1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

My Fanatec died, should I convert it?

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by Jonatha.F, Dec 13, 2020.

1. Jonatha.F

Jonatha.F New Member

Balance:
    235Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So my trusty Fanatec CSW v1 has been my daily driver for ages but it has now decided to not start at all. PC doesn't recognize the wheel at all. I checked the pcb for burnt components but everything looks fine. All warranties etc is long gone so contacting Fanatec is pointless. So should I begin the journey to convert the fanatec base to run MMOS etc with stm32 or try to fix the pcb somehow? Any input would be much appreciated.
  2. Gadget999

Gadget999 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    11,610Coins
    Ratings:
    +458 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    See of you can fix it first

Get your multimeter out and see if its a simple fix
  3. Jonatha.F

Jonatha.F New Member

Balance:
    235Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I found the multimeter and started checking voltage with a smaller psu to begin with (12V). I found that there was almost no loss in voltage across the board all the way to the usb jack and all the other ports as well. 2 rj45 ports had one respectively 2 dead (sub 1 volt) pins. I also tested the start button pcb and the button itself works and let's power through upon click ( tested with continuity) and the leds around it also receives power but don't light up. What more can I test? I think everything gets full power, although its only 12v it didn't work before with 24v either. Could it be some type "barrier" that blocks startup? Since it doesn't even start I don't think it's corrupt firmware.
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
  4. Gadget999

Balance:
    11,610Coins
    Ratings:
    +458 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Is there any power or continuity to the motor(s)

Can you identify the motor driver / mosfet ?
  5. Jonatha.F

Jonatha.F New Member

Balance:
    235Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes, tested and motor/mosfet was fine. I do not think its something with the motor side of the board. I have now been able to get the start led on, which is good. I can do it by shortcutting the first mosfet inline from the dc jack. I short the in-pin with the middle pin or the middle pin with the last pin and the led lit up.There is a slow turn in the motors but they stall after 1-2s. But the pc still don't recognize it. Do you think its just the psu that is the cause for not recognizing on pc, big difference between 12v and 24v? I know that the motor stall because of the psu at least.
    If I remember correctly the fans only start after a while when the temp is high so the fans shouldn't spin from start?
    Do you think the mosfet is the cause of the power button not "working"?
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
  6. Gadget999

Balance:
    11,610Coins
    Ratings:
    +458 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    has one of the voltage regulators failed ? - usually 3 pins Vin - Vout - Gnd
  7. Jonatha.F

Jonatha.F New Member

Balance:
    235Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The regulator is named fdd41441. First when having black on Gnd and and red on Vin it reads 10v. With red changed to Vout it also reads 10v. When I short either Vin or Vout with Gnd the base "powers up" but no pc signal. Then when the leds are red Vin to Gnd reads 4V and Vout to Gnd reads 0V. This is with the 12V test psu. I have ordered a test psu at 24V which arrives Friday.
  8. Jonatha.F

Jonatha.F New Member

Balance:
    235Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes, tried it and so far so good. Everything seems to be working as it should. Interesting how the start button didn't work with a low voltage psu but now with the proper 24V it does. Have no idea why it shut down in the first place, but I'm happy it works.
  9. Sam Neall

Sam Neall Member

Balance:
    84Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    That’s great. I’m glad you got it working. Some boards need a minimum voltage to even turn on.