1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Need advice for new simulator project !!!

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by stefe, Sep 15, 2008.

1. stefe

stefe New Member

Balance:
    - 30Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    OK, here we go ! First i apologize for my poor english, i am french Canadian.

I must say that i am really impressed by all the information and help in this forum. :clap: After a couple of weeks reading, i think i am ready to give a try for a motion simulator. :thbup:

I started talking of the idea to a couple of friends and they want to give it a try too. Now, with my new title as the team leader 8) i am ready to start the project. With the three of us gatering experience in different domains, automotive mechanic, computer and electronic and sales. (i must say this part is the most important since this guy have a lot of contact in industries to gather cheap parts maybe free parts.) :D

Let's talk about the project. At first a SimForceGt or a Frex system was in our minds, then Tronic's Full Motion Simulator, (i already build a kart for my kids with PVC pipes) when we saw the Team-Radical Motion Simulator we know this was the one. Like i said the difference between my kids and me, it's the price of my toys !!!!

We want to use Tronic's AMC motion-controller with PWM output to control 4 electric actuators, propably in a push-pull configuration to gain enough power and speed to move the system. (Tronicgr do you sell the PCB ?) After seeing the work of egoexpress with electric actuator, i want to go in this direction.

Guys, if you have any advice to give me, do not hesitate, fell free, right now we are gattering information and i want to start building the elctronic and test the software before starting to build the cockpit.

Please let me know of what you think, Thanks !

Stephan
  2. moderato

moderato New Member

IT Manager, Administrator
    Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi! I am curious as you go with your simulator. I am also thinking abaout a frame similar to the radical simulator. I'd like to use the actuators SCN5. Question whether they will sufficiently strong and fast for this type of frame, and whether it will be possible to handle this configuration by x-sim 2 ?????
  3. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    47,903Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,027 / 16 / -0
    First of all welcome to the forums! :cheers:

I really don’t think that the scn5 actuators would supply enough force to run a radical simulator like setup. My biggest problem with the radical simulator is how it simulates acceleration. When it simulates forward acceleration the chair moves backwards and when it simulates breaking the chair moves forward. Once the chair has moved in position the motion cues are correct but getting there the motion cues seem backwards.

It is possible that a set of scn6 actuators could work, or maybe 4 of them with 2 in the back and 2 in the front.
    Personally, I like this setup better, but no motion sim is perfect.

pretty-close-to-frex-t840.html

yobuddy
  4. moderato

moderato New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for your reply and welcome. :thbup: After the information from you I wonder what to do?? Is design a new frame with the complicatet calculations and problems with connecting new project with X-SIM - time-consuming and costly. Maybe better build RRock'n'Ride simulator - a fast solution, simple way. I'm interested in a flight simulator. 6dov sim is too complicated and expensive; SimForce GT is good only for racing games.

Do you know how to use 3d simulation (http://www.x-sim.de/3d_visualisierung.html) ???. Maybe a tutorial? If I do my own project in CAD and if I can use it in a similar manner in the X-SIM? :sos:

Thanks
  5. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    47,903Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,027 / 16 / -0
    I’d go with a Rock'n'Ride simulator type setup for sure for a 2dof simulator for flight sims. However I could not tell you what to use for motors. If you can get everything balanced right it could be that a set of scn6’s would be fine, but that’s just my speculation. The scn6’s put out about 20 kgf (~44 pounds force) so placed at the right spot on the frame I could see it working.

I’d wait to see how the scn5 testing comes along. Either way thou, whether you go with electric actuators or pneumatic cylinders you’ll probably want a rock’n’ride type of a frame.

yobuddy
  6. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Imho even the 20kgf SCN6 model wont produce enough force to move a RnR type sim. And putting a pair of SCN6 for each axis in parallel is way too expensive. And I have doubts if this would work well anyway. Even 20kgf is not much to handle mass inertia of a human body imho, even ballanced.
    A pair of SCN6 cost 800$. For that amount of money you will be able to build a complete Joyrider including motors and frame.

I'd recommend you Tronicgr' motorized Joyrider for flight sims. If you will be able to build an enclosure for it, this will be the best 2DOF flight motion simulator that you can get for a DIY budget. And it is proved to work :thbup:
    tronic-s-full-motion-car-racing-simulator-using-x-sim-t471-20.html

Regards
    Christian
  7. moderato

moderato New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    However, I decide to make similar project to the Radical Motion Simulator. Now, I am making the 3D project in CAD. How to perform such a project that could be used as a model in the x-sim simulator program?
  8. Wizzard

Wizzard Member

Balance:
    373Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I'd recommend you Tronicgr' motorized Joyrider for flight sims. If you will be able to build an enclosure for it, this will be the best 2DOF flight motion simulator that you can get for a DIY budget. And it is proved to work :thbup:

IS there any way to buy one pre-built as iam in Canada?
    Thanks