1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Newb + G27 + Racing Seat + Welder

Discussion in 'New users start here - FAQ' started by Laccery, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Laccery

Laccery New Member

Balance:
    294Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello everybody! I've been into modifying cars for a while now and can't afford real racing so I'm just now getting into sim racing and have already bought the Logitech G27 wheel package along with a cheap ebay racing seat which should be coming in this week. Once it's here I'm going to start making plans for a adjustable metal frame to mount the G27 and the seat out of aluminum to try and keep weight down and the motion rig under it will be made from steel.

I saw that there are some plans out there already but haven't seen any that I particularly like. Main features I'm going to try and incorporate into my frame would be. Reverse mount G27 pedals that have adjustable positioning. My racing seat comes with rails and I will be adding in some vertical adjustment to the bracketry. All the same with the steering wheel and shifter.

I've done a very small amount of reading a looking around but from what I can gather DC motors are the most accurate and best type of motor but I'm still not 100% sure on that. I've seen the 3 DOF setups and those don't look to complicated to setup. I don't think I'd be able to afford the 6 DOF because I saw people saying it's generally about 300 dollars per DOF. With all that in mind I'm hoping that I can just start out with a basic frame for the rig and then build the motion rig to mount to the bottom of it and the whole frame sits on the motion rig. I'm not sure what motors are capable of this type of weight/load or if this is even the best way to go about making a motion rig. More research is needed on my side but hello all and I look forwards to reading your guys posts and builds.
  2. cthiggin

cthiggin Active Member

Self-Employed
    Balance:
    15,209Coins
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Laccery,
    After two years of reading every thread I can, I'm also finally starting. My unit will be a 3DOF with AC motors etc.
    This reply is really to say: YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
    Good luck and never give up.
    cthiggin
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Good luck! I look forward to future updates ;)