1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Porsche 986/996 Project

Discussion in 'New users start here - FAQ' started by BHawthorne, Dec 12, 2010.

1. BHawthorne

BHawthorne New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've been slowly collecting pieces for a Porsche 986/996 simulator and am now to the point to begin building. Is X-Sim something I should be using to do this build? I want to interface the instrument cluster or put servos and LEDs in for the warning lights. I'll be using the Fanatec PWTS with Clubsport pedals.

Here is a list of my games, I have a few racing games:
    http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/7656 ... es?tab=all

Here is a pic of my parts so far:
    img2768m2.jpg
  2. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I don't think you have any other options, unless you want to rewrite parts of it. :)

There are a couple good projects interfacing real clusters to X-Sim if you look around.

Cool project, keep us posted!
  3. BHawthorne

BHawthorne New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  4. BHawthorne

BHawthorne New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Here is a bit better picture of the console and dash parts. The carpet and trim pieces made it hard to see in the previous pic. I've got a lot of building to do ahead of me, but that's half the fun. :)

Attached Files:

5. BHawthorne

BHawthorne New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hrrrm, I must be posting in the wrong section. Either that or this forum is semi-dead...
  6. Mexwall

Mexwall New Member

Balance:
    345Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Directly interfacing with the cluster will be very difficult if it has canbus. You won't be abble to replicate the signals from the other components in the car who put the messages on the canbus.
  7. BHawthorne

BHawthorne New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Worse case, I just crack open the cluster and add servos to the needles. No worries.
  8. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    A better idea would have been to use air-core motor drivers connected to the air-cores.
    The air-cores move a lot smoother than the servos, and they dont produce that anoying servo noise.

regards
  9. BHawthorne

BHawthorne New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If people would help me through this I'd be willing to go this route. :)
  10. BHawthorne

BHawthorne New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Is the language barrier the reason why I don't see much posting or is this forum not used much? Either way, i would expected more welcome in a new users start here subforum. It sort of dumbfounds me that I working up a detailed simpit build and noone is interested.
  11. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Its a kind of forum that you need to read alot! If you do, you will find every question you wanted to ask already answered!

Be patience! Sometimes you have to think and do stuff by yourself. Dont expect others to do all work for you! Its a Do-It-Yourself forum after all!

Regards, Thanos
  12. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    Welcome.

You probably arrived at a bad time because the website is having technical difficulty. I think many people may not be able to get here and if they can, the odds of them being able to post a response is not good. I had to reload the home page three times before I could get past the MySQL errors and actually get the page to come up. Odds are good that I will have to try several times to make this post.

I like the idea of a real full dash. Egoexpress is correct IMHO, the aircore route is much better than the servo route. Every DIY sim builder has his or her own skillset. If you are looking to make an aircore gauge project, there isn't a tidy guide that you can follow here in these forums. You would require some electronics knowledge in any case. The Y part of DIY in these forums generally means some reading on your part, although if you have a specific question, someone may be able to point you in the direction of the required reading.
  13. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    It's Christmas time, and I guess quite a lot of people here in the forum are occupied with their family and organising the festivities or are on vacations.

Regarding air-core drivers. Here is a thread regarding this issue for example:
    aircores-ardurino-controller-t2502.html
    There may be better air-core driver projects however. At least better for those who want to rebuild, as that project lacks a printable pcb layout.

Most of the projects presented in the X-Sim forum are pioneers work after all.

Looking forward to see your progress.
    Regards
  14. BHawthorne

BHawthorne New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    All this stuff is DIY, but forums exist to help people walk through these DIY projects and survive them -- otherwise why would this forum exist? My 180-degree triple projection setup is a prime example of DIY. That doesn't mean I have any clue about air cores or electronics. This is why I'll need help working through those things.

One would assume my triple circular projection work is pioneering too. It's not like I'm afraid to experiment, I'm just asking to be pointed in the right direction.
  15. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    Perhaps my post was misunderstood. What I am trying to say is that while there are many projects here that can be accomplished with minimal knowledge of electronics, the air core setup that you are trying to build is not one of them. Thats what I meant by there is no tidy guide that you can follow. There are a wide variety of guides here posted by contributors, and that IMHO is the purpose of this forum. Unfortunately, in the case of your endeavor, I don't believe that such as contribution has been made. Even if it had, it is likely that you will require some electronics skills (soldering, component sourcing, PCB etching), etc..

There may be some off-the shelf kit that I am not aware of, but it is highly unlikely.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
  16. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    You have to have electronics knowledge to build custom electronics, I think this is common sense. If you have no clue about electronics, you won't understand even if we tried to explain it to you.

You should look for something ready made, that is compatible with your real dash.

Maybe this one? Shoot them an email.
    http://www.symprojects.com/shop/rev-burner/

ps. Your screen setups are impressive, they would be great with a moving sim.
  17. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    Frakk is right, the Rev Burner will get you part way to your goal of reproducing the Porsche dash, but AFAIK, it is only for the RPM gauge.
  18. BHawthorne

BHawthorne New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Maybe multiple could be used and just assign different functions to them? I have a few friends that know aircraft instrumentation. Maybe I could work with them on the air core retrofitting?
  19. Mexwall

Mexwall New Member

Balance:
    345Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think you first need to research the chips on your cluster. And you need te find out if you have aircores or steppenmotors.

It's nearly impossible to communicate directly to the cluster if it has canbus, but if the aircores/steppenmotors are driven by an external chip you might be abble to by pas the canbus chip and communicate directly to the aircore/steppenmotor driver chip.

The rev-burner puts out a pmw signal, 5 or 12 volts, so this is only usefull if your cluster got these signals from the original car.

If you post the numbers that are on the chips here, we might be abble to help you on your way to get it to work.
  20. BHawthorne

BHawthorne New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm tied up getting ready for CES 2011. I'll probably be back to this stuff mid-January. Paying jobs take precedence over my personal projects. ;D