1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question PSU shutting down

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by WatchDoge, Sep 22, 2022.

1. WatchDoge

WatchDoge New Member

Balance:
    158Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I'm running MY1016 500w DD wheel with 12v 30amp ATX PSU and a single VNH2SP30 driver (almost equivalent to BTS7960), early free EMC software on Arduino Leonardo

When trying out the wheel at low % feedback it works as intended, but when I try to put force on it or hit the software steering lock, FFB shuts down with the driver, and the PSU needs to be restarted and power cycled.

Is it the PSU shutting down because of the AMP spike, or ''reverse'' or ''back current''.
    Or is it the driver shutting down and taking the PSU with it?

I have seen users power MY1016 and MY1020 with 12-30amp led/ATX PSUs and not having any problems.
    But I've also seen users suggest 60-80amp server PSUs just to handle the spikes.
  2. K120_Enthusiast

K120_Enthusiast Member

Balance:
    297Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I would suggest you put an oscilloscope in series with it to measure current, it should give you a good idea about the problem, alternatively you could use a multi meter, but I don't think it will be fast enough for this but it's worth a shot if you already have one.
  3. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0
    VNH2SP30 driver is small any way compared to BTS/BTN.

Also try to set the lowest pwm frequency. That will help with a driver including the BTS.

EMC has multiplier of force, it means that it gives full specs compared to MMOS for example. Thus where in MMOS You would have only, say 50% the curve of force multiplier in EMC will give all.
  4. elnino

elnino Active Member

Computer Geek
    Balance:
    1,457Coins
    Ratings:
    +136 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    I would say both the driver and power supply are not suitable for this motor.

My 48V My1020 (1000w) wheel at 12v does up to 90A if you try to push it past 'lock'. but averages 20-30. I run 3 X BTS7960 in parallel and a highly vented motor. Powered by a HP 1000W server power supply. Possibly overkill but I have never had an issue. EMC firmware on a STM32F407VGT6 'diymore' board.

If you're in Australia, I can send you a server power supply you can use - Just pay post.
    • Friendly Friendly x 1