1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

My DIY 3DoF project thread

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by sebastian.gramano, Jun 23, 2021.

1. sebastian.gramano

sebastian.gramano New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    - 5Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Hi!

nice to meet you all, starting today I'll be uploading as much info about my build as possible, wish me luck!

the idea is to build a 3DoF system pitch roll and yaw, I found some lift motors here in Argentina that might work

the motors specs are 39NM 60RPM at 12V, it can do also 24V but I'll have to see how it handles the load

here are some pictures of what I'm intending to do!

photo_2021-06-23_18-03-44.jpg

Frame design:

photo_2021-06-23_18-02-46.jpg photo_2021-06-23_18-02-57.jpg photo_2021-06-23_18-03-02.jpg photo_2021-06-23_18-03-10.jpg
    • Like Like x 3
  2. djboss001

djboss001 Member

Test engineer
    Balance:
    - 34Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Hello and welcome to you!
    Your project seems to be going well, your motors will be sufficient, I have 16Nm / 48RPM on my simu and it does it well!
    Your structure will be steel and welded?
  3. sebastian.gramano

Balance:
    - 5Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Hi!

yes the structure will be steel and welded, I was thinking about aluminum but it cost a lot here where I live plus the welding equipment is also expensive.

regarding the motors I had some doubts about the RPMs when I did the SCM3 PID it tracked fine at 12v 60rpm but on very fast movements it lagged behind so I was thinking on using 24v to double the RPMs but if you experienced good results with 48rpm I think I'm overthinking the issue

here is a picture about the fast movement manual tracking, this is with no load on the motor so I imagine that with the seat on top and me the pids will have to change

fast-manual.jpg
  4. sebastian.gramano

Balance:
    - 5Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    SCMUtils test modes:

Motion: Square: Triangle:
    motion.jpg square.jpg triangle.jpg

Maybe what I see when doing fast manual movements is not about the rpm but the ramp up speed of the gearbox, it might do 60rpm but to start the movement it takes more time

Attached Files: