1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Overhead Pivot 3dof Winch Motors

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by SpeedFreak, Jul 1, 2012.

1. SpeedFreak

SpeedFreak New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello, I am new to the board and this is my first post of hopefully many. I have an idea for a 3dof overhead pivot point simulator that I am starting and could use some input on the electronic side of the sim. my idea of an overhead pivot point was inspired by crespo80 http://www.x-simulator.de/forum/sus...come-low-pivot-wrong-head-movement-t3841.html and tahustvest's project http://www.x-simulator.de/forum/my-2dof-diy-sim-t3646.html. However rather that tahustvest's project using a virtual overhead pivot point this would be an actual overhead pivot point. The advantages of the overhead pivot point are to get the head moving in the correct position from the first movement of the sim rather than moving opposite of how a real car would force you to move.
    Here is a quick drawing of my idea:
    overhead pivot1.gif
    I would build a cage separate from the frame that would hang from a spring mounted above the frame with a rod connecting the frame to the cage simialar to a shock coil spring to take the load off the motors. The motors would be mounted on the frame with a 3dof system connected to the cage. I want to build a full cage to give the feeling of being in a cockpit. I do not think i should have much of a problem with the fabrication but could use some help with electronics.
    here are the motors I am considering:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/2000-l...-with-automatic-load-holding-brake-68146.html
    They are a 1 hp winch with a 153:1 gearbox. At 500lbs they pull 30a so i am thinking the JRK's should have no problem powering them. Do you think this gearing will move the sim fast enough?
  2. value1

value1 Nerd SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Balance:
    14,495Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,319 / 11 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, Joyrider
    Hi SpeedFreak and welcome to this exciting forum!

bsft runs the jrks with at 28-32 amps continuous. So the jrks are serving your motors well.
    RE gearing will move the sim fast enough: This is really a question of how you adapt the motors to your sim and it shall be no issue at all. The datasheet says 1st layer line speed is 13.3 fpm, drum diameter: 1.25 so the shaft turns 2x per sec (unloaded). There are quite a few people here that are using winch motors to drive their sims (including me). For a 3DoF where you want to move the full weight of the sim 30 amps is really a starting point (see aldoz' sim) with not a lot of buffer. A well balanced (key!) 2DoF doesn't need a lot of power and 30 amps is very strong.
    BTW: With tahustvedt's design the head is moving in the right directions like drawn by crespo80 – independent if it's a virtual pivot point or not.
  3. SpeedFreak

SpeedFreak New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  4. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That would work, but the motor may only spin about 20-25 rpm depending on the weight they have to lift.