1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Parker linear actuators

Discussion in 'Motor actuators and drivers' started by tronicgr, Nov 13, 2007.

1. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Take a look on these actuators...

http://www.parker.com/ead/cm2.asp?cmid=10493

http://www.parker.com/ead/cm2.asp?cmid=10534

They have simular characteristics with SCN5 actuators.

Their speed is 400 mm/sec and max thrust 100N !!

Allessandro that find them, sended me a comparison spreadsheet:

[​IMG]SNC5_Vs_Parker.zip (128.18 KB)

Now if their price is low enouph, this is a nice solution.

Thanos
  2. Alle

Alle Member

Balance:
    283Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I'm trying to find out the price of these actuators and a suitable electric motor to be used with them.
    They have a large number of solutions for electric cylinders.

It seems that Parker offers only VAC motors (starting from +220 VAC)...or at least I have not found any 12 /24 VDC motors on their website.

I will let you know the price as soon as I know.

Regards,
    Alessandro.
  3. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    I've sent an email with a price request to parker in swiss some time ago. And got a reply.

These actuators cost the 10fold of the SCN5.

But perhaps they sell their actuator without controller for less?

ego
  4. EvanF

EvanF Member

Multimedia Producer
    Balance:
    423Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I don't get it, do you think 100N is enough?

I can easily achieve 400mm/sec with 1:1 with my linear actuator now. I dismissed it because it slowed down when I applied my body weight to it. I would guess I applied 20kg of resistance. We are now attempting to gear the drive down to 3:1 ratio with bicycle sprockets and chain.

But it would be nice just to direct drive and achieve 400mm/sec using 24V marine bilge pump motors. I've never built a frex, would 100N be enough to move your weight around, 2 DOF on the pivot? 100N not enough for my 3 point system.

I will post the linear actuator when it is completed.

EvanF
  5. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    The Frex just pulls/pushes you over the pivot.

100N is definatly not enough for your torture seat, as the actuators have to lift you up. Even with the spring support underneath.

Thats the great difference.
  6. EvanF

EvanF Member

Multimedia Producer
    Balance:
    423Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hi ego,

I would like to make a frex style chair to compare the 2dof and 3dof systems with Thanos' solution.

With your experience with the frex, what do you think is a good target Newton force to aim for.

I want to minimize the gear ratio so I can be as efficient as possible attaining max linear speed with optimum force.

My gut feeling is 100N is light but if that is all that is required then I can achieve a lot of linear travel in 1 sec.

evanF
  7. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Have a look at the scn5 specs. They have 10kgf at near zero Speed. And with 400mm/s they have near zero force.

I think everything above 100N should be OK for a Frex-style sim.
  8. EvanF

EvanF Member

Multimedia Producer
    Balance:
    423Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Okay, I'll keep that in mind.

I am seeing my engineering friend tomorrow to discuss how much/little force to go for. At present the motors I have chosen to use are 24V 4000RPM 100W. The pitch of the actuator is 12:1

I'm thinking a 2:1 reduction gear between the motor and the threaded rod as a starting point and see if this will shift a chair on a pivot.
  9. Alle

Alle Member

Balance:
    283Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Of course in my comparison spreadsheet, my idea was to reach 100N at 400mm/sec. This value is much more than what needed for a Frex like solution.

A frex solution reaches 10N at 400mm/sec.
    With 100N at 400mm/sec I'm sure to feel bumbs and curbs and have enought power to move the seat also for very fast movements.

Regards,

Alle
  10. EvanF

EvanF Member

Multimedia Producer
    Balance:
    423Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Alle,

I am mystified why Frex use the word 'reaches'

It implies low power and inertia. 10N is not a great force and with PWM speed control, torque is already there at low speeds.

It also implies the Frex design is very efficient.

Do you know where I can find good blueprints of a frex design?

EvanF
  11. Alle

Alle Member

Balance:
    283Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    EvanF,

sorry for my english.
    What I meen is that SCN5 produces a force af 10N at 400mm/sec.
    I'm agree with you that Frex design is very efficent. At 200-250 mm/sec this electric actuator produces a force of about 20N, and with this low force is able to move efficently the seat.

Regarding the blueprints of a Frex design, I'm sorry but I do not know where you can find them.
    I'm working on a Frex like solution right now. At the end of the project I will post everything (frame drawings, part list...ecc).

Regards,
    Alle