1. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Download Package Now!
  2. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  3. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant here. Do not following these rules will lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.

NEW 6DOF 12V CABLE driven peoject

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by George Dobransky, Oct 13, 2018.

1. George Dobransky

George Dobransky Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    575Coins
    Ratings:
    +54 / 3 / -0
    Hi there,

After my first 2dof system I have inspirated to build a new conception. The idea is that about we can use gravity to move the platform down. It is a 6 cabled hanging system with 6 12V gate motors, multi turn pots and gate cable reels turning to pull. Pushing should be done gravity. I tested with model, it was working OK. With this method the lifting distance should be so high, about one meter or more. The construction is about to finish, controllers, wiring, frame, everything is done by now, only the motors I'm waiting for now. Here are some pics about the current state. It is surprisingly stable, when I tested to sit in.

I'm very curious now how it will work. If it is OK, than it is a cheap and simple alternate do make 6dof systems without actuators.

Forst tests soon!

Cheers,
    George

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. MarkusB

MarkusB Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    2,095Coins
    Ratings:
    +257 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, Motion platform
    I am always curious to see different approaches than the usual ones. Do you have a video to share?

And did you get your inspiration from this system?
    http://www.cablerobotsimulator.org/

It came to my mind immediately when reading about a cable-driven system.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. George Dobransky

George Dobransky Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    575Coins
    Ratings:
    +54 / 3 / -0
    MarkusB,

There is no video yet, coz I'm just waiting for the motors and the pots. First tests will be approximately in 2 weeks.
    The inspiration was from this guy's video:

First I wanted to make it with actuators also, but I thought we don't need more accelerate down than gravity, -so it should be simpler and easier to use gravity to move it down. I planned the frame and the cables positions in CAD and made a small model how should it works. Model tests was promising, that's why I decided to build scaled. I'm so curious now how it will work, 'coz if it is works well, that will be a much cheaper and fast build possibility to 6dof systems.

Cheers,
    George
    • Like Like x 2