1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question Permanent magnet motor vs brushed dc motor

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by MorriganSecond, Nov 18, 2018.

1. MorriganSecond

MorriganSecond New Member

Balance:
    35Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    Hey guys,

I would like to build the same system BS21 has but with a different motor.
    (Youtube: www.youtube.com/BSSimulator)

Here is his quick overview video of his built:

I have read that permanent magnet motors create less heat and will wear out less quickly. Thus i wanted to use a permanent magnet motor instead of a brushed motor.

Either a 350w or 500w

350w:
    DC 24V 350W 2700RPM Permanent Magnet Electric Motor Generator for Wind Turbine
    https://banggood.app.link/W16nBKRwWR

500w:
    500W 24V DC Electric Brush ZY1020 Motor For Scooter Ebike Go Kart DIY Project
    https://banggood.app.link/x4DisvNxWR

Next to that i wanted to underdrive the motor. As these bigger motor can handle more heat to prevent burning it.

But i am unsure if this is possible.

I could use some advice!
    Thank you very much for reading :)
  2. Gadget999

Gadget999 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    11,610Coins
    Ratings:
    +458 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Most motors use permanent magnets, i think you may be referring to brushed and brushless motors

I dont think brushed motors are a problem for a DD wheel because it does not do many revolutions

I would use the 500w motor you showed me as direct drive
  3. MorriganSecond

MorriganSecond New Member

Balance:
    35Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    I am unsure how much torque that motor would provide and if the RPM is a problem. Do you have any recommendations on a good motor for DD and belt driven wheels?

But i could do that with an encoder with and a belt to the DD shaft.
  4. Gadget999

Gadget999 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    11,610Coins
    Ratings:
    +458 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
  5. Albert Johnnson

Albert Johnnson Albert Johnnson

Automotive engineers
    Balance:
    31Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    I think a Brushless DC motor is the best option to use. It generates more torque and has a faster speed rational speed.