1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question Paralleling BTS7960 drivers problem

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by SpeedBoy, Feb 3, 2023.

1. SpeedBoy

SpeedBoy New Member

Balance:
    42Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino
    Hey Guys, i am new to posting here so bear with me please
    I have an arduino leonardo EMC pro firmware based steering wheel with MY1016 250w motor.
    I was using single bts7960 driver with but it gets burnt so i parallel 2 of them they work nice with barely no heat but the octal buffer chip 74HC244D gets fried, i replace and it works again.
    I don't know what keeps frying it.
    If you know a solution it will be so helpful for me thanks in advance.
  2. Gadget999

Gadget999 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    11,610Coins
    Ratings:
    +458 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    You may be able to solder 2x the mosfets on the board on top of each other !

Also try fitting 2x heat sinks
  3. SpeedBoy

SpeedBoy New Member

Balance:
    42Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino
    I have already put a heat sink on top of the chips.
    You mean i can install two bts7960b chips on top on the original ones and use a single driver instead of paralleling 2 whole drivers?
    Won't that make the resistance of the chips half the original value and may affect the buffer chip or not?
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
  4. wingert

wingert Active Member

Balance:
    642Coins
    Ratings:
    +89 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    The 74HC244D is a CMOS chip with an I_out of +/- 35 mA. If the load of 2 driver exceeds this Limit it will burn up. Drive a simple Power-FET with heat sink, there plenty on market.
  5. SpeedBoy

SpeedBoy New Member

Balance:
    42Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino
    Do
    Do you have any guide on that with the existing driving modes in EMC software please?
    How does the current increase every driver board has its own buffer chip?
  6. Gadget999

Gadget999 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    11,610Coins
    Ratings:
    +458 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Its worth trying if you are prepared to fry one to find out !