1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Project Playseat

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by ODDNAME, Jun 26, 2007.

1. ODDNAME

ODDNAME New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    As the topic hints I'll be basing my simulator on a playseat which I got a few days ago.

Just a few wonderings atm, do you think i can get enough power/motion with just 2 cylinders? 1 to rock it back and forth, and 1 to rock it side to side. Combined motion will simulate a circular motion, so the motion is not the issue maybe, but the power itself maybe?
    But personally i dont think it'll be a problem if positiond correctly, but I'm not the pro here =)

Planning to use 50mm cylinders with the length of 320mm.

Small update: Found a hopefully nice compressor, does a 8bar 2Hp seem enough to power just 2 cylinders? It pumps 222l/min and has a 50l tank.

Considering my design, to first mount the seat, at its center of gravity or what it's called in english, on a mount that allows it to move and support it so that its not just 100% weight on the cylinders.

Simple first draft on how I'm thinking:
    http://www.lolz.se/uploader/pics/illu2.jpg

And a simple picture of the complete setup:
    http://www.lolz.se/uploader/pics/playseat.jpg

What I actually have to do on the playseat itself is making a reinforced construction under the seat to make the connection for the base, and probably from the back to the front on the sides, for stability on pedals and steering wheel.

//Marcus
  2. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Hi and wellcome,

Its a question of pressure ;)

I think 320mm stroke could be too much for your setup. I would watch out for 100-200mm stroke.

Please be aware that such compressors, like you are going to buy, make a lot of noise and are a overkill for your puropose. You should better buy 2 airbrush copressors. They provide 3 bar and have an airflow between 20-60L/min each. Thats enough. You dont need 8bar for your single seater ;)

You'll need a Velleman VM110. Do you already know where you are going to connect the pots?

regards
    ego
  3. ODDNAME

ODDNAME New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was thinking about using the diy-usbboard, or this isnt good for this use? =) Im pretty handy with electronics/mechanics, just never played with pneumatics =)

About the compressor, didnt think it needed that little pressure and flow, so thats a nice surprise, but if this compressor is cheaper than 2x airbrush I'll use it, since i can store it in another room, I dont THINK it will make that much sound, hopefully =)

Another question i have is, when the seat is neutral, should the cylinder be half-extended then? =) so it can extend/retract to move it left/right for example.
  4. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Well, the parts to assemble one 1.3 interface cost ~30-35 Euro (if you burn some parts, then its more expensive), you have to solder many small SMD parts and you have to programm a PIC.

On the other hand, there is the VM110. Ready assembled for 40 Euro.
    Now its up to you.

LOL, it will, for sure!

The only brand which makes silent compressors, is afaik jun air. They,re from Finnland or from Sweden, perhaps. If you could get such a compressor, grab it.
  5. ODDNAME

ODDNAME New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Got a point there, ill look into that, although I dont mind soldering smd and programming pics, my programmer is longing for something to program =) I feel sorry for it, but hey, I dont like to work if it can be avoided so ill check for the vellemanboard.

Valves; 5/3 with 1/4 connector, middle close, seems correct? =)

Another thought about the placement of the cylinders, wouldnt it be better if I placed both in the back? Rather than my current, so that both can work together with all movements, rather then just 1 per axis.
    It seems better, wouldnt be any more trouble configuring it in the software?
    Every movement is 100% configurable I reckon, so that 2 cylinders in the back can do what 1 cylinder in the back and 1 at the side, can do right?

Before I forget, when looking at this picture http://www.x-simulator.de/forum/uploade ... VM129_.JPG.
    There are 2 valves per cylinder, lets say I'll use that too, how exactly do I split the pressure per valve? Is it some little thing that can control pressure you connect, or is it something most valve have?
    Say i get 3.2bar, is it like 1 bar on 1 valve = slow, 2 bar on another = normal and then both on = 3bar, fast?
    If possible, base answer on info about the compressors below =)
    One for each cylinder.

And to add some more, just realized, never asked about my controller,
    will the software/hardware work with a G25 hardware-setup as it use usb?

Edit:

Found 2 nice 3.2bar 68l compressors for the same price as the big one. =)
  6. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    If you have the cylinders, you can try out different setups. If you put both cylinders in the back, you have to assign it in the profiler and make some movement profiles for it.

Valves with integrated chokes are more expensive. But you could buy instead some cheap chokes seperately.
  7. ODDNAME

ODDNAME New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nice, im currently making it with softmotion, it should work with the velleman usb-board? =)

As well as, the software doesnt require a gameport-interface for the steeringwheel? So any usb-wheel will work.
  8. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    yes

Yes ;)
  9. ODDNAME

ODDNAME New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I do love this forum, full of imagination and really helpful people =)
    Now all I need is the pneumatic, then I can start building. Proved to be harder to obtain though, currently trying to get prices from festo.
    Just waint for the mail =) Explained the situation, and they are to provide me with 3 models of valves with correct properties, and the condition that they are the cheapest.

But in the end it'll feel nice, having made this almost on my own =)
  10. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Watch out for Festo MEH 5/3 middle closed G1/8 or G1/4. But, maybe other brands offer some cheaper ones. For example norgren, smc and others.
  11. ODDNAME

ODDNAME New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    1/4 im waiting for prices for =) from festo that is, will look at those other companies you listed.

A thought about the motion, when the base is in neutral position, the valves need to be half-extended right? Otherwise i cant get a 100% pitch, just pitch at 1 direction. With half-extenden pitch can be achieved both forth and back. And, do you see any issue with using 50mm cylinders? 50mm with 200mm length as suggested