1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Nema 34 stepper motor upgrade issues

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by kandianyin4, Mar 18, 2020.

Tags:
  1. kandianyin4

kandianyin4 New Member

Balance:
    103Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino, JRK
    Hi Guys

I decided I wanted to upgrade my nema 23 425 motors to nema 34's. Figuring it would be a simple job I went about ordering new motors and fitted them today. However since fitting them it's taken my machine out of action.

I have leadshine dm856 drivers hooked up to 48v power suppliers. Prior to the switch I was able to jog at 8000mm a min easily enough. Now I can't go past 500 without jamming. Acceleration is set to 50... steps haven't changed and it's a 1605 ball screw machine.

These are the new motors:

https://www.oyostepper.com/goods-51...or-120Nm-169968ozin-86x86x1505mm-4-Wires.html
    https://www.oyostepper.com/goods-51...tor-85Nm-120394ozin-86x86x1170mm-4-Wires.html

I feel like I'm missing something, but I'm not sure what...

I have just a single motor connected to X at present...

If I jog it just seems to jam up
  2. kiwibrick

kiwibrick New Member

Balance:
    12Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nema34 generally have more torque than nema23, but they have less speed, and they make the torque at a lower speed.
    I couldn't find any torque graphs on the page you listed to compare but generally nema34's torque drops off far quicker than nema23's, so a nema23 can have more torque at a higher rpm, and you are spinning those nema23's fast to get 8000mm per minute.
  3. kiwibrick

kiwibrick New Member

Balance:
    12Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Also the max amps and inductance is different.
    Assuming you have the nema23 425oz 4.2A version https://www.oyostepper.com/goods-88...2A-57x57x114mm-4-Wires-CNC-Stepper-Motor.html, they have max amps of 4.2A and inductance 3.8mH
    The nema34 you linked is rated amps 5.2A and inductance 8mH.
    I know on a cnc machine the rated amps and inductance needs to be taken into account for the power supply and driver configuration.
    You might have gone over the max amps of you power supply