1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Pneumatic Joyrider / Simul8r

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Sijmen, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Sijmen

Sijmen New Member

Balance:
    131Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Hi everyone,

My name is Sijmen (Simon) and live in the Netherlands. I built a flight and race seat using the Simul8r plans a couple of years ago (see profile picture). I stumbled across some pneumatic cilinders and valves and started to look into upgrading my seat.

I found the instructable by dnicky about the pneumatic Joyrider, through which I found out about xsimulator and SimTools. Great t learn about this tool. Amazing to see how large this community is. And what information is already available.

I am definitely upgrade my seat! :grin It should be multi purpose, like my current seat (racing, flying, helicopter). I have experience with electronics, but no experience with pneumatics. It would be fun to learn about it.

My first thoughts would be to start with a design based on the Joyrider. Perhaps try to integrate my Simul8r in it. Or design a complete new frame.

Open questions are:
    • Pneumatics or motors
    • 3D tv Screen on rig or PSVR
    • Joyrider design or modified Simul8r
    • 2 or 3 dof (tilt, roll and yaw)
    A lot to read on this forum. Tips are welcome :)

11902320_10153467696568346_4785891377397416258_n.jpg $_86.jpeg
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Sijmen

Sijmen New Member

Balance:
    131Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Started with building a proof of concept of yaw control for the Joyrider onusing my current raceseat.

Waiting on some pneumatic parts to test de rodless cilinder.

Thinking about trying out some drifting.

Attached Files:

3. Sijmen

Sijmen New Member

Balance:
    131Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Yes, its working pretty good :) Unbelievable how much power/speed the pneumatic cilinder has. The kids love it.

I am not yet allowed to add a link to a movie. Perhaps in a next post.

Features
    • A POT meter on the front joint to measure angle.
    • Connection to the POT meter inside the steering wheel.
    • A Arduino which calculates the error between the two and sends out a control signal for left or right movement
    • 5 ports / 3 positions pressure valve with normally closed. Which can push the chair left/right or keep position.

Problems I currently have:
    • Too much overshoot if I turn up the pressure/speed. This is partly due to the fact that I have pressure valves that can only turn on/off. I cannot control the speed. I now have large deadzone. I want to try and implement a PID. A proportional valve is way to expensive.
    • Returning to center goes as fast as going left and right. I am going to try and use a elastic band for centering and only use the cilinder for breaking-out. But I will need a valve which is normally open for that (ordered on Ali).
    IMG_20191008_095757.jpg IMG_20191008_095734.jpg IMG_20191008_095858.jpg IMG_20191008_095708.jpg
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Sijmen

Sijmen New Member

Balance:
    131Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
  5. adgun

adgun Active Member

mechanic
    Balance:
    5,541Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 3 / -0
    Hoi Simon
    Pneumatiek is oud en wordt niet veel meer gebruikt.
    Het heeft alles te maken met positie, dat is eigenlijk niet te krijgen.
    Het komt omdat je lucht kunt comprimeren.
    Daarom is het zwaar hydraulisch en lichter elektrisch tegenwoordig
    groeten Ad
  6. Sijmen

Sijmen New Member

Balance:
    131Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Sijmen

Sijmen New Member

Balance:
    131Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Dat had ik ook al begrepen. Toch leek het mij interessant om er eens mee te experimenten. Daar het relatief goedkoop is (in China).

Voor precieze posities is het lastig, maar voor G-krachten werkt het nu wel redelijk goed.
  8. adgun

adgun Active Member

mechanic
    Balance:
    5,541Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 3 / -0
    I go on in bad english
    There is nothing wrong with experementing the first sim for home use wash a Rock & ride simulator
    It worked on air and got 5/6 posistions.
    Youre work is great for a Gseat
    Go on go on
    ad
  9. hannibal

hannibal Active Member

Balance:
    4,489Coins
    Ratings:
    +297 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    i like the frame! share videos! looking great
  10. Sijmen

Sijmen New Member

Balance:
    131Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
  11. Sijmen

Sijmen New Member

Balance:
    131Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
  12. Sijmen

Sijmen New Member

Balance:
    131Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Great update! I have Simtools working in NFS Most Wanted for one DOF, bought a nice Samsung Curved display and remodeled rig to support the display.

I am using a Arduino's Uno and NodeMCU. The Uno to send the SimTools data to and control the actuators, and the NodeMCU to monitor the Uno. The data sent to the Uno by serial is forwarded using a SoftwareSerial to the NodeMCU. The NodeMCU sents it back to the serial of the PC so I can view it on the Serial monitor/plotter (see video bottomleft).

I am now using Sway data on a very easy control scheme.

if Sway > 156 -> push chair left,
    Else if Sway <100 -> push chair right
    Else -> release valve and elastic band pulls the chair to center

Check out the video's:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/QtLT3kuvRC7UtinK9
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/urpwno5p4FSqhgLw6

This is amazing to play with. This was supposed to be a Proof-of-concept for the JoyRider. But this is already great!

IMG_20191110_212317.jpg IMG_20191110_212328.jpg IMG_20191110_212338.jpg
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Sijmen

Sijmen New Member

Balance:
    131Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    It has been a while. Some great updates.

-new race seat with belts
    - frame to hold and rotate the seat.
    -aluminium reinforcement in pvc pipes
    - supports 3 DOF (pitch, roll and yaw)
    - 5.1 surround
    - screen on seatrig
    - additional screen for Simtools

Next step: drives.

I am still having second thoughts whether I should give up pneumatics. I know I have to go for electric drives for the best experience, but it is a bigger investment.

Video's
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/6G1L1FAJ9mFFe8UPA
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/HLPaBWK36UKBjrGr5

Images

IMG_20200125_120024.jpg IMG_20200125_120036.jpg IMG_20200125_120116.jpg IMG_20200125_120231.jpg
    • Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  14. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,890Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,083 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    great work!
    IMO pneumatic is not good: noisy, not proportionnal...
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Sijmen

Sijmen New Member

Balance:
    131Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    I know. But I have some pneumatics lying around now, so it is a smaller investment for now.
    After your reply, I started looking (again) for some cheap proportional valves. I found one now. So I will first try this out with pneumatics.
    • Creative Creative x 1
  16. Sijmen

Sijmen New Member

Balance:
    131Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    I had to find a better cilinder for roll and after that had to wait for some additional connectors.
    Meanwhile I had to make Simtools working again on my new computer. And make my Arduino code ready for the three DOF over serial.

I now have it working with the Joystick plugin controlling the valves through an Arduino. So,
    Steering left > roll left,
    gas > pitch up,
    Brake > pitch down

Next steps:
    - Add YAW motion
    - Connect the pots and make a feedback loop for position control.
    - Make it work with Hawx, NFS most wanted and BMS.
    - make Servo/speed control valves

Check out the video
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  17. Sijmen

Sijmen New Member

Balance:
    131Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Through the first Corona wave I haven't spend much time on my sim. I had my childeren at home and had to teach them. So almost no time for personal pleasure. So the project has been lying still.

Fortunately, the kids are now in school again. So I have been working on my sim again the last few weeks.

I now have
    • 3DOF kind of working, pitch, roll and yaw. But the Yaw rotates around the front end. So it can also be used as sway of tractionloss.
    • managed to make the pneumatics two speed using an additional valve with a lower flowspeed. It uses the lower speed when the positiondelta is below a certain threshold. This lowers overshoot and is good for positioncontrol. It uses highspeed for large delta's e.g. accelerations, G-effects.
    • Made transistor board with leds to control the valves (connected to the Arduino Mega)
    • trying to find the best games and simtools settings. It now works pretty good with NFS Most wanted 2005, Flight Simulator, WarThunder, DCS and on the joystick plugin (HAWX).

Some additional features I added to the experience are:
    • Woojer Strap, a transducer for on your chest. It also works great with shooters.
    • 3D printed head tracking clip with PS3 camera
    • Addtional screen to display Simtools
    I am still having doubts whether I should migrate to DC motors, now I have this working. I believe it will make the experience better, but als means a lot of new investments (time and money).

Next steps:
    • Try-out more games and simtools settings
    • Add Ir remote control to Arduino to switch modes in the controller (e.g. manual control of the sim by remote control)
    • Add an emergency button to shut-off the controller. I already have an emergency button to shut-down the pressure system
    • Enjoy the sim while gaming :))
    IMG_20201002_124857.jpg

IMG_20201002_144058.jpg

Video's
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/UwJ4t2S3PTw4VWWw8
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/FPUpECmKfcdfNe9w5
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/1mzMewWWZhxDsYaY6
    • Like Like x 1