1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

New Headset Oculus Rift S inside out tracking

Discussion in 'VR Headsets and Sim Gaming - Virtual Reality' started by Javo5, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Javo5

Javo5 Active Member

Balance:
    293Coins
    Ratings:
    +52 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    https://uploadvr.com/oculus-rift-s-official/
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Sebj

Sebj Active Member

Balance:
    492Coins
    Ratings:
    +165 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Be interesting to hear how an inside out unit performs with a seat mover.
  3. MarkusB

MarkusB Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    4,212Coins
    Ratings:
    +594 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Maybe with a new approach for motion cancellation: Put a non-transparent box around your head and mount it to your seat. Then the headset cameras only detect movements relative to the box (and the seat). :)
  4. f1iceman

f1iceman Why So Serious ? ( The Joker )

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    It's terrible jittery to say the least, I was on dirt rally and how nice it looked it was soon disappointing as it needs stabilization or something as it's just far too sensitive to movements, abit like recording a video with a shaky hand on an old vhs camera system.
    Sends you dizzy.
    I never even gave it a thought tbh it might do that, so I have gone back to my cv1 now.
    But that's no probs as I can still use this for the room scale stuff in the house as per plan if it was no good for the sim rig.
    • Informative Informative x 2
  5. f1iceman

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    I'm such a div. Lol
    I will try it today but finally had some proppa time with the Rift S on a room scale level.
    I I have to say it's the controller which are not as good as the cv1.
    They have made them too slick no definition for the holding of then I dont like them as much, seem they have made the change for fashion and looks not function.
    Now for the divvy moment.
    I never even noticed the button tbh thats under the headset as I only used it for 5mins on dirt rally and gave up.
    Turns out that after messing in room scale I spotted the button and what it did and that was move the whole headset part towards your face so now I can have the pressure poss needed to keep the headset from bobbing about.
    The reason I didnt think owt of the big button was I thought it was for the camera activation, and the headset was supposed to sit just on your face for comfort with that type head strap.
    I am such an idiot tbh.
    I will try out today again with the seat mover and see if it improves as the headset wont move jittery now I can push it into my face, that way can see if it still does it or clears this up for an ok on a seat mover via the outside tracking :)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. f1iceman

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    Ha Ha !!
    tried it today and its still the same problem, but it could be the foam is not very good and too soft as i still can not clamp it firm on my face so still think its got a jitter on, so the answer for me ATM is no it still don't work very well with dirt rally, i mainly the small details of virbrations thats the problem still.
    will try find a better faceplat for the rift s.
  7. Sebj

Sebj Active Member

Balance:
    492Coins
    Ratings:
    +165 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Good feedback. Hopefully these sensorless (wall mounted) headsets won't be such a challenge for us simracers with motion in the near future.
  8. J-1775

J-1775 Aviator

Balance:
    1,507Coins
    Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    The smiley may mean you are not serious about that proposal? But in fact, since I got the HP Reverb a week ago with an image so much better than the Valve Pro I had used with OVRIE, I have thought about a solution of this kind. However I am not 100% confident it would work. It all depends where the software puts the priority: on the virtual room it has created or the acceleration sensors?
    Has any person ever tried it?
    • Like Like x 1
  9. f1iceman

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    Has anyone got the rift headset to work with the motion seat movers.
    I tried again after some time just incase any updates woudl fix things.
    Its still the same problem for me jitter inside screens moving to the slightest motion.
    It is a real shame for me atm as its som mich clearer than my cv1.
    So would have been nice to run it.
    I am happy with cv1 mind but the fact ibhave two sets and can not even run one is annying when ita the newset better res.
    Cheers for any info.
  10. J-1775

J-1775 Aviator

Balance:
    1,507Coins
    Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    I can use the HP Reverb with all flight and racing sims I have (and use thru Steam), but since OVRIE does not work with WMR I need to reduce motion level to between 15-30%. I had a GSeat before and I was able to run it at 100% level when using the Oculus Rift. Sorry, this isn't probably of much help to you?
  11. f1iceman

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    When ever you post its info for everyone, its just small jitter, i would think it would be ok with most other sims just dirt rally is one i use for a quick blast here and there to keep me happy, so having the most sensitive movements at all times from the gravel type surfaces so jitter is at all times.
    The rest i would think like circuit cars prob not an issue for it.
    I have not tried as i don't want to keep swopping headsets really so hapoy either way with cv1
    Just would have been nice as its alot clearer as in brighter more than owt with abit of a crispness to it on the rift s.
  12. janio

janio janio from brazil

state employee
    Balance:
    184Coins
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    so markusb, after 1 year of posting, is there any progress? I'm building a 180º and the dof holl of the rift s will be a problem.
  13. MarkusB

MarkusB Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    4,212Coins
    Ratings:
    +594 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    I never followed this approach. When I posted this, it wasn't even meant entirely serious.
  14. ryanosman

ryanosman New Member

Commercial Recreational Sim Owner/Operator
    Balance:
    272Coins
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, AC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Well maybe not a box around your head, but I wonder about eg: an enclosure (dome) over the platform at arms length away. I think the future is inside out tracking, and if that is how things go, motion sims will need to somehow embrace that eventually.

edit: after a few minutes thinking about it... it seems to me that inside out tracking a canopy connected firmly to the platform would be all you'd need to deal with motion compensation... but again... there would still be discrepancies between what the IMU says the HMD is doing and what the cameras say the HMD is doing (eg: sim tilts, IMU says we've tilted, but cameras say we're still level!), and I don't know if/how one could successfully throw away the IMU data if that's what would need to happen (if there even is an IMU on the rift S that is... there must be?!).
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  15. lysa elec

lysa elec LYSA ELEC

Balance:
    - 68Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    i rerch the setting for rift s and project car 2 (i7 and rtx 2080 super )