1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question Need help getting data to Game Dash

Discussion in 'SimTools Pro & Entertainment Version' started by Zed, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Zed

Zed VR Simming w/Reverb Gold Contributor

Balance:
    5,834Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Hey guys, I’m really close but I’m stuck. @RiftFlyer and @Dirty started on the path of modifying @value1's DCS plugin to output custom data to Sim Tools and opened up an Export.lua file to experimentation and that gives me almost everything I need but not quite. I need to be able to get two variables to Game Dash at least the way I understand the problem.

Thread here: https://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/new-output-possibilities-for-dcs.10181/

I mostly fly and we were working on “windiness” combining things like canopy position with airspeed. As I was looking at it, it seemed like an opportunity to even provide differential fan control for when apparent wind is off centerline like in slips and crabs.

I added functionality to the Arduino wind program to allow sending separate right and left fan speed values individually and that works. I have been mapping the data values I need to calculate windiness and differential wind, but just don’t know how to get the right and left wind values from the Export.lua to Game Dash.

I’ve tried to find documentation but am apparently missing it if it’s there. It’s the last bit I’m missing to try differential wind.

The plugins have been a black box until now. I would bet I could just go outside of Sim Tools and get access to what I need by writing an additional program since wind is a different animal than a motion platform, but at least with DCS, it’s so close.

Any insights or help? TIA!

Thanks!
  2. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,212Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,038 / 16 / -0
    Hi @Zed,
    It could be that the plugin itself needs upgraded to pass dash data?
    But i have not seen the source of it or anything.
    it just might not be something you can do from the Export.lua.
    (again thou, i'm a bit out of the loop on this one, head buried in code lol)
  3. Zed

Balance:
    5,834Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Hey yobuddy, yeah, I’m coming at this from the outside and trying to learn how the bits and pieces fit. I was wondering if the Game Dash enable went in the dll and with wind not being in DCS until now, I was guessing it isn’t there.

I’ve been looking at just doing something standalone since wind isn’t tied into the motion bits. I think I can just roll my own application to access the draw values in DCS and talk to the wind setup directly. I’m also looking at P3D and Aerofly FS2. I’ve started looking at examples of getting the data out. The whole windiness thing is kind of tantalizing and I’d like to push the capability.

Thanks for letting me know, yobuddy!
  4. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,212Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,038 / 16 / -0
    Hi @Zed,
    Let's work thru a plugin in the PM you sent.
    I think you may not find it to hard.
    I'll message you in a bit.
    yobuddy
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Che Franklin

Che Franklin im alot brighter than i look.. Gold Contributor

Balance:
    593Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    where we at with this Lad's I'm wanting to do a similar thing i have 6 mini drone motors and esc..
    id like to have the wind directional?
    Zed is that what you're referring to?
    also what simtools app does the Wind? i have a pro lic..
  6. Zed

Balance:
    5,834Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Hi Che,

I have the Visual Studio development environment installed and today I was going to work on putting the code into the Export.lua to see if I can make the "Extra" variables do what I want in the Tuning Center. But until we get the plugin to export to Game Dash, we may be stuck a bit - or maybe not.

Sim Tools can send the Extra variables to Arduino controllers just fine. People do it all the time for motion. I've already modified the Arduino code for wind to also allow commands for two different fans so to make this work without Game Dash. I may just need to retool the input routine to accept a data stream similar to what is used for motion and then Sim Tools just talks to a wind controller directly. Only thing is that it moves all the math into the Export.lua and means any user changes have to happen there. However, the Export.lua is already going to have a lot of (simple) math in it and if I comment it well, it may not be an issue.

Game Dash is where I want it to go though and am confident we'll get there. I'm just getting started on how plugins work and such. But it may be viable just using Sim Tools and that would open wind up more widely if I can make it work. Time will tell.

I am only planning two channels of wind, though. Right and left. That should be complicated enough but others can certainly extend it to more motors or just drive multiple motors in parallel. There are only three "Extra" variables available that I know of, anyway and it will cost two of them to have differential wind. If I can send to Game Dash, though, there are lots more available.

Definitely still working on this. Real world stuff always has a way of slowing down grand plans, though.
  7. Che Franklin

Che Franklin im alot brighter than i look.. Gold Contributor

Balance:
    593Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    ok cool
    I was thinking of using:
    Vehicle Speed/Throttle-input for wind speed. while reading steering/stick movement for ("Wind Direction")...

for instance:
    UDP Pass-thru Data "DATA"
    Say i was doing 145kph in skippy and turn left.
    the data from the steering to increase the left array of fans
    when the car/Jet straightens up or moves right it follows the steering.

you Copy? what do you think
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  8. Zed

Balance:
    5,834Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    I haven’t thought a lot about cars yet, Che, but my thought would be just speed and not throttle position. If slip angle is available, you could use that for differential wind, or with a significant surface wind and direction and car direction you can do differential wind, but in general, wind in a car is mostly from almost straight ahead. But it’s whatever people want to do.

Cheers!
    • Like Like x 1