1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

New 5 DOF sim platform

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by CW, Aug 3, 2007.

1. CW

CW Member

Jack of all
    Balance:
    14Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just started to fabricate the new platform. not a very good vid, taken on my phone. A 737 is going to sit on top The file is a zipped 3gp and you need a codec to view.

www.x-simulator.de/forum/uploader/downl ... deo000.zip

[​IMG]
  2. RaceRay

RaceRay Administrator Staff Member SimAxe Beta Tester

Self-employed | Web and application development
    Balance:
    23,837Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,965 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, SimforceGT
    1 axis for rotation
    1 axis for hub, up and down
    1 pivot knuckle for 2 degrees of freedom

Total is a 4DOF simulator, that sounds like a big challenge :wink:

How do you want to move it, with pneumatics or elektric actuators?

Kind regards
    RaceRay
  3. CW

CW Member

Jack of all
    Balance:
    14Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Re 5 DOF

Gidday RaceRay, It will be 5 DOF I didnt show that the whole thing will sit on a ball race (like a lazy susan in a straight line) for sway. I went on a 737-800 the other day and the sway was one of the most prominant movements. If it has to be 4 then I will lose yaw.
    I am losing a bit of sleep at the moment (4:00 am is my best thinking and design time) over how to power it, if you have seen my other sim you will see that it is 12volt electric with auto power steering racks,now this works ok (refer carsim.mpg) but i need more power especially for the heave.
    I am probably going for single phase 230volt mains motors and I am going to check today (another 4:00 am idea) that an old washing machine agitator set up may work OK for heave and some homemade linear actuators made from sissor jacks for the others, because the sim is in a house and accidents do happen I want to keep away from potentially messy hydraulics (cost factor as well) I would rather spend the real money on the visual system.
    regards
    CW
  4. CW

CW Member

Jack of all
    Balance:
    14Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just a footnote,the linear actuators are working well and I am not going to use sway at this stage, so back to 4 DOF. I cant get a high enough frequency for realism may revisit later and can easily modify the platform to accomodate two more axis.
    The platform is nearly complete apart from the wiring. So motion trials will start in about two weeks.
  5. CW

CW Member

Jack of all
    Balance:
    14Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Gidday Sirnoname
    If you mean the roll/pitch knuckle it is the driveshaft off a Hyundai Pony, the polished part is the thrust surface for heave. The last simulator shaft was fine with 300 kg weight for the life of the sim in fact it still lives in the car sim.
  6. CW

CW Member

Jack of all
    Balance:
    14Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It is the shaft between the gearbox and differential in a conventional rear wheel drive car, the shaft is about 75mm in diameter with the universals of about 25mm in diameter and a mounting flange on the end, designed to take torsional loads of many newton meters, perfect for a heavy sim!

[​IMG]driveshaft.jpg (6.18 KB)