1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Projector vs lcd

Discussion in 'Off Topic - All other stuff here' started by sn4il, Dec 18, 2009.

1. sn4il

sn4il New Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hi,
    So far I've been only racing on my 21 screen but since I'm almst done with the sim I'm looking for some better options.
    I have 52 bravia 1080p but never tried connecting pc to it.
    While watching some xsim videos I've noticed that many ppl use projectors.
    I've never used one before and simply not sure which route I should take.
    There are few 1080p projectors out there available at $1000-1500.
    Can anyone using projector share their experiences?
    Thnx
    sn4il
  2. splendiddd

splendiddd Active Member

CCTV security
    Balance:
    807Coins
    Ratings:
    +62 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino, Motion platform
    Hi,

Some years ago i used a Sony 1080p rearprojection tv 55 inch, it was very good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6R7_vM5GRs

Since sept 2008 i use a EPSON EMP-TW980, i think its amazing, its a 1080p projector with 2 years guarantee on the lamp.
    The distance vs diameter of the screen is very good about 100 inch, so is the picture, very immersive. i have used it for over 800 hours and it still works great, although i almost only use it for racing/fps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pleP-YsYI30

As you can see in the video's the projector is a better option... :lol:

Cheers

DSC01849.JPG
  3. sn4il

sn4il New Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Wow, I'm jelous, You got a great setup there.
    Your screen looks sweet.
    Good thing that xmass is coming :D I think I'm sold.
    Thank You

P.s. What guages are You using?
  4. Skaut69

Skaut69 Member

Balance:
    335Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    If you going for a Projector - do not go for cheap one. You can be very disappointed when you`ll see quality of the picture. Jumping from LCD to Projector might be difficult because of different type of projection. On LCD you have sharp picture - on projector you are getting some kind of blurry one when you are to close to the screen. If you will choose cheap projector you will end up with crappy picture even from right distance.

Absolutely Top at the moment is to make a setup of two Full HD Projectors with proper GPU. You will get right size of the objects and greatest immersion because of wide picture. With that you can easy go for a curved screen - at this resolution and picture size you will not get much of deformation to the view !
  5. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I agree with Skaut. LCD's have far better picture. If you think about the price of a projector, you have to think about replacing the bulb (unless you buy one with a LED), and also the screen. These are not cheap, and if you get a cheap screen, you will have a worse picture. On the other hand LCD's will last you forever and the picture will always be the same quality.

All in all it really depends on what you want to do. If you want to go above 70 (which in my opinion is pointless) and have the whole picture move, then projector will be better for weight and price. Also if you want a curved picture, projector is the only way. If the picture will be stationary and you don't need an absolutely huge screen then go with an LCD.
  6. splendiddd

splendiddd Active Member

CCTV security
    Balance:
    807Coins
    Ratings:
    +62 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I also agree with you guys, you need to have a good quality projector, and the one i have is such one. the picture is crystal clear. i think that two or three 1080p beamers would be awesome, but a little costly. one beamer is enough for me, and its projecting 100 inch in diameter (about 270x150) i also tested smaller sizes, but the bigger is better in my opinion, but Frakk stated he thinks its pointless, i disagree, maybe its a matter of taste.

I tried over the years different displays, from 30inch Dell, LCD TV's, Rearprojection from 42 to 55 inch to the beamer i now have. I have to say i am more that satisfied with the current projector solution. (my epson was about 1700 euro's at the time)
    About the gauges, i bought them some time ago from a french dude who makes these things, its based on the boards from beta innovation, and they are ok, but way to expensive...(I learned that later) also newer games are not really supported, because sadly beta innovations doesn't exist anymore. I linked a video of my current setup/game room. you get a idea of the large screen. Sorry for the bad quality. (my camera is broken)

Regards,

Rob

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqA7VH4ol6M
  7. Skaut69

Skaut69 Member

Balance:
    335Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Me and Splendiddd understand eachother in case of picture. Guys - it is all about size. When you will get 100 inch screen then you will finally get correct size of objects. To feel right you need to match those from reality. The Best would be 150 but 100 is good enough to feel immersed and see right proportion of environment.
    My setup is: Panasonic PT AE-3000 (100 inch of projected picture) - you do not have to listen me just read any review abut this one. It is just killer in matters of quality. When is properly set up easy can beat quality of LCD TV (i had one (50in) next to it and i gave it away).

Attached Files:

8. sn4il

sn4il New Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I do some studio photography and I'm planing to use existing backdrop that I have, its 13'x8'.
    I was also thinking of using projector to preview pictures I'm taking. I read a lot of reviews recently and it looks like quality varies between available units. Both Panasonic's PT-AE3000U and PT-AE4000U HD together with Epson look good and have good reviews. There is also one model available by Sanyo capable of 120hz.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5 ... ll_HD.html

I gues I have to do some more reading and pull the trigger before I spend money on something else ;)
    sn4il
  9. ledfoot

ledfoot Member

IT Manager
    Balance:
    21Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I also use a projector and have a 120 sreen. I love the sense of immersion that you get from a large screen but I think I am going to eventually trade that for a large 3 screen setup (3, 42 LCD screens). Only because I would like to be able to see objects to the left and right of me when racing and a single screen no matter how large does not allow for that.

If you have the space and can deal with always having to sim with the lights dim, then go for a good quality projector over the LCD.

....Mike
  10. splendiddd

splendiddd Active Member

CCTV security
    Balance:
    807Coins
    Ratings:
    +62 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    :clap: Can't agree more.... i usually play race games with the hood-cam, the hood of the car matches almost the real size also the road surface is much more realistic...very cool..... :rofl:

BTW: doesn't 120Hz support 3D? i read that somewhere.... Also i know that masteryoda had a 3x50 inch beamer setup in the past, maybe he can comment on this. (he has a youtube video of it somewhere on the net.)

Cheers
  11. MasterYoda

MasterYoda Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    322Coins
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    Guys,

I have tested almost everything.

Started with a 19 LCD, then a 720p projector, moved to a 42 HDTV, then 3 x 22 LCD, back to 42 full HDTV, then 3x 50 with 3 x 720p projectors and now I use a single 1080p projector! Ufa...

So, the 3 x 22 is way TOO small if you have a motion seat.
    The 42 full HDTV was nice, the pixel quality is really good, because it is small, yet.
    3 x 50 720p projectors was cool, but then the pixel quality is too bad.
    Even on the 1080p I use a drop down screen, with about 80, and it needs to be a GOOD graphic card to properly deal with filtering, AA, AF, supersampling, otherwise you get crap image.

I really like the 3 screen immersion, tho. There is no competition for that... But, it needs to be 3 x 1080p.
    The problem is that you would need about 4 gpx cards to have good filtering performance for such resolution.
    It seems that CXC uses softTH, but I can tell you from my tests that this option does NOT filter enough for a good quality image over 22/24...

Than, I will have to agree that today, 2 x 1080p projectors in a slightly curved screen (not much due to distortion) should be the best option available.

In the end you need to evaluate if it is going to be a dedicated race sim.
    I though the 1080p projector to be the best option in the moment because at the same room I race, I also watch movies and play PS3... So it is a solution compatible with everything I need, too. ;-)

Cheers.

MY
  12. sn4il

sn4il New Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
  13. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    splendiddd, thats a nice cockpit. Maybe more like a spaceship simulator :D I said 100 is pointless because I would rather have a smaller picture but closer. I was also referring to a moving picture like in a Joyrider setup where you have the screen as close as a computer monitor. Of course if you have the screen further away 100 will be good.
  14. Skaut69

Skaut69 Member

Balance:
    335Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    120hz it is about output given by projector. It is - what you will see. Panasonic call it FRAME CREATION. He can put additional frame between the other and with that create smoother picture (you can get double or triple). Fact is that you will still have 60hz input on all of them and that means - nothing good for 3D glasses.

BTW: Frame Creation is really good when you wanna get more clear picture - specially when you have fast action movement. Panasonic also have Details Clarity process which means you can see even small hair on human skin !
  15. Skaut69

Skaut69 Member

Balance:
    335Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    splendiddd: i usually play race games with the hood-cam, the hood of the car matches almost the real size also the road surface is much more realistic...very cool.

- oooo yeeee mate !!!

It is pointless to have cockpit with steering wheel on the screen when you have one on the simulator. Specially when you got that space one - very nice splendiddd !
  16. Skaut69

Skaut69 Member

Balance:
    335Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    In my situation screen is 200cm far from my eyes. On 100 inch picture (1980x1080 2x AA with Frame Creation on 1) i can see sharp picture without disorientation. Some times when you are to close you can not be able to see properly what is on the screen and you spending to much time to try get right focus. Thing is that i feel so much immersed in the game (on that size of picture and distance from it) that i am not able to see black areas out of screen.

True is like also MasterYoda mentioned that TOP already will be 2x 1080p. With that wideness and size of screen you will feel right in there.
  17. splendiddd

splendiddd Active Member

CCTV security
    Balance:
    807Coins
    Ratings:
    +62 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thank you guys for the compliments :cheers:

Like Skaut69 i have the screen also about 2 mtrs or more from my eyesight, displaying at a resolution of 1920x1080 with at least 2x AA with dirt2. GTRE and other simbin games at 6 x AA. its just right and for me the best solution at the moment. i am still working on an update for the screen for displaying it on my wall, i think i will buy some projector-paint. i also have a electric drop-down screen, but thats only about 80 inch or so, so i am now projecting directly on my wall, its sharp and good enough for fast racing-games, but with a better surface and projector-paint it will be better. This will be my next project, maybe even thinking about curving the screen somewhat, not sure. any tips? i don't think there are complete 'curved' screens on the market, plus i think i would consider it twice because i would still want to display movies on it. Though racing/gaming obviously has a bigger priority ;D

Cheerz
  18. Fahim

Fahim Member

Balance:
    245Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    what is the price range of good projector: for example EPSON EMP-TW980. It looked good in the you tube video.
  19. Skaut69

Skaut69 Member

Balance:
    335Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Curved screen on 100 inch makes picture looks unnatural because of distortion. Just depends of how much it is shaped this way. I had my just a little bit curved and i couldn`t watch that (movies and games). My screen is made by me. I did use for it plastic, frame construction with snow white laminate surface. This laminate is used in factory to make some door surface. They press that thing on them. It`s cheap and really white snow.

Panasonic PT AE3000 is about 2000 £ (AE4000 - 2200 £). Maybe less at the moment. Go for PT AE2000 model from two years back - it is best for a price. You will be surprised in matters of quality. I`ve seen used one on eBay for about 700 £ (400 houers on the lamp).
  20. splendiddd

splendiddd Active Member

CCTV security
    Balance:
    807Coins
    Ratings:
    +62 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    The Epson was at the time 1700 euro, i don't think its available anymore. here are some specs: http://www.aboutprojectors.com/Epson-EM ... ector.html
    Its a shame they dropped this model, they do have other models, but they are or not FullHD or very expensive. maybe you should look at the one Skaut has.

About the screen-project, I think i will just make a good static screen, no curved one. it is good as it is now. :)