1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

new guy, Hiiiiiii. wanting a radical approach on 2 Dof sim

Discussion in 'New users start here - FAQ' started by rockroyalty, Jan 8, 2013.

1. rockroyalty

rockroyalty New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi guys, I'm new to this motion simulator thing, and my approach to things is perhaps different to others... I want to make a 2 DoF motion simulator using linear actuators. but that's not where its different. I noticed many people using complicated boards, controllers, and software... the thing is I'm trying to build a simulator for the computer dummy (me). so is there any way of maybe opening the logitech G27 and play with the wiring of left/right steering movement to result in the left and right actuators to move accordingly??? is there a way (maybe via the use of switches) to make this happen without needing to fiddle with software and hardware. this would make the device have a universal application, turn the wheel right, the chair moves right, turn it left, the simulator moves left.

any help would be much appreciated. Regards. Rock
  2. value1

value1 Nerd SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Balance:
    14,509Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,319 / 11 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, Joyrider
    Hi rockroyalty and welcome to the forum!
    The point is that connecting wires of a steering wheel with an actuator will not result in a real feel. Imagine you slide around a right curve and countersteer. The centrifugal acceleration from the curve says left actuator down while the position/turn of the steering wheel says right actuator down.

Now connecting a jrk to a winch motor (or similar) is almost as easy – if not even easier than fiddling with the wires of the wheel.
    There are plenty of threads in the forum on how to connect the game with the software, the jrk and the motors, e.g. here
  3. rockroyalty

rockroyalty New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    thanks, but would'nt adding the pololu restrict its usage to PC's... I wanted to make the whole thing compatible with the PS3 for my younger brothers. is there any way other than making it software/pololu independent that can make it PS3 compatible?
  4. value1

value1 Nerd SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Balance:
    14,509Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,319 / 11 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, Joyrider
    It's the motion extraction software which is limiting the use to PC games.
    Check out Deriy's video where he explains (after 4:00) how he connected his PS3 with the simulator. The discussions about the limitations of this approach you can find here (post of 30.05.2010 15:51)