1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Pitch racing tuning - downhill feels wrong

Discussion in 'Commercial Simulators and Peripherie' started by PetroVitallini, Nov 9, 2018.

1. PetroVitallini

PetroVitallini Member

Balance:
    268Coins
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Hello everyone!

I have gotten my new Prosimu t5 motion (four actuators + one actuator for traction loss) up and running. I've been following guides and have gotten decent settings. I have one problem with pitch though. When running nordschleife and other tracks with big elevation changes I can't seem to get pitch set up for going downhill correctly. Uphill is ok because being tilted backwards while accelerating blends well. Going downhill while accelerating feels weird because I expect a push in the back and the tilt downwards to canceled out by the acceleration.

My axis assignement is as follows: sway 20, surge 20, pitch 40 (now this is set this high because its cool to feel the elevation changes), roll is 20 and finally heave is 20 (thinking of cancelling this completely as I believe it "clouds" the complete profile.

As far as I can see I have two options. One is adjusting with the washout filter and the other is reducing dof % on forward pitch axis. I do like the initial feeling of pitching forward when the actuator goes far and it feels ok when I'm at constant speed.

I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to best adjust simtools to get cancel out pitch while accelerating and still feel pitch downwards while at constant speed. Will a higher surge % perhaps mitigate the pitch?

regards,

Petter
  2. prodigy

prodigy Burning revs

Balance:
    6,698Coins
    Ratings:
    +399 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, AC motor, SCN5, JRK
    What are your Tuning Center settings?
    Have you tried driving only with Pitch (no other forces) to see if everything works OK with pitch force itself?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. PetroVitallini

PetroVitallini Member

Balance:
    268Coins
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Thank you for your answer! I think I was a bit preemptive with my post. I need to work with Simtools a bit more. Running on type of dof at a time is really helpful and that is good advice to isolate.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. PetroVitallini

PetroVitallini Member

Balance:
    268Coins
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Ok, I've been buisy tuning and I have some questions that I hope I will get some answers to. First of all, if anyone else with a new motion sim and/or has never tried simtools before I have the following rules for you:

Rule 1. I WILL tune one axis at a time.
    Rule 2. See rule number 1.

Ok, so first of all, there are a few things I still don't grasp. I will ask stupid questions.

1. Actuator speed: From my interface settings I can change actuator speed and acceleration, as it is called an linear actuator I assume it is not a range, but a set value. Correct?

2. If so does this mean that the actuator motors spin at the same constant speed? I don't understand how having smaller tuning center speeds up the sim while having higher slows it down if so. In my head it should only lead to shorter or longer movement. Not speed.

3. If I have an axis at 30% and no change in game manager profile vs 30% at -50 and find out I like 30% at -50 better. Would it not be better to set axis at 15% and use the full range of telemetry?

4. I have a hard time relating to the numbers stated in the tuning center. Would it be possible to have a calculator that would change this to movement in units metric or other dynamicly? Lets say you could put in your actuator specs (total movement range, lets say 10 cms) and then get a tab where you get an output of how tuning center and axis % shortens og lengthens physical movment as you change settings? I guess you could do this on your own for your own actuator on a spread sheat and get a set of values, but wouldn't it be a good quality of life addition?

5. I find that the profile editor in game manager does not have enough range. I find my self wanting it to go to 100 or further in some cases. As it is not I assume my tc-settings is lacking, but I can't figure out how to bridge some combinations like mazda miata at Monza vs porsche 911 rsr at the ring. Any pointers?

Ok, so over to my current settings in iracing:
    tuning center.jpg axis2.jpg axis1.jpg interface.jpg

Axis %

1. I use vr and have found that a to high roll and sway % is very disorienting as it screws up the tracking of the headset to much. I also read that roll and sway competes with each other. I do like as much roll I can have without it messing up tracking, but at the same time sway works good as a beefed up tactile unit and I feel it gives a feeling of speed. From that I have tried to maximize axis % for the axis affected by degrees and keep the g-forces shorter. What DOF are you guys prioritizing with large axis %values and what DOF do you prioritize with small axis %?

I realise people have different sims, but for a 4 actuator at corner frame mover it could be interesting to see the relationship between DOFs affecting g-forces and the degrees.

2. I want to simulate a stiffer sprung car and still have good range from pitch and roll. How would such a setting look. What would the opposite look like?

Ok, I think that is it for now. Any input would be appreciated.

Regards,

Petter
  5. PetroVitallini

PetroVitallini Member

Balance:
    268Coins
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Ok this didn’t get much traction. I’m going to bump this and call upon @yobuddy and @noorbeast if you guys would be able to broaden my understanding I would appreciate it.

I’ve read in another post that sway, surge and heave is the most important DOFs for a racing sim so I’m going to work on getting a good profile using those.

Lastly during tuning of each individual dof I experienced each dof more defined and abrupt in their movements on their own. When I put all DOFs active it softened the motion a bit. I guess this is because when pitch and roll movements already are in motion this decrease the available speed difference. I’m thinking the difference between a jolt from 0 to 200 mm feels harsher than for example an actuator moving slowly upwards with pitch telemetry from 0 to 50mm with a jolt thrown in doing the last 150mm. Kind of like when you saturate a transducer with to many effect?

Petter