1. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Download Package Now!
  2. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  3. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant here. Do not following these rules will lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.

News *NEW* SimRacer 4DOF Simulator

Discussion in 'Commercial Simulators and Peripherie' started by TruMotion Simulator, Feb 28, 2018.

1. TruMotion Simulator

TruMotion Simulator Manufacturer of the SimRacer

Balance:
    138Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    Hello XSimulator members and guests. After extensive development and testing we're pleased to introduce to you our SimRacer racing motion simulator. :) It has 4dof with individual roll/sway, pitch/surge, vertical heave and rear traction loss axis. And since its primarily designed with racing in mind it also simulates hand, arm, and chest compression and decompression that's felt during braking and acceleration events as well.

You can learn more about our design perimeters at TruMotion Simulator. And while you're there be sure not to miss checking out our videos of the SimRacer in action (since a picture is worth a thousand words our videos really say it all).

And for a limited time we have an exclusive offer for all XSimulator members and guests living in the contiguous United States; 10% off the SimRacers listed price and free shipping on it and all items purchased with it on the same invoice. Apply coupon code XSim10%&free in your cart with eligible items to receive this discount.

Thank you for looking us over and we welcome your feedback and questions here. You can also contact us by using the contact form on our website.

simracer-on-background.jpg
    trumotionsimulator.gif
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. Ringorumble

Ringorumble Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    26Coins
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Hmm, youre heave Looks Like Pitch :)
  3. TruMotion Simulator

Balance:
    138Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    Hi @Ringorumble. In a technical since there is a small amount of pitch on the heave axis but its negligible. The animation of heave above exaggerates what appears as pitch because its showing the full range of heave possible although that much is rarely used. Also in actually its moving up and down from center position but it only looks like its only going up and back to center because of the camera angle.

A better example of the SimRacer's heave is seen by viewing videos of it in motion.

Ferrari 458 GT2

Super Truck (ramp jump at 1:15)

Btw, the sound in the videos is being produced by the SimRacer's built-in speaker system w/amplifier and being recorded directly from a GoPro Hero 4 mic. Also the travel range of the actuators and the speed of each individual dof is adjustable as you drive with our remote control box that sits next to your steering wheel (although you can put it elsewhere if desired). We do this digitally instead of using potentiometers so these settings can be saved along with your motion profiles in our Simsation motion control software. So once you have your favorite setup for a particular game/car/track you will not loose it compared to using potentiometers when you change settings for different situations.

And I forgot to mention previously that Simsation works with SimTools motion data.

Thanks
    Bryan
  4. Nick Moxley

Nick Moxley Well-Known Member SimTools 2.0 Beta Tester

Owner/Operator- Moxleys Rantals
    Balance:
    20,280Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,405 / 28 / -3
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    I fail to see the similarity,

your heave axis % is far too large, GT3 cars dont have 6" of suspension travel.

Helmet cam further re enforcing my point.

Yes Silverstone has its bumps, but you overly exaggerating them big time.
  5. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member SimTools 2.0 Beta Tester

Balance:
    24,183Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,222 / 18 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Motion platform, 6DOF
    I'm not that concerned with the amount of heave travel, as long as it is used wisely for each simulation case, but have to agree with @Nick Moxley, no racecar rides like that - Is there a 'spring assist' in the heave mechanism - really looks like it is also oscillating? Just look at the amount of heave been displaced as shown on the screen and then what the sim is actually doing.. Sorry, but you have posted to a Simulation site :). Hopefully you take our criticisms as constructive; as I and I expect most, are not commenting just to be nasty.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  6. TruMotion Simulator

Balance:
    138Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    @Nick Moxley, @SeatTime, I appreciate your comments. The intent of our videos is to show what the SimRacer is capable of and not meant to say that the motion profiles we used in them will provide everyone with the experience they are looking for.

The good news is that you don't have to use our motion profiles because you can tune every game/car/track to your own preferences and then save your own motion profiles for recall the next time you need them.

Here's how you use our Simsation software to make your own motion profiles. After setting all dof adjustment sliders to neutral position in Simsation open SimTools tuning center and choose a medium car and a medium track from the game your tuning and proceed to tune to your liking as per the SimTools manual.

Once you are happy with the baseline settings for a particular game title in SimTools you then use Simsation's dof sliders to scale them for every car/track combination in the game. This is easy to do because each time you run a new car and track you can readjust the dof values to you liking by using Simsation's remote dof adjustment box as you drive the circuit. The current version of our box contains a 4 segment led display which provides a readout of the dof being adjusted and its value therefore you can tune when running in full screen mode since Simsation doesn't need to be visible to see what you're doing. When you're satisfied with each new tune you can then save it if desired so it can be used again the next time you drive the same car and circuit.

Also you seem concerned that motion is not matching the rendering of movement on the screen. Many motion simulator uses prefer to make the cockpit static on screen making this a non-issue and allowing you to run the motion profile of your choice.

Thanks
    Bryan
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member SimTools 2.0 Beta Tester

Balance:
    24,183Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,222 / 18 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Hi Bryan, really just trying to help you advertise your product better. It's a tough world out there, so you really need to be on point. Lots of great products around your price point. Eg. For one ... https://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/prosimu-prs-200-actuator-200kg-lift-2g-280mm-s.11759/ although I imagine you are very aware of what the opposition has to offer ;). Good luck in your venture :thumbs.
  8. TruMotion Simulator

Balance:
    138Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    @SeatTime, Thank you for the advice and friendly words. There is a lot of competition in the motion simulator industry these days for sure but I don't really think the product you provided a link to above is tough competition for the SimRacer do you?
    comp_table1.jpg
  9. Lasagna Smoothie

Lasagna Smoothie New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    279Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0
    I'm really impressed with your simulator. It looks extremely lively and responsive. That 360mm/s under full load is really impressive. Obviously the heave motion etc. can be toned down, put it's really fun seeing just how quick and engaging it appears. As someone that really enjoys more vigorous motion, these are the kinds of settings I'd probably keep myself - realism be damned. I think sometimes in the motion simulator community we get too hung up on realism at the expense of good old fashioned fun - although I'm sure the simulator can be toned down to more conservative levels.

I think combining full rig motion along with seat motion is absolutely brilliant. I've been waiting for a motion rig to come along that would finally check these two boxes and it's great to see it has finally arrived. The seat belt tension mechanism looks awesome as well, I love how it's elevated to reduce wear and tear on the seat. The wind system looks like a fantastic accessory as well, and the whole system seems really quite. The option for custom software and controller are a great touch as well, and the built in speakers are certainly a welcome addition. For just under seven grand this seems like a pretty incredible value to me.

I've recently invested in a Prosimu myself, so unfortunately I'm not in the market myself at the moment. However, if I were I would give your simulator very strong consideration. Having said that, one thing that's really great about the prosimu and other actuator platforms such as d-box is the haptic effects and mimicking of a car's suspension, so you can really feel the difference between say a race tuned suspension and just a regular sports car suspension. It's a pretty awesome sensation. I haven't tried your platform, but I'd assume you wouldn't get quite the same suspension feeling you get from actuator driven platforms. Nonetheless where your platform is greatly superior is in the area of imparting g-forces through the seat belt tension and seat movement. I had a seat mover before I had a full rig mover, and these g-force sensations are not to be underestimated. I'm sure the combination of seat and rig movement is just awesome and I'd love to test it out.

Just a few quick corrections to your chart above. The $9900 you quoted above for the Prosimu doesn't just include the actuators but also the full racing frame as well as an OMP seat. Prosimu also offers a 200mm actuator range, however, this will add several thousand dollars to the cost. Traction loss is also an option, but once again this costs extra. I agree the Prosimu solution is definitely louder than your system. The new actuators appear to be a much quieter than the old, however, your motion system seems really impressive in the noise department.

Now if I can just offer some constructive criticism:

-I'd really consider mounting a more impressive wheel on your rig for your videos. I'm not sure what the deal is with motion simulator developers mounting G27s on their high end systems. Very few people that purchase a +$5,000 motion simulator are going to be using a G27. I'd suggest an Accuforce or OSW. It's important that you demonstrate your rig is rigid enough to hand the torque from high end wheels and hydraulic pedal systems. Before I'd even consider purchasing a motion system I'd need to know it can handle a direct drive wheel and a high end pedal set.

-While you have a mounting point for a shifter, I'd recommend offering at least one more mounting point for a handbrake. This will make the platform much more appealing for rally car enthusiasts.

-It doesn't appear that you offer an option for mounting a HOTAS system. While most of your clients my be racers, I'm sure there are plenty interested in flight/space sims as well. If I'm going to spend a lot of money on a simulator, it needs to be as flexible and dynamic as possible.

Once again, this looks like a fantastic system that offers some of the best value for the money.
  10. TruMotion Simulator

Balance:
    138Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    Hi @Lasagna Smoothie. We really appreciate you spending some of you time to share your thoughts on the SimRacer. It's great to hear that someone on this forum understands our concept for a racing motion simulator and can see the benefits the SimRacer provides.

After previous testing with three prototypes we believe our forth model, which became the SimRacer, provides the most convincing motion for racing there is. We say this because we found that most importantly motion for racing simulation must be dynamic (energetic) as well as fluent to be effective. This only makes since when you consider g-forces are constantly changing in magnitude and direction. We also found that when motion is dynamic that the use of washout filter's is not required because one's brain can quickly learn to accept quick returns to neutral or center as normal occurrences.

Yes correct. We thought it would be obvious if we showed it doing more then it could certainly do less too. Its possible to tune it down to where you can't even feel it but of course then there would be no need to have a motion simulator.

The SimRacer is no different. Each car and setup has its own unique feel including how weight transfer varies from one vehicle to the other. It is pretty awesome! If you look at the Super Trucks video above you can see how top heavy the motion looks compared to the Ferrari.

I've also noted: use of a high end wheel would be more impressive and would help prove it can handle the additional torque, need a hand brake mount, need a way to mount HOTAS. The SimRacer can be used for flight titles too but when doing so we recommend using pitch & roll velocities with heave and not pitch & roll in degrees.

Thanks, we think so too. We really struggled to keep costs as low as possible to be competitive with lower price motion simulator makers out there while at the same time offering more value. With some careful redesigning after our third prototype we were able to reduce our estimated retail price of $13,000 to now only $7650.

Also thanks for clarification on the actuators listed in the table above. We looked at the web page for their new actuators and it appears to show the actuators alone are $9900. But after further research I see they will give you a frame and seat too basically for free when you purchase 4 actuators.

Have a nice day
    Bryan
  11. TruMotion Simulator

Balance:
    138Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    Hello @Nick Moxley, @SeatTime, and to others that prefer a lesser heave motion profile than shown in our previous videos above. Below is another video of a Ferrari 458 at Silverstone on a SimRacer but now using a reduced motion profile. Does this more closely match your expectations of how heave should appear when using this car on this track? Not all of us are fortunate enough to be professional drivers and haven't had the opportunity to actually experience driving extremely expensive race cars on the greatest race courses in the world to see how they really feel in real life.

Thanks
    Bryan
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  12. TruMotion Simulator

Balance:
    138Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    Hi. A short video taken while having some fun with rear traction loss.
    • Funny Funny x 2