1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

New PJ / NVIDIA 3D Vision 720p or 1080p PJ ??

Discussion in 'Off Topic - All other stuff here' started by bleco, Mar 7, 2011.

1. bleco

bleco Member Gold Contributor

IT Problem Coordinator
    Balance:
    258Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hi!

Another upgrade for my simulator very soon and I need some advices...

I already sold my 47'' lcd monitor and I am shopping for a projector.

I am looking for something cheap under 1k and I am really not sure if going with full HD 1080p PJ or 720p 3D PJ ...

The PJ's I am interrested in are;

- Acer H5360 (720p NVIDIA 3D vision ready)
    http://www.projectorcentral.com/Acer-H5360.htm

- Vivitek H1080FD (Full HD 1080p)
    http://www.projectorcentral.com/vivitek ... review.htm

Those PJ are my best buy for under 1k ...

Anyone running these PJ's or any other NVIDIA 3D vision PJ ?

Apparently NVIDIA 3D is excellent on PJ but I never tried it ...

I am really not sure if going with 720p 3D or full 1080p ...

Any experiences and advices for me??

Thx!

Bleco
  2. MasterYoda

MasterYoda Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    322Coins
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    Hi! Bleco!

I have an Optoma HD806 Full HD and it is really nice.
    However, I have never tried an 3D to compare.

I can say that if you are not going for a screen too big, the 720p will not make much difference. At least, for most of the people.

It would be nice to test 3D with a projector one day, I have tested with 22 LCDs and didn't like it much.

Cheers.

Erick
  3. bleco

IT Problem Coordinator
    Balance:
    258Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hi Masteryoda!

I was planning to project around 100 inch diagonal and from a distance of around 75 inch from my eyes...

I also didn't really like the 3d effect on a Sony Led screen ... But apparently it's quite good on a projector compatible with NVIDIA 3d vision ... and according to the web site, iRacing, rFactor and Race07 are in the list of supported games in the 'Excellent' group ...

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-3d-games.html

I don't know ...

Bleco
  4. Deaks

Deaks New Member

Freelance Editor
    Balance:
    388Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm one of the (not sure how many percent of people) who have trouble with 3d due to monopic vision. It's weird, I see with both eyes but look with my left (dominant) eye.

The only 3d that worked for me recently was sky sports coverage of the Ryder Cup that I was fortunate to work on. The 3d images inside the 3d OB truck were awesome, but we are talking about a truck with 10,000,000 pounds worth of kit in it.
    All the sky techies reccomended against the active TV's and projectors that rely on shuttered glasses. The view was that passive screens and polarised glasses gives the best results.

When ever I have tried the active systems, all I get is a nasty flicker in the corner of my right eye. Not nice and made me feel a bit odd (odder than normal) :lol:

I'm going to give 3d a miss for a while yet. I have been looking into the acrilyc domes (ala frex) that BrightonUK has documented.
    If I can find someone else in the UK that woiuld go halves, I just might go for it.

My advice would be check out 3d projection for real before parting with you hard earned cash.

Deaks
  5. bleco

IT Problem Coordinator
    Balance:
    258Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thx for the advice,

I will try for sure to test it in stores ... There are mitigate opinions about it ... I might end up buying the Vivitek full HD ...

Bleco
  6. Baurus

Baurus New Member

Balance:
    161Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    hi
    I have nvidia 3D glasses and when a game is on a list excellent the 3D is not perfect it depend.
    With large screen (100 inch diagonal) I think full HD 1080p is better.

Baurus
  7. bleco

IT Problem Coordinator
    Balance:
    258Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    But do you have an NVIDIA graphic card?

What would be the minimum distance from a 100 inch screen for a humain eye for not making the difference between 720 and 1080p ?

Thx!

Bleco
  8. Nima

Nima Member Gold Contributor

Glaser
    Balance:
    529Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hi
    befor i have drive with acer 5360 and 3d nice effect and the acer have the lightpower for 3d but the revulotion is to small for my simulation.i drive in a 160cm dom and only 80 cm to my eys.now i have a fullhd and is many better.
  9. bleco

IT Problem Coordinator
    Balance:
    258Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hey Nima!

80cm from your eyes ... it should make a big difference over 720p ...

Interresting article and charts:

http://carltonbale.com/1080p-does-matter

Bleco
  10. Baurus

Baurus New Member

Balance:
    161Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Yes of course and for play in 3D I hope so you have a strong card. When you active 3D your fps decrease and for play comfortably you need 70-80 fps minimum so a gtx200 or 400 serie is required for have a good framerate. After if you play old game don't worry but if you play at NFS shift 2 in 3D for example you need a good card.
    I hope so you understand me because i speak in an approximative english :)
  11. Nima

Glaser
    Balance:
    529Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hi
    yes i see a big difference and i have bad eys.
  12. bleco

IT Problem Coordinator
    Balance:
    258Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I think I have my answer here ...:
    http://carltonbale.com/1080p-does-matter

So on a 100 inch screen, I should notice the 1080p over 720 if I sit at a maximum distance of 13 feet ...

I think I will order the Vivitek 1080p PJ ... Very good deals however on either acer h5360 or Optoma hd66 720p PJ ...

Bleco
  13. splendiddd

splendiddd Active Member

CCTV security
    Balance:
    807Coins
    Ratings:
    +62 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino, Motion platform
    Hi,

In my triple beamer setup i have a nvidia 3d acer 1280x1024 4:3 pj as the center pj.
    I did test the 3d effect a lot of times, its kinda cool, but i think its too dark with the glasses and i don't like wearing glasses while racing...
    However the 3d effect is better than on my zalman 3d screen. (the zalman uses polorized but its a bit outdated)
    My side beamers also have a 3d logo, and are acers, but don't work with nvidia. Another problem is that the th2go does not support 120hz.
    Before this setup i had a fullhd epson3lcd pj, and it was ok, only the dlp pj from acer produce much more light.
    If i where you i'de go with the 1080p beamer the resolution boost does matter with pc games! With movies its less noticeble...the 3d is a nice gimmic but nothing more than that.
    Just my 2 cents :yes:

Regards,

Rob
  14. MasterYoda

Balance:
    322Coins
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    Bleco,

100in is huge. At normal distances you should notice some difference, but mainly for games.

However, I still suggest you to try each one first.
    If you can buy what you want at a local Future Shop or Best Buy, better.
    Than you buy and if you don't like, just return! ;-)

I am not using my 1080p Optoma Hd806 projector... Maybe you want to make me an offer!? :)
    Easy to pick up here in St-Laurent! ;-)

Cheers,

Erick
  15. bleco

IT Problem Coordinator
    Balance:
    258Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hey Erick,

I am not sure yet how many inch I will project, I will have to test and find the best setting/distance...

Thx for the offer but I already ordered the Vivitek H1080FD like 2 minutes before I saw your post! love 3D ... :) and like Splendiddd said, wearing 3D glasses all the time should not be very cool ...

I am just a little bit impulsive guy! ;-)

Should receive it on friday ... can't wait!

Bleco
  16. Fahim

Fahim Member

Balance:
    245Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yeah , I went to peters (Skaut) to see his 3-d setup. I want to do it one day but man its expensive and the techonology is still improving. I can wait for this. I saw need for speed in 3-d but his motion sim was not setup for use at that time. Would be good to play in 3d and feel motion one day. See if it is all that.
  17. MasterYoda

Balance:
    322Coins
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    Hi! Bleco,

I know what you mean, I am exactly like you... When I decide I want something, it is just the time to choose the model and find the best price on the web... 8)

Yesterday I bought the new Thrustmaster T500RS for testing! LoL
    I say that because since I got my non-FFB ECCI I can't replace it for anything else... I tried G25, G27, Fanatec GT3RS, all gone... The ECCI remains...

I am starting to think 2x1080p to be the best solution on a wide curved screen...
    Has anyone tried this yet?
    Is the image correction software capable of handling this properly? Is it possible to have a better focus at the middle where the images connect? :?

Cheers,

Erick
  18. splendiddd

splendiddd Active Member

CCTV security
    Balance:
    807Coins
    Ratings:
    +62 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino, Motion platform
    2x curved 1080p screen setup is something i thought about, i tried it with one screen and the software works great.
    http://nthusim.com is the demo i used at the time, however there is also sol7 but its more expensive i think.
    Anyway 2x1080p was too much and large (wide) for me, and too expensive. The software alone cost around 300euro's orso, and making a curved screen is harder than making 3 separate ones... I used a single 110inch display.
    Selling my single 1080p beamer and bought 3x Acer beamers seemed the cheapest solution.
    So i went for the triple pj setup i now have, never regret it, btw it was Erick (and his youtube vid) who inspired me in the time he had the setup like this. :lol:
    Ps: i did use the 1080p beamer for over 3 years and loved it too so you won't be dissapointed Bleco !

Cheers
  19. Nima

Glaser
    Balance:
    529Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hi splendiddd
    i use the nthusim to.but in the moment i test with http://www.vioso.com/de/downloadall/ .with the multi soft you can use 6 projectors and it make colers
    and geometric with camera scan.and is not a high price.
  20. MasterYoda

Balance:
    322Coins
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    I gotta admit I miss my old 3-projector setup! :-(

However, I would go back only if I could have a nice curved screen and maybe 2 x 1080p (better pixel quality). :brows:

Cheers.

Erick