1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Quesion about scn5 project

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Langster, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Langster

Langster New Member

Balance:
    8Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello,

I am building a frame for the simxperience motion kit. Does anyone know whether the forces from the following design are more realistic for kinesthesia and proprioception?

http://s262.photobucket.com/albums/ii11 ... GP2198.jpg

Compared to this type of design where the pedals and wheel remain fixed?

http://www.simxperience.com/

Thanks for any feedback

Cheers

Langster
  2. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    In my opinion you need more movement if the wheels/pedals are to move with you for good feelings. In this case you rely purely on pitch and roll position to simulate G-Forces.

The whole point behind the wheels/pedals stationary is to move only your body, simulating muscle tension in the legs and arms like G-Forces would. It also adds pitch and roll to the sensation to make it more powerful. For this type of simulation you don't need very much movement for relatively strong effects.

Considering the limited movement and torque/speed relationship of SCN5's, they are much better suited moving lighter loads in a seat-mover setup.
  3. Langster

Langster New Member

Balance:
    8Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Frakk thanks very much for your informative reply. I am in the early days of my understaing and the build of my simulator seat, and your reply makes perfect sense.

Langster
  4. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    No problem!

Moving only the seat you also eliminate any clearance problems caused by the pedals.
    This allows for a cleaner and more compact design.
  5. Langster

Langster New Member

Balance:
    8Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well I have made some progress since the last email. I have a bit more welding to do and then install the actuators which should soon arrive in the mail. I will post more once the scn5's arrive.

P1010286.JPG

Attached Files:

6. Langster

Langster New Member

Balance:
    8Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Does anyonw who has installed the simxperience motion starter kit have any useful info for initial installation of the scn5 actuators? I hope to receive mine in the next few days.

Thanks for any tips.

Langster
  7. Langster

Langster New Member

Balance:
    8Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well I received the simexperience starter kit and have installed the actuators and completed 4 hours of driving. Absolutely brilliant! I would recommend this kit to people who are a bit short of time, have the capacity to construct a frame and want a no-fuss approach to scn5 2dof simulators.

I will post some pictures in the next few days, and perhaps some video if I can figure out how to load the file.

Langster
  8. Langster

Langster New Member

Balance:
    8Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Re: Support frame for keyboard and wheel

Hello, can anyone point me to drawings/ideas for a frame that I can use/bolt onto the front of my sim seat frame? That is, a frame that is fixed to the sim base frame and not one that moves with the seat. Less materials is better for me as I need to move the seat from the garage fo the house for use so weight is an issue.
  9. Langster

Langster New Member

Balance:
    8Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    This are almost the latest pictures prior to installation of the G25 shifter and simxperience control box. Although the top wooden plate looks a bit flimsy on some pics it has held up to the rigours of most use without a problem.

I have used trainers wheels froma child's bike for mobility which finishes off the sim seat nicely. I have received considerbale assistance from the Australian agent and Birny from SimXperience to set up on my PC and would like to thank them for their customer service.

I will get a youtube video going hopefully some time in the next 3-weeks. Overall, I would summarise the 2-dof sim seat as an absolutely brilliant experience for a minimal buget project, and it was also a lot of fun to design and construct.

Cheers

Langster

Attached Files: