1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Pairing up 2 wipier motors to double the torque

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Bruceaust, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Bruceaust

Bruceaust Member

CNC Routing
    Balance:
    63Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    (I have reposted this from another thread as the topic is more suited to this sub forum. Thanks Dave for your previous help )

It probably has been tried before?

With a little thought using a couple of extra pulleys, it is possible to use 2 motors to drive 1 axis.
    This would nearly double the torque available - so maybe increase the size of the drive pulleys which would increase the speed / acceleration of the system.

Also as a refinement of this idea, is it possible to drive the 2 motors from separate channels of the DIY controller in a master slave arrangement? This could enable feedback correction for variations between the performance of the 2 matched motors I have sussed a way of using a pulley that automatically compensates for the different motor speed. It converts the speed difference into a rotation but still allows the 2 motors to pull in a linear fashion.
    Here is a drawing to share my idea.
    Double wiper motor configuration.jpg
    It seems that the only critisism of the the wiper systems (single motor) is their inability to accelerate at a fast rate. Maybe this might be a possible improvement?
    Done a quick sketch of what I was talking about. The centre pulley is attached to the frame to be moved. You can see that if one motor is slightly faster, the centre pulley rotates but is still displaced by the linear motion of the 2 motor belts. If the speed of the motors are the same, the pulley will not rotate and you will get maximum speed of linear motion.
    I think this will work???

I am going to build a joy rider derivative. I will use thin walled RHS with 6mm steel rod bracing structure. Should be strong and relatively light. I will also make the frame pivots adjustable to get the balance right. I should have about 400mm of adjustment!
    One question, Is a car bucket seat OK? (weightwise) or should I go with a commercial plastic racing seat?

Bruce