1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Part names and process? Ball joint/rod end?

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by gSeat, Nov 7, 2017.

1. gSeat

gSeat Member

Balance:
    910Coins
    Ratings:
    +48 / 1 / -0
    Hello,
    [​IMG]
    It appears these are called ball joints or rod ends, and from searching they are 2 different things.
    1) Is there a preference as to which to use and why?
    2)Any recommendations that are commonly used here for the 12v motors?

3)What is used for the shafts that connect these pieces to the rods that think the motors and chair?
    4) Is electrical EMT conduit good enough, or does the hollow nature allow for too much flex?
    5) I've gone through 8 build threads and the FAQ, and have come up short on the details of linking motors / chair when planning seat shakers.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Zed

Zed VR Simming w/Reverb Gold Contributor

Balance:
    5,828Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,042 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    I’ve seen them called rose joints or heim joints. McMaster-Carr calls them "ball joint rod ends". Apparently the convention is to call them heim joints in the US and rose joints in the UK.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#rod-ends/=1a57ugy

I used 3/8-24 and all-thread to connect using jam nuts on my 2 dof and they seem fine so far but the C-C distance is only about 8" or thereabouts.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  3. gSeat

gSeat Member

Balance:
    910Coins
    Ratings:
    +48 / 1 / -0
    Thanks, did you use solid metal rod/tubing or hollow?
  4. Zed

Balance:
    5,828Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,042 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    @gSeat - it’s solid all thread rod. At 3/8-24, it’s very sturdy over this distance.

6270C46A-9E6D-45A9-86D5-356089394BEE.jpeg
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Edaurdo

Edaurdo Member

Balance:
    190Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hello, your post is very interesting! I am about to build my first 2dof. I wonder what is the difference between left rod end and right rod end. Could you help me?
  6. Zed

Balance:
    5,828Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,042 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Eduardo - you should only post a question once. Already replied in another thread.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Edaurdo

Edaurdo Member

Balance:
    190Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Sorry and thank you! Your answer was very useful. Now I understand the difference. ;)
    • Like Like x 1