1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

newby looks for plc and motioncontrollers

Discussion in 'Motor actuators and drivers' started by kermit, Feb 12, 2010.

1. kermit

kermit Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    HI ,
    I`m Henk from the Netherlands and building a Motionplatform for a Cessna 172,
    I have bought a real 172M Cessna Fuselage and fitted it with Simkits instruments and real knobs /switches and so on.
    I`m now nearly finished building a platform what looks like a big rectangular made out of steeltube 50x50x5 mm and connected by a crosscoupling to a
    T- shaped frame 40x40x5mm steeltube for mounting the cessna to the platform.
    Because of its weight about 550lbs,
    I`m looking for a plc and motorcontroller with the following wishes
    2/3 dof movement
    suitable for 220-250 volt 1kw Hz50 aproxx 8 amp motors.
    I can purchase motors and gears from work ,
    I have looked on nummerous sites but all I can find are motioncontrollers for 12-24 volt motors
    Please you can comment in Dutch/English or German but will answer in dutch or English because I can read/understand German but can`t write it
    greetz Kermit
  2. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
  3. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    No, not at all

@Henk
    As we dont have a DIY solution for AC motors yet, you have to find a commercial phase inverter for each motor you want to use, which accepts either analog voltages, PWM signals, or serial data for dynamic and bi-directional speed and control.
  4. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
  5. adgun

adgun Active Member

mechanic
    Balance:
    5,541Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 3 / -0
  6. kermit

kermit Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hoi Ad, kun je een lijstje maken ,, met de benodigdheden om een werkend platform te krijgen?
    Hi Ad,
    Please can you make a parts list of the things, I need for making a working platfrom(just for the international viewers :D )
    groet Henk
  7. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
  8. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Those motor controllers look decent ego.
    No, not at all, can you expand on this? I found this AC motor controller kit in a quick google search, not too many specs but it seems to be alright for the price.

Can you program the K8061 to work with the encoders? It seems like using pots or hall sensors with the analog inputs is very easy.
  9. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    The biggest flaw is definitely, that it does not allow to reverse direction.
    Reversing direction requires frequency inverters, not speed controllers for vacuum cleaners :)
  10. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    However, I am not an expert on those frequency inverters.
    I dont know if there are any quality differences comparing to other frequency inverters regarding reverse current protection.

@Kermit
    You should check this issue with someone that uses a similar setup (Riton, scottlolo89) or with knowledge about the subject before ordering inverters.
    I guess the supplier of those inverters will be able to tell you as well, if they are suitable for the simulator you are going to build.
  11. adgun

adgun Active Member

mechanic
    Balance:
    5,541Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 3 / -0
    Hi Henk
    Egoexpress is wright, it´s best to call indumex ,they give good advice.
    I think you need a smartdrive .
    regards Ad
  12. kermit

kermit Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi, Thanks for the reply,
    I already mailed scottlolo89 for more info, but no reply yet.
    I will read all the info, hope to sort things out.
    Its the weight I`m struggling with , because off the fuselage itself I need bigger motors therefore specilized system.
    I will build a 24 volt system until I have enough info to go a step further
    regards
  13. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Have you thought about using DC motors, 48V or more?
  14. kermit

kermit Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Yes I have ,
    but for the weight aproxx 3-350 kg or 800 lbs and unbalanced loads,
    I opt for std 220 volt 1 ph 1 kw motors and gearboxes .
    I can buy them from my work but I struggling for finding the right plc-card and motorcontrollers/frequency inverters.
    If needed I could swap motors but don`t want to make to much mistakes, they are very costly
    greetz
  15. jakob

jakob New Member

Balance:
    313Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
  16. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    A triac is only a triac. It's like a transistor, won't control anything, it needs to be controlled to deliver power.

kermit, you have a huge project that requires special measures. Try to look for a phase inverter / AC motor controller that will take TTL input, preferably pwm or something simple. If you have that, I will help you out with the microcontroller part of it. I will be asking my professors in school about what you'll need and what is the best option.
  17. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    @Frakk
    As DC motors with enough torque to move a fuselage including driver draw too much amps, he absolutely right to use AC motors.

@Jakob
    Kermit asked explicitly for a ready built up solution. Besides that, AC powered circuits are dangerous. I would not recommend a layman in electronics to tinker arround with AC circuits.
    Besides that, your TRIAC solution, like the speed controller Frakk suggested before, is just able to turn the motor in one direction.

@Frakk and Jakob
    The least Kermit needs right know is more confusion. I cannot see where you both have the experience with XSim or simulators, that would would put you in the position to make such suggestions to newbies.
    We appreciate any hints to improve our DIY solutions. But please do not confuse newbies.
  18. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    You should give Indumex a call, and ask if the TECO phase invertes I recommended, from the website Adgun linked, are sufficient for the use in applications, where reverse currents are an issue (due to fast motor direction changes with high payload).
    The Velleman K8061 motion controller card I suggested works with XSim and it is tested. Riton and Scottlolo89 are using the smaller version K8055, as they are just using 2 motors.

Here is the english manual of the TECO E2 series inverter:
    http://www.teco.com.tw/sa/file/teco_pro ... %29V10.pdf

According to the english manual (page 46,47), the inverter has overload-shutdown protection including error code display.
    At least overload during motor reversing will not damage the inverter nor the motor.
    As well the braking time before motor direction reverse is adjustable, if needed.
  19. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    ego, I do not intend to confuse anyone, I am just trying to exploit solutions that may work or may not.
    I am sorry if I confused you kermit.

I don't know if cost is an issue or not, but PLC's are not the cheapest. I work with them in school every week, and I work with electronics every day. As I said, I will ask around those who worked with a wide range of PLC's and other industrial equipment.
  20. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    I guess the term PLC was Kermit' way to say, that he does not want to solder anything (which I wouldnt recommend anyway, when dealing with AC circuits).
    However, fortunatly PLC is not needed at all. It would make it just more complex, as proper programcode would have to be written, and would add unneccessary costs.
    That's why I proposed him to use the Velleman K8061 as motion controller. It is cheap, prebuilt, suppported by XSim and ready to connect to an inverter.

When using AC motors, yet there is no other (safe) way than to use comercial frequency/phase inverters.