1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Newbie from USA wants to play!

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by circletrack15, Dec 22, 2008.

1. circletrack15

circletrack15 New Member

Welder, Fabricator, Sim Racer
    Balance:
    394Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    :sos: Hello Everyone!

My name is Leonard and live in California USA. I am 45 years old and have been in and out of racing for a long time.I have raced short track dirt ovals and a 1/2 mile asphalt oval track. I am an oval guy. Yep,you heard right so before I here any wise cracks!! LOL!! you must know that I only sim race now mainly Nascar 2003 but do also race GTR2 as well as rfactor.I found this site by accident from youtube looking at the sim stuff. I have wanted to have a moving simulator for a very long time but figured they were way to much money for me to ever have one.
    Then I find you guys!!I must say that I have a ton of respect for what you do and for sharing so much information to guys like me who would never be able to build these sims like you without help like this!!When I saw that someone from x-sim is currently working on the layout telemetry for Nascar 2003 Iam ready to play!!! (egoexpress) you are the man!! I have a sim buildt almost identical to what you have but is made out of mild still.
    The only movement I have is from a buttkicker gammer and my Logitech G25. I race with an HP LCD projecter with a 120x64 screen.This reach for help is really directed to you. I want to build just what you have!! The only difference is I will be using the cheaper firgelliauto actuators because I cant get scn5,s for a while. I know you said that they dont move as much and are not as fast.
    Heres the thing... Being that Iam a oval track racer,in my experience my body did NOT! move near as much as it would if I raced Formula 1 or something comparible.For us oval racers on high banked tracks the G,s actually will pull you down and to the left because of the banking and not roll you as much. So if they are a little slower thats fine for me.
    Could you PLEASE give me a list of what I need to build what you have?? I see that I need the Tronicgr DIY motion controller interface 1.5 as well as the h-bridge? Do these come pre made as well? I will be buying some alluminum extrustions stuff after Christmas. But if you could please give me a list I can start buying and will update eveyone as I go. I cant wait to get started.

Thanks for being here and I wish all of you guys a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!
    Thanks and God Bless!!
    Leonard (circletrack15)
  2. Mr Burns

Mr Burns New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am testing the nascar 2003 plugin right now for the main developer and it's insane 8)
  3. circletrack15

circletrack15 New Member

Balance:
    394Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    AWESOME!!! I dont know if I can help you but if I can PLEASE let me know,as Iam more than willing to help out how ever I can!! PLEASE keep me posted!!!
  4. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    Welcome.

I don't want to speak for exoexpress, but I think that you may have the mistaken impression that the Firgelli actuators are up to the job. I have never seen a video with anyone sitting in the seat using Firgelli actuators. I think that they may have been used more as a proof of concept for the software, but I'm sure that egoexpress will have more to offer on this subject.

I would suggest holding off till you can get some SCN5 actuators. If you want a parts list for SCN5 based sims, there is alot of info floating around these forums on the suject. My personal equipment preferences (parts list) can be found here - http://www.x-simulator.de/forum/simxperience-ii-2dof-driving-simulator-with-scn5-s-t1182.html .

You should also read in detail the SCN5 Software and Hardware threads. Much of our collective knowledge on the subject is in these threads.

http://www.x-simulator.de/forum/scn5-hardware-thread-t1083.html?hilit= SCN5

http://www.x-simulator.de/forum/scn5-software-thread-t1084.html

:cheers:
  5. circletrack15

circletrack15 New Member

Balance:
    394Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks!! I might have! I thought by what he was testing was to see if they would be able to work as far as racing with them. I was under the impression that the scn5,s were around $475.00 ea! but just saw that you can find them for $350.00 ea. Thats better! What I will most likely do is buy what I need as I can by what you guys tell me I need and buy the scn5,s last. Iam no different than you guys Iam sure as buying the better stuff!! Thanks. So what you sent me as far as a parts list,can I buy everything that I need from what you sent me??
  6. Mr Burns

Mr Burns New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Frex is using the 100mm scn5 actuators, they work good. But wait for egoexpress first, he probably has more info on his actuators, but I think he was switching to scn5 as well (the 100mm).
  7. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Though you get what you pay when using the firgellis, they work at least. As well with me sitting in the seat ;D
    I simply had no possibility to test-drive it a longer period because of the lack of a proper psu, and the 24V-1,5A one got hot very fast.
    Now I do have a proper psu, but my rig is disassembled.

I just cannot give you a guarantee that they will last for long time. As well you'd have to drill a thread into their rod, and replace the pot cables with shielded ones.
    A wipermotor solution could be interesting for you as well. You could save even more money, and it works as well.

wipermotor solution:
    (the movement profile is not worked out well, so just look at the seat motion)
    post11186.html#p11186

Both budget solutions (firgelli or wipermotors) require Thanos AMC1.5 and H-bridge.
    If you are not familiar with soldering circuit boards and tinkering on actuators, you should consider to use SCN5.
    Thanos controller and h-bridge are DIY projects, and there are no preassemled ones for sale.

Regards
  8. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Imho you should not buy the spare actuators from Frex, as they have a modified power connector, and I am not sure about the warranty. As well I dont think they will sell them to customers who havent bought a complete simconmotion rig before.
    Keep the shipping costs in mind as well ;D

But sure: If you can afford the SCN5, you should use them. You'd save alot of work and worries, and you would get some really good actuators. I will order a pair of them as well, soon.
  9. circletrack15

circletrack15 New Member

Balance:
    394Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank You very much!! Could you point me in the right direction for the wiper setup? I saw them but thought that they were not as reliable as the scn5,s.
  10. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Well, you are comparing 10Euro wipermotors with 400$ high-tech actuators :lol:

Btw, I'd recommend you Mirai-Intertech, as they have been very helpful so far.

regards
  11. circletrack15

circletrack15 New Member

Balance:
    394Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks!! I hope everyone had a Great! Christmas!! I have ordered some alluminum extrusions and brackets and will be ordering this week the other stuff from the parts list that (bvillersjr) gave me and am waiting to sell a kart to get my SCN5 actuators! Hey sacrifices have to be made here! Can you please tell me if I can get buy with the 100mm or do I need to get the 150mm? After I get some parts I will be learning to post pics so you guys can help me thru!
  12. circletrack15

circletrack15 New Member

Balance:
    394Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    :? Hey guys,I was wondering!, would it be a bad idea to actually bolt or mount the upper aluminum bar that mounts the actuators to the upper part of your seat to the seat??I would think that you would not want any sloppy movement of any kind. Just the dampners movement? I ask because I have not seen anyones sim buildt like that.I have an all aluminum stock car seat that I used in a Late Model stock car that I want to use (very lite!!) Maybe Iam just not seeing it and Iam sure if you dont theres a good reason why and would be greatful if someone could explain it to me? I will be building my sim as a cross between (bvillersjr) and (Mr Burns). I thank you guys very much!! Parts are ordered to get started!! I will I know ask a ton of guestions so please bare with me. Thanks circletrack15
  13. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    If your seat is strong enough then you can build some mounts that connect it directly. I mauy do this once I have decided on permanent actuator angles. Once you drill the holes, you can't un-drill them ;D

If you wind up wanting to change the width of the top side actuator bar, you wouldn't be able to do it without drilling additional holes into your seat. That is unless you make some kind of adjustable mounting bracket. I simply thread in various spacer/ extensions that I made to my top and bottom bars as I experiment with various angles.

You will likely need to do the same experimentation. The 150mm actuators have alot of travel and therefore can move more of your body mass beyond the centering point where your rubber mount or u-joint is supporting the majority of your weight. Without perfect balance andactuator angles, this is too much for the actuators to handle.
  14. circletrack15

circletrack15 New Member

Balance:
    394Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Cool!! My Late Model seat is all aluminum and is flat in the back so I can drill to my hearts content!! will only lighten the load! and not take any strength away!!So I should get the 150mm then???
  15. circletrack15

circletrack15 New Member

Balance:
    394Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey guys!! well here is alittle update to where I am now. I have cut my sim racer apart and started adding onto it for its transformation to being a real sim racer. I bought the 1.5 15S aluminum extrusion with brackets,screws ect. and am really pleased with how strong and cool looking this stuff is but was not expecting it to weigh as mush as it does. If any of you guys have any welding experience IMHO I would recommend building your base frame out of light weight 1.5 metal sqaure tubing. It is actually lighter than the aluminum and does not cost near as much. Iam very close to getting my scn5 actuators and need just a few more parts and will be able to get this baby going.

Attached Files:

16. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    ;D Don't forget stronger. The steel frame would be lighter, stronger and cheaper. If you can weld, it's arguably easier to assemble as well.

In any case, that's a fine looking sim you got going though. Please keep us updated. :thbup:
  17. circletrack15

circletrack15 New Member

Balance:
    394Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey guys whats up?? Well I have had a change of plans on what I will use to move my sim. Because of my job slowing down and money getting tight, I will now be moving to wiper motors instead of 150mm scn5 actuators! Yeh I know!, but it will be a long time to be able to save or have the money to get some. So,with that being said,I have new photos to show where I am and how close it is to being complete. I will be modeling my movement by what Tronicgr is using. So, I need you guys to Please give me some advice on how to get what I need as far as the AMC1.5 and H-bridge. I have been reading Tronicgr,s forum and some of it I dont understand.I have NO! problem making the boards myself but I cant find where to get all of the parts that I need and how much they cost? I will be posting more and asking more as Iam getting close to finish! Please feel free to guide and teach me!!! my friends! Will post more soon!! (circletrack15)

Attached Files:

18. adochoa

adochoa New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    circletrak,
    I found Mouser to be the easiest place for buying the parts as there is already a list on Tronics page. Unforturnately, there are a few ommissions and a few redundant parts. I can work on updating the list with what I have gotten if you need?

Dave (from sacramento)
  19. circletrack15

circletrack15 New Member

Balance:
    394Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That would be Great!!! Iam still alittle confused on what all I need to get? Theres stuff in Tronicgr,s forum that shows alot of stuff but doesnt really say what to get (all) to make what I need. If you could help me I would be VERY! greatful! Thanks circletrack15
  20. adochoa

adochoa New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well,
    Here is my list. It is mostly based off of the one posted in Thanos' thread, but with lots of small changes (mostly quantity's, but several extra parts, and a few wrong parts). My disclaimer is that both my AVR and H bridge are not functioning, though I think I have found my problem.

PLEASE review it before you buy. I'm not confident that it is mistake free. If you find no errors, I will post it in Thanos thread.

Thanks,
    Dave

Attached Files: