1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Power steering motors to 2DOF+TL

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by JaniK, Jan 23, 2023.

1. JaniK

JaniK New Member

Balance:
    39Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hello all.

I have started to gather parts for 2DOF+TL rig. Mainly after watching this forum and YouTube videos by D Max about building the rigs, decided to give it a go.

Initially thought to make a cheap wiper motor rig, but soon read about the small power and then started looking for crab pot pullers. But since they blow the budget really fast, instead went for 3x power steering motors from Toyota Corolla. (They are ~20years old though) but I got them under half the price vs. crab pot motors. (2xRHD + 1xLHD)

DSC_0285~2.JPG

Here is a good comparison of 2005 Corolla power steering motor vs. Small wiper motor

DSC_0306~2.JPG

I will continue to add progress here but as for now, just waiting for rest of the parts and planning the rig. (Checking how much square tubing I allready have around the garage. Can I use them, where am I going to fit the rig :eek:etc.)

It will be something similar to compact rig by D Max, but with light twist...
  2. zapata_h

zapata_h Active Member

Industrial Maintenance Manager
    Balance:
    307Coins
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Arduino
    You must take into account when connecting the motors that they must be completely isolated from ground, you can damage the electronics
  3. Gadget999

Gadget999 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    11,610Coins
    Ratings:
    +458 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    How many amps / watts are the motors ?

The look pretty chunky :)
  4. zapata_h

zapata_h Active Member

Industrial Maintenance Manager
    Balance:
    307Coins
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Arduino
    Depending on the type of driver you use, for example the IBT2 can reach 43A, enough to control 1 motor
  5. JaniK

JaniK New Member

Balance:
    39Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Ok, so I ordered all parts and then got too much to do when they arrived, then summer arrived and this project was mainly gathering dust for past 6months.

I have here:
    Arduino Uno
    3x IBT2 drivers
    3x Hall effect sensors
    3x IBM 1400W 12V PSU from server (might use just one for 2DOF + one for traction loss and Arduino)

Motor arms have modified with some raw size flat iron arms. I have also a box full of car tie rods and "dogbones" for joints.

"Enough" box section steel in various surplus sizes that I have gatherer here and there.

The motors are quite chunky indeed.
    From center of axle to end of motor is about 21cm / ~ 8"

Motor thickness is about 75mm /~3"

Watched some @Halloween2go wiring videos last night and got some new fire to make this project real for the next winter, when I have time to drive.

Propably will take a month to see any progress from this "I have everything I need, but no time" point, but this project is not totally forgotten
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Frantik

Frantik New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    211Coins
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I built one january last year too with prius motors. worked great!
  7. JaniK

JaniK New Member

Balance:
    39Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hi, I think I have seen short video of your simulator. :cheers:thumbs Thanks for the ping on the thread.

PROGRESS:

Allright I have some updates.

Motor lever arms for 2DOF are welded, still need to decide the hole location.
    DSC_5348.JPG

I made a traction loss trolley mockup from some leftover wood to verify my design before starting to make it from metal.
    DSC_5364.JPG

The wheels are aligned so that the trolley pivot point is between the motor axles.

RHD and LHD power steering motors make a nice fit. (Alttough the motor mounts originally have a little angle difference as seen in pic)
    • Like Like x 1
  8. JaniK

JaniK New Member

Balance:
    39Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    More progress:

I made a metal middle frame, I played a lot with simcalc and changed some dimensions accordingly to get better results.

Here is what the work in progress frame looks with joint and easier part of the motor mounts: DSC_5488.JPG

I then made wooden top frame "main dimensions test mule" to get some rod mounting places appear before my eyes.

Screwed the "high end wooden rods" to top frame, and used a clamp on the motor side lever to test the actual movements of the system with given dimensions before drilling hole to lever.

DSC_5530.JPG

I am very pleased. CTC 60mm. Hopefully the motors have enough juice for this. If not, I will change to lower CTC.

I used max angle 40degrees from the lever resting place in simcalc.

My friend lend me rpm counter so here we have a testing pic with old atx power supply and slightly lower voltage output for motor:
    DSC_5553.JPG

I think about 140rpm @12Volts is close enough

There should be about 8degrees pitch and 15degrees roll.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. JaniK

JaniK New Member

Balance:
    39Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    A lot of progress :D

DSC_5712~2.JPG

The top frame for seat, steering wheel and pedals is about 80-90% complete.

Built the mounts compatible for Fanatec CSL DD wheelbase and CSL pedals.

The steering wheel mount may seem odd, because it is. :D It's the Toyota Corolla Adjustable steering wheel system ! (Angle and distance of wheel can be adjusted, added weight from this part trimmed is 1111grams. Arm still needs slight modification.) This just came with one of the motors, so I thought I would try use it rather than discard it.

The pedal distance adjustment is done with a car "trailer support leg/wheel holder", might not work like this though, I will report later.

Angle of side supports to match each other.
    DSC_5628~2.JPG

Angle of steering wheel mount 0-position was determined with a temporary jig tube first.
    DSC_5634~2.JPG

Seat base welding jig
    DSC_5696~2.JPG

Here is steering rod parts from the cars that had the cheapest parts in compatible lenght :grin

DSC_5727~2.JPG

The top rod mount is not yet welded, will adjust position after I get the seat, pedals (+perhaps mod the pedal adjustment system) and wheelbase mounted to find the exact balance point of the rig for me, so I can get the geometry right and drill holes for the U-joint.
  10. JaniK

JaniK New Member

Balance:
    39Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    I decided to use some leftover 2mm aluminium to make a mount for the HAL sensors. This is what I came up with.
    DSC_8227~2.JPG
    Still need to trim bolt head and then the sensor will be connected to the remaining thread with a small piece of rubber tubing I found from garage.

3d printed a case by @poumpouny from:
    https://www.xsimulator.net/communit...o-uno-r3-3-ibt-2-bts-7960-motor-driver.18380/

Mine worked out little warped in corners, and some 80% quality print from my machine with a larger 0.8mm nozzle, but it will do the job just fine after trimming.
    DSC_8228~2.JPG
    • Like Like x 1
  11. JaniK

JaniK New Member

Balance:
    39Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    It's alive !

Control box 2DOF built and tested.

(Will tidy when I add TL ibt2 later.)
    DSC_8272.JPG

But mainly the 2 DOF Part of rig is now done. :D
    DSC_8313.JPG

Testing teddy is ready for action!
    DSC_8312.JPG
    I really like how it looks all together.

The TL part will be added little later.

More pictures and videos to come soon!
    :popcorn
    • Like Like x 1