1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Noobie here just introducing myself trying not to reinvent wheel!

Discussion in 'New users start here - FAQ' started by Louis Cannell, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Louis Cannell

Louis Cannell Nut Loose behind the Wheel

IT Consultant,
    Balance:
    263Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hi name is Louis I am 58 semi retired computer analyst programmer previously Builder, Mechanic & was a single dad of 5, finally have some time for me.

I have a fairly comprehensive well stocked electrical work shop, a second workshop with 7/12 mini lathe, converted Seig X1 mini mill & CNC router that I have designed & built both happy milling aluminium or mild steel. Also available 3d Printers & 2.5w Laser engraver I have designed & constructedn will cut cloth & leather etc.

I can see the draw of motion smulation but not interested in a fairground ride but being logical I am looking at Rear Traction Loss simulation as a usefull tool to improve my sim driving abilities.

My plan initially is to use a vailable components to experiment I have several powerful Nema 23/34 motors, a few 1605 Ballscrews, Pulleys, Belts, SBR20 Linear guides etc.

I am a Lazy person which I find to be a good thing I generally find the easy way to accomplish most tasks so my build will be as simple as possible, also I hate to waste time so if anyone has already accomplished similar has any warnings of pitfalls I can avois I am happy to listen.

I will post ongoing project as soon as I get thoughts in order & begin.
  2. Louis Cannell

Louis Cannell Nut Loose behind the Wheel

IT Consultant,
    Balance:
    263Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    My basic thoughts as simple as this design to begin and test. I have a playseat connected to a base board risen on two timber boxes I added to save old bones from struggling getting down after abdominal surgery.

My equipment for sim racing:

Alacantra Playseat

Logitech G27 with shifter & pedals good & reliable but having tested the Thrustmaster PC Pro I am going to look at maybe upcycling

3x 24" curved Monitors Triple screen, Oculus Rift CV1, i7700 PC 16gb with GTX 1060 6gb

Just acquired Thrustmaster TS_PC Racer UK Version currently (BT Shop £434) with T3PA Pro Pedals (Ebay £95) was looking at Fanatec CSL Elite but had chance to try both but preferred this.

My current thinking:

Two boards three castors at back weight bearing.

Front one pivot point I have large steel monitor adjuster and suitable bearings.

Ballscrew nut connected and Pivotted below seat Nema 23 or 34 connected to ballscrew with universal joint movement I am seeking will involve only very small angles!

I was surised when trying somethng similar just how must you can feel the small movements in seat of your pants so to speak and how it did allow correction before car went completely loose!
    T LOSS v2.jpg

Any thoughts welcomed