1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question Non linear motion in Simtools??

Discussion in 'SimTools Pro & Entertainment Version' started by sberns, Mar 4, 2020.

1. sberns

sberns Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    432Coins
    Ratings:
    +89 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5, Arduino
    Is it possible to emulate non-linear motion using simtools (like a gamma modifier)?

Due to the design of my GSeat, movement of the panels for the first 25% of total travel is reduced relative to the middle 50% of travel. So I would like a way to “amplify” the motion for the first 25% of travel only and then make it more linear for the remainder.

Is this possible? Thanks.
  2. KydDynoMyte

KydDynoMyte Fool's Gold Contributor

Balance:
    92Coins
    Ratings:
    +28 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Are you already using the Rotational Output Type?

The only thing similar to a gamma modifier I can think might work a little is using anti-rollover while artificially doubling the game data in tuning center so you are only using half of the anti-rollover feature over the whole physical travel.
  3. sberns

Balance:
    432Coins
    Ratings:
    +89 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5, Arduino
    I’m using linear not rotational motion as motion is via a linear actuator.

can you explain how the anti-rollover effect works? I’m not familiar with that as I only use it for sim racing. :) thanks.
  4. KydDynoMyte

KydDynoMyte Fool's Gold Contributor

Balance:
    92Coins
    Ratings:
    +28 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Sounds like you have that linear actuator rotating a panel. I'd try rotational output type first.

I'd swear I read somewhere it slows down before reaching the point it reverses so you don't get jerked the other direction. If you double the game data in tuning center, the max game data should stop right before it reverses direction.

Or I might be completely wrong. Good luck.
  5. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    47,902Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,027 / 16 / -0
    Hi @sberns,
    If you using an Arduino for the controller, I would look to do this there.
    If not, you could try setting the output type to rotational, as it will make it move faster from zero, and slower when it gets to the ends of the actuator.
    take care,
    yobuddy
  6. sberns

Balance:
    432Coins
    Ratings:
    +89 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5, Arduino
    My GSeat is connected to @Thanos ’s controller. I tried the rotational option but unfortunately I didn’t notice any change. Wish there was a option similar to gamma correction.
  7. Thanos

Thanos Building the Future one AC Servo at a time... or 6

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,692Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform, 4DOF, 6DOF
    You could convert the rotation motion to linear using something like brake wire that in used on brakes on motorcycles perhaps...
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2020