1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

New to Motion Sim

Discussion in 'New users start here - FAQ' started by FlyB, May 16, 2014.

1. FlyB

FlyB New Member

Balance:
    244Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, Arduino, Motion platform
    I'm FlyB ... new to the world of motion sim and to this site. Excited about learning more and getting started building my first 3DOF platform. Thanks for the acceptance.
  2. Barry

Barry Active Member

Web Developer
    Balance:
    3,877Coins
    Ratings:
    +251 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    welcome to the club. I'm also building my first sim and i'm in the planning and part gathering stages too.
  3. FlyB

FlyB New Member

Balance:
    244Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I want to start with a couple wiper motors and a aduino uno but I'm not sure about the wiring or the motor prep part yet so any help would be appreciated. I am also in the planning stage, good luck on your build.

4. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    3dof drift? Or 3dof lift frame? Did you have a design in mind or an existing build that gets your interest?
    Maybe start with a 2DOF seat mover and build from that.
    Also, may I suggest Pololu JRKS, they may cost more, but are easy to wire up, need no code written, handle 14v at 30 amps all day with 45 am spikes no problem.
  5. FlyB

FlyB New Member

Balance:
    244Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I was thinking the 3 DOF drift and I don't have a exact design in mind, just the idwa of what I want to try first. Thanks for the input I am doing some search and checking out some videos on the pololu JRKS. Any build instructions are welcome because I am in the planning phase and open to suggestions so to not reinvent the wheel.
  6. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok, have a dig through the threads then . There is some build instructions, but no kit so to speak.
    Have a look through. You could incorporate a few designs into one.
    Best this is start with a seat mover and move up from there.
  7. FlyB

FlyB New Member

Balance:
    244Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thanks for the suggestions and for the insight on the pololu JRKS
  8. miguel aponte

miguel aponte New Member

Balance:
    432Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    what about those pololu's linear actuators? 1.7"/sec and loads up to 35 lbs. would those work or are too slow?
  9. FlyB

FlyB New Member

Balance:
    244Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Actually I am trying some wiper motors and I'll see how they handle with some weight on the platform. Linear actuators weren't my first choice, I'm trying to keep it low profile and streamlined. But if all else fail that will be my backup.
  10. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    Just beware to test the wipers to make sure the earth(Gnd) is not connected to the body of the wiper, If it is this must be fixed.
    Or when motors go in reverse the 12v's will be running through the frame of the sim, not good.
    Last of all check that the forward speed is the same as the backwards speed , some differ in speed but can be fixed too.
    Wipers are a budget choice but as long as you check them properly and don't load too much weight on them they will be fine to use.
  11. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    too slow, need about 6 " per second
  12. FlyB

FlyB New Member

Balance:
    244Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thanks for that insight on the motor. I really appreciate all the help and advice that you have been giving on this forum.
    • Like Like x 1