1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question Motor Operation Mode

Discussion in 'Motor actuators and drivers' started by My.stAr, Aug 1, 2017.

1. My.stAr

My.stAr Active Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    1,064Coins
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    Hey guys,

does anyone of you care about the Motor Operation mode (DIN VDE 0530), when you look for a Motor? Or do you just take what you find?! That should usually be S1 and S3.

info link

Is there another problem than the heat generation, if you use a S1 Motor for a Motion sim? As far as i can assess we should use S9 Motors, shouln't we? I talked to a Motor manufacturer and he said that if i take a S1 Motor it will reduce the life Duration but it will work...

So, does anyone care about the motor operatoin mode? :think
  2. ferslash

ferslash Active Member

Balance:
    4,798Coins
    Ratings:
    +181 / 2 / -0
    i dont even know what is that... what is that?
    fer
  3. My.stAr

My.stAr Active Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    1,064Coins
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    For every different use in industry, a motor has a different torque and power. So the "motor operation mode" exists, that you can choose a proper motor for the intended use.
    Here is the description from the link above with some pics from wiki: (upper graph is torque, the lower is power)

S1 operating mode (continuous duty)
    Operation with constant loading of unlimited duration during which the thermal steady state of the motor is reached.
    [​IMG]

S2 operating mode, short-time duty
    Operation with constant loading without the thermal steady state being reached and with a subsequent pause during which the motor temperature drops to the temperature of the cooling medium.
    [​IMG]

S3 operating mode, periodic intermittent duty
    A sequence of identical cycles without a thermal steady state being reached. Each cycle is composed of a time with constant loading and a pause. The starting current has practically no effect on the increase in temperature. The cycle must last 10 min and the relative cyclic duration factor must have one of the following values:
    15%, 25%, 40%, 60%.
    [​IMG]

S4 operating mode, periodic intermittent duty with influence of the start-up process
    A sequence of identical cycles without a thermal steady state being reached. Each cycle is composed of a noticeable starting time, a time with constant loading and a pause. The cycle must last 10 min and the relative cyclic duration factor must have one of the following values:
    15%, 25%, 40%, 60%.
    [​IMG]

S5 operating mode, periodic intermittent duty with electrical braking
    A sequence of identical cycles without a thermal steady state being reached.
    Each cycle is composed of a noticeable starting time, a time with constant loading, a time of rapid electrical braking and a pause. The cycle must last 10 min and the relative cyclic duration factor must have one of the following values:
    15%, 25%, 40%, 60%.
    [​IMG]

S6 operating mode, uninterrupted periodic duty
    A sequence of identical cycles without a thermal steady state being reached. Each cycle is composed of a starting time, a time with constant loading and a no-load operating time. There is no pause. The cycle must last 10 min and the relative cyclic duration factor must have one of the following values:
    15%, 25%, 40%, 60%.
    [​IMG]

S7 operating mode, uninterrupted periodic duty with electrical braking
    A sequence of identical cycles without a thermal steady state being reached. Each cycle is composed of a starting time, a time with constant loading and a time with electrical braking. There is no pause. The cycle must last 10 min.
    [​IMG]

S8 operating mode, uninterrupted periodic duty with load/speed changes
    A sequence of identical cycles without a thermal steady state being reached. Each cycle is composed of a time with constant loading and a particular speed and one ore more times with other loadings at different speeds. There is no pause. The cycle must last 10 min and the relative cyclic duration factor must have one of the following values:
    15%, 25%, 40%, 60%.
    [​IMG]

S9 operating mode, non-periodic duty with load/speed changes
    Loading and speed change non-periodically within the permissible operating range. Overloading which can be far above full load can often occur.
    [​IMG]

S10 operating mode, duty with discrete constant loads
    Operating mode that does not include more than four particular load values, wherein no-load operation and being at rest can be included. A thermal steady state is reached under each of the loads (even no-load operation and being at rest). The maximum loading must not exceed 1.2 times the S1 loading.
    (no pic)

I looked for lots of motors. Most of them had the info for S1 and/or S3 mode or nothing (usually that should be for S1 Operation). You can find it in the description of the Motors;)

The "problem" is: a motion simulator doesn't have a constant (S1) or periodic (s3) load profile. It's more like S9 with non-periodic duty and speed and load changes. But i didn't find a Motor for S9 yet. I talked to some manufaturers and they had no extra motor for S9 operation modeo_O

And all i want to know is: Is the operation mode important? I mean if i have a bidirectional motor and i use a resistor or a battery to absorb energy during braking and the motors are strong enough to lift the weight... the only thing i have to consider is the heat production of the motor? Is that correct? Or is there more behind the operation modes?:sos