1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Motorised Joyrider 2DOF project. AU.

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by chappy, Aug 13, 2017.

1. chappy

chappy New Member

Balance:
    231Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, JRK
    Gday all,

Been lurking for a while and have already started my project but figured now is the time to actually start to document it a bit.

Photos will follow but will start with basic approach and choices made.

Plan is to make a 2DOF joyrider frame motorised in a similar manner to several others already done, and using references from Thanos. I was able to find an offline zip of his instructions in HTML (can provide them to others if anyone wants them)

I bought the Joyrider instructions and adapted them to my needs and to the AU measurements and materials available.

Some of the differences between joyrider/thanos setup are;
    No monitor mount required as the platform will be used in VR
    Slightly wider frame to allow a bit more space in the seat.
    No central joystick frame.
    Using a proper car seat in the frame. (auto technica)
    Added a foot platform to hold a set of rudder pedals.
    2x clamp on monitor arms (adjustable) to hold HOTAS.
    (these babies which have already had extensive use on my office chair are pretty flexible in how you mount them and where you move them to .
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LCDPMT-TA-Pulse-Bracket-Pole-Mount-Double-Arm-/362030301525?)

Motors:
    I plan to use worm drives from Motion dynamics
    originally i was going to use a 55rpm higher torque worm drive but it looks like these are popular on this forum

https://www.motiondynamics.com.au/worm-drive-motor-12v-24v-200w-180-rpm-20nm-torque.html
    with higher RPM and still 20nm i think it will suffice. The motiondynamics site mentions they dont have good holding torque when at rest but if the motor is powered and JRK is on, they will 'hold' position simply through return to target position in the software ... i think.. confirm?

timing belt pulleys and timing belt attached directly to the frame on each axis to drive the frame movement.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5M-HTD5M...m-Bore-16mm-width-Stepper-Motor-/262168370797
    I'm thinking this is best as they have good strength and will slip less than say v belts or just plain plastic coated wire which also needs re-tensioning apparently.

hall effect pots will be inside the axis gimbals rather than attached to the motor shafts as motors are likely going to have to revolve 4-5 times for full motion. from what i understand this is likely a deal breaker in terms of getting proper feedback. so the 45deg range of motion of the gimbals is where that feedback will need to come from.
    currently i own 2x 180degree pots and will try them first. if i need better resolution i will go with a 60degree pot instead perhaps. thoughts?

i intend to use JRK12v12 controllers and obviously Simtools, which i have already purchased to support the dev and the site.

power will come from some Dell PSUs
    DELL N750P-S0 (NPS-750BB A)
    I've modded them according to a thread on this forum. and with the assistance of
    http://pinoutguide.com/Power/dell_server_24_6_psu_pinout.shtml

they're wired for one psu to each worm drive, they will also run some 5v fans on the little box that contains the JRKs and the PS KILL pins will be wired to some switches mounted on the frame itself for quick switch off.

As mentioned this is to be used with VR.
    I noted on the forums there is already an app for canceling out motion platform movement with the use of a controller. so intend to rely on this to set up the vr
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  2. chappy

chappy New Member

Balance:
    231Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, JRK
    edit: the forum ate half my post and forced me to remove links to the items im using. will update when able according to the rules about spam.
  3. chappy

chappy New Member

Balance:
    231Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, JRK
    reserved for updates
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2017