1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

New layout for notification mails

Discussion in 'Forum and Website' started by RaceRay, Oct 12, 2015.

1. RaceRay

RaceRay Administrator Staff Member SimAxe Beta Tester

Self-employed | Web and application development
    Balance:
    23,837Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,965 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, SimforceGT
    I noticed that user are often writing answers directly via mail when they receive a notification mail about a new conversation or new post for a forum they are watching.

This does not work and those mails never receive any participant!

Conversations and new posts must be written within the forum software not via mail. So i changed the notification layout in a form that it does not contain the complete post or conversation any longer. So it is necessary to login to the website first to be able to read the entire message and to answer it than.

I am not sure if this leads to any usability drawbacks and therefore is only a test!

If it leads to more disadvantages than advantages or if i get any serious complains about i i consider to revert.

Regards,
    René
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Nick Moxley

Nick Moxley Well-Known Member

Owner/Operator- Moxleys Rantals
    Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    I always log in and poke around the "new posts". So no worries here.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hey Just noticed that it brings your to the Newest post now, or the post your being notified about in the email. No longer do you start on Page 1 and have to click to the last page.

:thumbs:thumbs

Thanks Rene
    • Like Like x 1
  4. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The only thing I dont really like it that you cannot read the last posted reply on the thread. I admit , with the other system, I could see the reply in my email and I could prepare a reply, or ignore it.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Blame73

Blame73 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    8,255Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,105 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    agree @bsft
    One more vote for previous system, it has no point now receiving notification email having to load a web page, almost always from the smartphone, to see what's new.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I must be the only person not to get emails on my phone, heck, I only recently installed skype on it......
  7. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    I also DO NOT have my phone hooked up to The particular email i use for here, I get dozens and dozens of notifications every day from all the misc forums ive been on in the past (mostly RC stuff rctech.net ) which i somehow accumulated some 12,000+ posts :nerd
  8. Blame73

Blame73 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    8,255Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,105 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    hey @RaceRay I bet that most of the times, if not always, are new users who answer emails.
    could there be an option in personal panel so that we can opt one way or another, leaving maybe by default the new one?
  9. RaceRay

Balance:
    23,837Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,965 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hey guys,

i agree with you all. It's uncomfortable to not see the content of a mail and to not be able to check out first if it is relevant for our personal interest. Not everyone has the time to read all posts

> hey I bet that most of the times, if not always, are new users who answer emails.

Ok i will revert this.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. RaceRay

Balance:
    23,837Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,965 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    @Nick Moxley Hey Just noticed that it brings your to the Newest post now, or the post your being notified about in the email. No longer do you start on Page 1 and have to click to the last page.

I think this only happens when you have previously already read a particular message. If i haven´t read a message and i click on the link in the mail i am redirected to that particular post.
    • Agree Agree x 1