1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question Power window motors for Gseat

Discussion in 'Motor actuators and drivers' started by Ivan the terrible, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Ivan the terrible

Ivan the terrible New Member

Retired
    Balance:
    174Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hey there,

I like the idea of upcycling/recycling motors. I am surrounded by wreckers out here so I can get stuff pretty inexpensively. $21 bucks for wiper motors, less for power window motors.

Would power window motors be an alternative for a Gseat? I wont need alot of torque for what i want to do. I just want to squish the driver a bit. I figure it would be easy to get 4 motors from the front and back doors of one truck/car/suv. Any opinions on this?

Also for wiper motors is there a specific vehicle I should look for (F150 Dodge ram or others suvs) that have the ground wire and are "good enough". I understand some use the housing as the ground and are tougher to modify.

I also read that the automatic door motors on mini vans are good options. I can get 2 off a dodge journey type van. I like that option too.

I know about the PGSAW motor. Likely down the road that would be the way I go. I just like the idea of using car parts where I can.

Scrap heap simming lol.

Any help would be great,
  2. BlazinH

BlazinH Well-Known Member

Balance:
    16,572Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    While they may provide enough power for your needs window motors normally have a thermal switch that shuts them off when they get hotter than normal so you don't catch your car on fire if there's a short or the button is pressed for to long. Good chance it would need to be bypassed if possible.
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  3. Kranky Pantz

Kranky Pantz Active Member

Balance:
    1,248Coins
    Ratings:
    +290 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, Motion platform
    Hi Ivan,

While I appreciate your recycling motto (save the planet!), I can't say enough good things about how well the PGSaw motors have been working out for me.
    Living in BC, I was able to deal directly with Kim (the owner) by phone and have two motors and a few other parts shipped directly to me for a very reasonable cost.
    Arrived in 2 days from Prince George to the Coquitlam area.

It has been well worth the extra expense, and if you do indeed plan on upgrading to them in the near future after first using wiper motors you might want to take into account that doing so will also require other rig modifications since they are physically different designs.

You'll most likely need to remake your motor mounts, levers, rods, motor-position sensors, etc.
    If that isn't an issue then your original plan should be fine for getting started.

Good luck with whatever you decide. :thumbs