1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

New software hardware compatibility?

Discussion in 'XSimulator Q&A/FAQs - Outdated' started by nclabs, May 28, 2013.

1. nclabs

nclabs Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    196Coins
    Ratings:
    +146 / 0 / -0
    Hello everyone! I'm new to this community and I heard that a new software for motion simulators are coming out, now it's in beta but I'm sure that the developers can answer some very important question.

First of all I want to thank everybody contribute with the community, especially the developers that make the heart of all this. Thank you.

I'm planning to made a (new) motion simulator, the first version will have 2DOF but I'm looking forward to the 3DOF and more. One question I always had on my mind it's which kind of motor it's better to use for replicate that kind of movement? (now I have a 2DOF simulator with two SCN5 actuators with the x-sim software, and I have to say that it's looks quite right to me). I never tried a worm gear simulator (I'm planning to build one just to test it). This question lead in regardless to the kind of motor I will use, how can I control the movement of the motor?. It might seem a stupid question but it's not, al least for me. Like I said before, I had two SCN5 with the controller board onboard, so the compatible software tells the position to take and the actuators move accordingly. Earlier I went to an automation exibition and I understand that I can compose my perfect actuator choosing that motor with that mechanic with that control board but I can make a direct connection only with the x-sim software and the SCN5/6, just beacause there is an hardware plugin already developed especially for the SCN motors. The x-sim guy tell me if I was a developer I could write a new plugin for any controller board but it's not really my field (but I want to try in the future), so I'm asking: the new software that will be released soon, with which hardware will be direcly compatibile? Are you planning to use the Ethercat ( http://www.ethercat.org/ ) standard?
  2. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,398Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    Not sure if i can answer this correctly as Im more involved with game support and testing of a few motor controllers,
    So far I have tested the Jrks and Ard with the new software and was surprised on how much better they work.
    Not sure if a scn5 interface Plugin has been developed yet and all game plugins and software has been written from scratch this is not an off shoot of the old or new stuff, And is way easier to setup and use and with the planed open sourcing of the game plugins, we hope the community bands together again and drive this to greatness.

So the question needs to be directed to Rene or Yobuddy will the new software support Scn5 out of the box. ?

I feel you wont be able to achieve the torque need to lift a fully loaded sim with the scn5/6 or if they do it their speed will be no where near the 200mm/s they achive on a loaded sim chair, but on the other hand if it a yaw table you want to add to your existing 2dof then you can do this with no issues I can see, Actually would be a unreal ride, and yes new software supports yaw in nearly all the games supports.

Sorry I couldn't be much help.
  3. nclabs

Balance:
    196Coins
    Ratings:
    +146 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for your answer, and for redirecting me to the right members, I'm very interested in this topic, this new Ethercat fieldbus is taking over the whole automation industry, and it would be very useful if will be adopted built-in in the new program.

We done some tests about this question. We build the welded frame and we test (with a 90 kg driver on it) how much force needs to be lifted with a dynamometer (a professional one). After the measurements we have seen that two SCN6 with 40 kg of thrust provide more than double the amount of force needed. The only thing we can't predict it's (like you said) the overall speed of the actuator, unfortunatly to know that we had to buy those and try for real. We are waiting the package.

Thank you again.
  4. nclabs

Balance:
    196Coins
    Ratings:
    +146 / 0 / -0
    Maybe I have to change section of the forum?
  5. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,398Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    Well from what I hear my friend this compatabilty is being worked on, so soon thanks again to our much loved members here.
    The new software will hopefully support a sim like you have planned. :yippiee:

Start a new topic or even ask for this to move to a sim build section and start to nut out the build, keep us all informed quite interested in the idea. :clap: