1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

possible to build your own valve system and pistons?

Discussion in 'Pneumatic equipment - outdated' started by yobuddy, Feb 11, 2007.

1. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,171Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,036 / 16 / -0
    What’s up everybody?

First off, I want to thank you guys for porting the program to English, I know it’s time consuming, but it’s much appreciated. I got a good look at the x-sim USB interface and believe that I can build it without too many problems. And now that I can read the program without problems it looks quite exciting (thanks guys!). but I have never seen a rock n’ ride here in the states. So I was wondering if it would be possible to build the valve system and actuators and then incorporate them into a home built sim?
    It looks like people are currently looking into some electronic linear actuators for an assumed much more realistic sim, so I’m also wondering if there is any other electric servos or steppers that has been adopted to fit your program?

Thanks guys!
  2. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Hey yobuddy

Welcome to our Forum!

We noticed, that it is impossible to establish a big community which uses the x-sim software, if we do not translate it. And of course the homepage as well.

Its easy to build if you have some basic skills in soldering. The selfmade USB interface has a noticeable advantage regarding the response time.

In a few days a spelling update will be released.

German Produkt. Frame design is imho genious, but the stock controlling unit is crap. What a luck that we have x-sim ;)

Sure! For example, you could look for FESTO or SMC. They provide valveblocks and cylinders. But other manufacturers are compatible as well. The outputs of the x-sim hardware interfaces are all I/O.

What for a design do you have in your mind. Any plans, sketches or photos, yet?

So far, just pneumatics and hydraulics are supported.
    I hope that the translated hp and software will allure some guys with experiences with steppers.

If you want a special article of x-simulator.de to be translated, ask me. But please note, we are supporting this project just in our spare time. It will take some time, untill the complete hp is translated, still.

regards
  3. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,171Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,036 / 16 / -0
    Thanks egoexpress for the reply!

I don’t think id try to come up with any new fancy design, just try to build a rock n ride with much better software ;) (Thanks guys!) and and equipment. Just something I could manly have fun playing live for speed in. but really Id like to try all the plug-ins.

I think what would help the most people is a diagram, drawing or picture of how the whole system connects together (or just me lol). I’m under the impression that the PC connects to the homemade USB interface which connects to the valve block which in turn connects to the air cylinders, and then an air compressor feeds the valve block? But I would have no idea how it really all connects. I also see that some people are using 4 cylinders instead of two and would like to know the advantage of such a setup?

Could you give me some specks on the valve block I should be looking for? From the pictures it looks like the original block holds 8 valves, are they any special kind? And what about the stroke and bore size of the pistons?

Sorry for all the questions, I sure appreciate your help!
  4. RaceRay

RaceRay Administrator Staff Member SimAxe Beta Tester

Self-employed | Web and application development
    Balance:
    23,838Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,965 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, SimforceGT
    Hi yoBuddy,

welcome!

Thats correct. You have to notice, that you should use a second PC to control the usb interface, and the main PC for your game. If you use a Dual Core CPU , it should be possible to use only one PC.

The original valves from the RnR are special kinds by the manufacture.

But you can search for ventilinsel at ebay.de. There you find cheap standard valveblocks from SMC. They need 24V, so you have to modifiy the USB interface a little bit, because it use 12V.
    A option is to use the conrad relaiscard or the conrad USB Interface K8055D without any great modifications.

The advantage of 4 cylinders is a more stabalize and stronger motion of the chair. The control is more precisly.

RenoBoss has implemented standard valves in his RnR, he should have more detailed infos.

kind regards
    RaceRay
  5. yobuddy

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,171Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,036 / 16 / -0
    Thanks RaceRay for the reply!

Would something like this work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/SMC-Pneumatic-8-Sol ... dZViewItem

I do need one with 8 solenoids right?

Am I right in thinking that the 16 outputs of the USB 1.3 board connect to the 8 solenoids, with 4 solenoids for each axis?

When you use 4 cylinders instead of 2, do you just tap into the existing air lines or do you need another set of valves?
    Thanks!
  6. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Yes, but you need only 8 solenoids

I do not have the USB 1.3 board; but it looks like there are 16 connections on it. So you can connect 8 solenoids there.

Clip a y-connector to the air hoses. Imho you cannot use another set of valves because the resistance would decrease and this could destroy your circuit board.

regards
  7. yobuddy

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,171Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,036 / 16 / -0
    Thanks egoexpress for the feedback!

I was under the impression that the valve block in the link above had only 8 Solenoids?
    I have tried to piece together a diagram of how I see it all going together.
    I’m hoping some other people can help edit the diagram to show the missing connections.
    I will also update the diagram as I learn more.

[​IMG]

Do we use string potentiometers for position feedback on the cylinders; I suppose the rock n ride already has some kind of position feedback?
  8. yobuddy

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,171Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,036 / 16 / -0
    Sorry, image didnt work
  9. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
  10. yobuddy

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,171Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,036 / 16 / -0
    Thanks again egoexpress - I was having trouble figuring it out.

[​IMG]

Much better!
  11. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    If you have dual- or multi-core processor, you wont need a second pc. the rest seems to be ok.
  12. yobuddy

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,171Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,036 / 16 / -0
    Thanks for the replies!

I’m wondering if I can’t figure out how to run 24v valves off of the USB 1.3, if I could just use something like this for my 8 valves?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VALVES-A ... dZViewItem

and im under the impression that the valve < - > air hose < - > cylinder connection looks something like this

[​IMG]

Thanks again for all your help!
  13. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Hi

That looks perfect!

If you dont mind I would like to place your sketch on the x-sim hp ;)

too expensive. For 35$ you nearly get a complete valve block imho

regards
  14. yobuddy

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,171Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,036 / 16 / -0
    Thanks for the reply!

After all the questions I’ve asked, I think I owe you quite a few sketches lol.
    I’m hoping once I fully understand how to build a complete rig without an original rock n’ ride, that I will be able to make one large diagram anyone could understand no matter what language they happen so speak.

The problem I am having with getting a valve block is that I have only seen them with 24v valves.

If there is anything I can help with for the website, please don’t be afraid to ask egoexpress, I’d have no problems contributing to the cause!

Thanks again bro!

Thought I'd post a couple of pictures of a very cheap string pot I made for another project. I’m thinking I will probably use a couple of these with this project. Do you guys use 10K pots? There is position feedback, right? It’s really hard to tell what the original Rock n’ Ride uses from the pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. yobuddy

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,171Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,036 / 16 / -0
  16. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Imho you should take off the part with the (parallel?)-port connection and connect your cables directly to the valves.

Never heard the brand; but they look quite useful. You even could get valves for 2 Simulators out of the block ;-)

regards
  17. yobuddy

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,171Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,036 / 16 / -0
    Thanks egoexpress for all your help!

One last question before I think I can start building my sim chair. And that’s how does everything connect to the USB 1.3?

Since I don’t have a Rock n’ Ride here in the states to look at, there is no way for me to copy how the connections are made.
    Is there a pin-out for the board? Or a wiring diagram for the original Rock n’ Ride’s harness?

Or could you or someone else help me finish the diagram below?

[​IMG]

Thanks for all the help!
  18. yobuddy

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,171Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,036 / 16 / -0
    Fabricated my very first circuit board today and it happened to be a RnR USB 1.3!
    Thought I’d post a picture for fun.

[​IMG]

Looks much better in real life, the camera adds a funny glair.
    Sure hope someone can tell me how to wire it up :) .
  19. yobuddy

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,171Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,036 / 16 / -0
    After studding many pictures of the original Rock n Ride, I have figured out how the slider pot’s work on the machine to calculate position. It’s really a neat design. So all I need to know now is how to wire the valves to the USB 1.3 board.
    Is it configurable in software? Or will I need to wire it the same as an original Rock n Ride valve system? Could someone point me in the right direction?

[​IMG]

Thanks!
  20. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0