1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

New Builder seeking ideas on 6dof flight sim

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by sarasota_krash, Apr 12, 2010.

1. sarasota_krash

sarasota_krash New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello All,

So after reading many of the topics and looking at the different projects going on I'm really excited to try to build something big. I'm looking for suggestions and ideas to get my project started and you guys really look like you could help me in a big way. This is my first sim ever and besides being a commercial pilot with a minor in engineering, it’s been a long time since school and I'm not sure if I'm getting in over my head. So here we go, this is my idea.

I would like to build a flight sim to use with FSX where my seat, flight controls (yoke, pedals and throttle quadrant) and at least two touch screen monitors are full motion on a 6dof setup. I would be using the touch screens simply for instruments while my projector which would be mounted stationary would be showing my view of flight.

I'm thinking of purchasing some of the flight controls from VR Aircraft Co.
    http://www.vraircraft.com/index_12.htm
    http://www.vraircraft.com/index_23.htm
    http://www.vraircraft.com/index_20.htm

I think I would the main setup to be on 6 SCN5's and build the frame out of stainless steel or aluminum.

My main questions are as follows:
    1. Can a first timer do this with little to no experiance in sim software and integration between computers and external hardware?
    2. Are there any links specially to do with measurements of building the support brackets and frame for the SCN5's?
    3. Are SCN5's the best option for a flight sim? Since I do not need as quick response as the driving sims and looking for smooth movement?
    4. Besides higher difficulty in welding and material costs, are there any other drawbacks to using aluminum for the entire frame? trying to keep the weight down but does it flex too much.
    5. Besides the actuators, what are the main components that I would need with a 6DOF setup? (middleware between actuators and computer)

I know that I will have a million questions once I start but any helpful suggestions before I dive in would be greatly appreciated. I see a lot of topics on 2dof racing sims but not very much on flight sims such as this.

Thank you all in advance. I plan on documenting my build well once I start. Looking at about 3-4 week from now but would like to start my budgeting and part sourcing to start asap.

Thanks again.

Mike
    Florida, US
  2. Mambo

Mambo New Member

Balance:
    288Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Well SCN5 wil WON'T work. They dont have power to move with platform.
  3. jakob

jakob New Member

Balance:
    313Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
  4. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    the SCN5's have very limited (150mm) travel. You will either have small movements, or extend the lever arms for more movement which will snap the actuators in half. They are not a great choice.

I would recommend you to start somewhere simple on your first build. Jumping straight into 6DOF might turn out to be a lot of money wasted if you don't get it right.

The 2DOF Joyrider based simulators are very simple to build and can be done for very little money. They are perfectly suited for flight simulation as you can achieve 90° roll and pitch movement without a lot of problems. Not 6DOF, but still a lot of fun and perfect for a first build.

For your instruments: you can build them for the fraction of that price. Jeez, 1300 for a throttle quadrant? Add 1000 if you want servo feedback? If you can build it mechanically, I can give you the electronics for it. The whole cockpit instrumentation can be done for less than $500.