1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Pololu servo controller USB

Discussion in 'SimTools compatible interfaces' started by kenneth, Jul 11, 2011.

1. kenneth

kenneth New Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi hope you can help . I hope to make a motion sim but to see if I have the ability I intend to build a model first.I have a Pololu 6 servo controller USB and I want to set it up to the x sim software.I have loaded it and tested it with the Pololu software and it works fine. Question 1 is the x sim software supposed to see the device in the interface screen.
    If question 1 is no how can I get x sim to communicate with the unit.

PS I have a x.box controller plugged into the pc and this works fine with the x sim software.

Hope you can help
  2. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,398Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    Answer 1. No but ya can talk directly to the card through uso commands

OK now ya must find out the command comport the card is using mine was com3.
    Then set a datapacket to drive the servos. Eg ~255~~ao1~~9~ which sends a command to move to position a01 for servo plugged into port 9 on the servo controller. 1-8 - 90 deg servos , 9-16 for 180 deg of total movement.
    and its 8 bit binary output. and value should be 1 * 1 + 0.
    Hope that helps, sorry not a full tutorial still writting one for it and jrk as i use the serial card (old one) to run my test bed for writing new profiles saves firing the sim until i have the profile near right.
    :thbup:
  3. kenneth

kenneth New Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi thanks for the info found this did it how do I test it.
    Do I need to run a simulator or is their a place in the software i can send info to the servo to move it.
  4. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,398Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    use the test plugin in the force sender mate.
    set one slider for x and one for the other
  5. kenneth

kenneth New Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks
    Now I have a tester and I can see it working in the software I can also see that when I change the refresh time in the set-up software the LED's on the PCB flicker at a diferent rate thus showing I have the right COM port and I am talking to the right place. I have put ~255~~a01~~01~ in the middle of the three comunication strings I have also got a Axis 1 set 1*1+0 and in the other side I have a G force sender selected . I still have somthing wrong as no servo movment .Do you have any idea what I have still got missing.
  6. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,398Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    ok sorry mate used a serial verson only.

so from what i read in http://www.pololu.com/docs/0J40/5.e we need to phrase it differently.
    New phrase is ~255~~1~~a01~.
    Again sorry wrong card, hope this helps
    And its 8 bit decimal.
  7. kenneth

kenneth New Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Thanks I found this Re: Pololu Maestro 6 servo controller and small rc servos I followed it and it is now working.
  8. kenneth

kenneth New Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I now have a fully functional mini 3dof system time to start on the big build.
    I have the Pololu servo controller and 2 sabertooth 25x2 drive units I also have 4 24volt motors. I have the mechanics at 80% built but thinking about the wiring of the system . The one thing that is bothering me is the feedback pots. How do I connect them into the circuit.I have looked around for the info but cannot find any thing related to the servo controller and the sabertooth systems.
  9. BartS

BartS Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 1 / -0
    I reccommend the leo bodnar 12 bit card for pot feedback, works great in x-sim heres the link http://www.leobodnar.com/products/BU0836A/.

And BTW I think you've helped me answer a few questions I had.

I am building a similar setup 2 x sabertooth 2x25, 4 x 24v 300watt motors and a 3dof sim awesome.
  10. BartS

BartS Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 1 / -0
    BTW which servo controller are you using from pololu exactly?
  11. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,398Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    sorry to burst ya bubbles guys but the servo controllers good for controlling servos and nothing else. they can not control the sabertooth at all.
    What ya wiil need is a mirco controller like the k8055 to feed the sabertooth and the pots will hook back to the k8055, which in turn is controlled by syn by xsim, ******* but with the BUG in xsim the k8055 will not work properly and the motion will feel laggy and slow, been there about 2 years ago.
    What i recommend for a simple setup with no too mant issues in setting up is the Pololu JRK12V12 cards they basicly a servo driver on steroids and are usb hookup, ya wire everything to them and treat them like servos in xsims uso. To me the simplest way to set xsim up fast.
    Or ya can attempt tronics cards but beware they take alot of stuffing around and reading between the line to get them to work, i have built to then threw them in the bin with frustration of trying to get it to work. Sorry tronic but not very user friendly, parts to hard to source outside australia, and too many errors in info for beginners to build but from what i see they work nicely once running, for me the arduino or jrk method is far easier to build for a begineer.But with arduino the code is the issue nearly there just need to implement pid control a bit better with adjustment built in so ya can change its values on the fly as in kubings unit (PIC Control).
    Again sorry to burst the bubble. :(
  12. kenneth

kenneth New Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Bart I have the six-channel Micro Maestro. I have orderd the leo bodnar 12 bit card. Do you have a wiring diagram of how you have it connected up . How do you have it configured in x sim to have the feedback on each axis.
  13. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,398Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    yea i would love to see it too. Cant see it working.
  14. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

No worries mate, I know how difficult is to source some simple parts around the world, parts that I had for granted in electronic shops in Greece. :cheers:
  15. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,398Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Sorry not having a go at your cards mate. Just found it very difficult to find the products plus the electronic stores here in Australia suc big time they kept sourcing the wrong parts ie mosfets. Been meaning to post a question in your h bridge run, confussion on which to use.
    Sorry again for venting my frustration before asking a couple of questions. For some people with the right knowledge yiur card are the ducks nuts, it all comes down to my lack of electronics theory, Im a fabrictor/draftsman, who tinkers with computers as a hobbie. One thing us aussies are known for and thats not giving up mate, i WILL try to build your cards again because its the only type of control system i havent concurred, built most other types for several people in my home town, I have a frex style with winches and a steel joyrider which is awaiting a set of your cards to complete it, 2 1/2 years in the making, i wont give up i will get there.

Sorry for highjacking the post.

The only way i can see this working is if you work out like one member had done before and use a servo, removing the motor and somehow wiring the motor outs to the sabertooth and using the internal pot in the servo to feed position to the servo controller. Been done before but when i tried 2 years ago i couldnot get it to work with the limited knowledge i had.
    Sorry guys this might be a way not sure how to complete it.
  16. BartS

BartS Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 1 / -0
    The bodnar card is really simple, it is plug and play with x-sim, there are 5 analogue inputs I think and all should be listed in the interface settings not sure wether you have to have a pot connected or not for it to appear tho. Once you have a feedback pot connected to an axis or motor the position will be returned here. Then look in your input setup.

I am still new to this and havn't actually got a simulator working yet so really its as much as I can help.

eaorobbie I though you aussies never give up? Desire to have a sim is enough drive for me not to give up also, we can all help each other. I dont have a servo controller board yet just a k8055 and sabertooths to play with, but like u say the k8055 doesnt really cut the mustard and I'm looking for other alternatives. I'm after going down the full PID control route and need alot of help myself. I tried the sabertooth to USO direct and failed miserably trying both Simplified serial and Packetized serial modes but I couldnt configure the x-sim datapacket with axisinformations in either mode so I think I need another microcontroller in between, maybe an arduino.
  17. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Eaorobbie is a legend and is persistent. I never would have got the jrk's going without him :D .
    As her mentioned the jrk 12v12 is a tough little sucker. I run mine at 22.5 amps max current with heat sinks and a fan on them and they run fine.
    I am interested in the bodnar card though as well as the tronic. Hope we can get some help on the tronic card anyway.
    Cheers all!
  18. BartS

BartS Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 1 / -0
    I would like to try the jrk 12v12 sounds like it has everything we all need with feedback and PID as well as all the other features however I think I need just a little more power. I gotta move 130-140kg 280-310Lbs 3dof vertically and its going to take more than 12 volts can offer. My 4 motors run 24v at +11amps and I want to maximize there potential, now if only pololu made a jrk 24v23 I will be flying.

Are there any bad things to say about the arduino other than the pid control cant be adjusted on the fly? Will it be responsive enough for me do you think?
  19. adgun

adgun Active Member

mechanic
    Balance:
    5,541Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 3 / -0
    Hi
    I dont know of it,s communicate with X-sim, but would a Basic micro Roboclaw 2x25 be
    great for you.
    Lynx motion makes a cheap 4 pin encoder for it.
    just my two cents.
    regards Ad
  20. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,398Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    ok mate just for starters take a look at aldoz 3 dof unit. runing jrk and 900 kg winches lots of power.
    The only thing i could find wrong with the arduinos is that writing the code for motor control is a little involved but to answer ya question by intalling two pots and writing the right code the pid can be modified on the fly just like Kubbings unit, Maybe what ya looking for pop into his post and ask some questions he seem to be very knowlegable with pic microcontrollers, and im sure pololu do a 24volt motor driver that you could hook to his system, worth a check.

thanks adgun worth a look mate, all new ideas welcome here.