1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Motherboard fried

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by jem45472, May 30, 2014.

1. jem45472

jem45472 Active Member

Balance:
    97Coins
    Ratings:
    +95 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Well my mother board went out on me, time for an upgrade.

Thoughts?
    Here's what I'm looking at.
    http://m.ebay.com/itm/351055802304?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVE

I have read a 2500k can easily be oc'd to 4-4.6 clock speed.
  2. ferslash

ferslash Active Member

Balance:
    4,798Coins
    Ratings:
    +180 / 2 / -0
    Over clocking seams risky ... And hard to achieve ...

Let us know what you do... Maybe i follow your steps :/)

On the other hand talking about speeding a pc i had a grate experience using ssd in old pcs.. give it a tray

Fer
  3. jem45472

jem45472 Active Member

Balance:
    97Coins
    Ratings:
    +95 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    A 2500k processor has an unlocked multiplier. It's one of the best gaming processors for this reason. Very easy overclocking, and runs cool.
  4. jem45472

jem45472 Active Member

Balance:
    97Coins
    Ratings:
    +95 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    I am also thinking of ssd, still a little pricey though.
  5. M1shap

M1shap New Member

Balance:
    458Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    I have a 2500k &o\c'd it to 4.5 stable. it's a beast for the price & personally I am more than happy with it for games. just need to make sure you have a decent after market cooler & good air flow through your tower as the std cooler won't do it.
    ssd for operating system, decent hdd for for games. (unless you want to load a little quicker).
    • Like Like x 1
  6. jem45472

jem45472 Active Member

Balance:
    97Coins
    Ratings:
    +95 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Did you have to mess with voltage for 4.5?
  7. M1shap

M1shap New Member

Balance:
    458Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Yeah it was as simple as going into bios & changing multiplier to 45. 45=4.5ghz then I stress tested it for 12hrs using prime 95 & kept an eye on it with real temp. best to work up to it though start small & increment up till it fails then wind back clock. not all cpu's are the same some clock higher some lower. it's just how they are
  8. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,390Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    Im running an AMDx8 3.9 , no need to OC but will reach that comfortably, 32 gig of ram and 2g video.
    That's enough to run any of my racing games, flat out and on Ultra graphic settings.
    Only draw back is the Sata3 HDD , SDD way to expensive here, I will wait till they drop in price.
  9. cthiggin

cthiggin Active Member

Self-Employed
    Balance:
    15,209Coins
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Hello folks,
    I've built quite a few pc's and overclocked for the past 10 years.
    Just built a new one with 4820K Intel
    I will NOT oc' without liquid cooling - I've been using the Corsair H-105 series - about a 100.00 (several versions start at 69.00 us) - then oc'ing is a done deal on the heat issues.
    If you've never overclocked before, there are many youtube videos that show you how and many will have the CPU you are going to use.

Tom
  10. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    47,903Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,027 / 16 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  11. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    For sim use, I would be surprised if overclocking the CPU even makes a difference.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. BlazinH

BlazinH Well-Known Member

Balance:
    16,568Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    I use a 2500k on a Republic of Gamers Maximus IV Extreme-Z motherboard. I had it overclocked at 5.0ghz (on water) for about a year but then had to back it off to 4.9 because I started experiencing BSD screens. But I agree probably not really need for most titles. 3ghz is pretty good for most. I built it for FSX though which requires every bit of GHZ you can through at it!
  13. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    The i5 2500k seems to be a very popular chip, I too use it in my simpit.
  14. cthiggin

cthiggin Active Member

Self-Employed
    Balance:
    15,209Coins
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Guys,
    I'm sure we don't need a "screamer" for most racing sim titles, but a good gpu really helps.
    Like BlazinH, IF you're into flight simming also, FSX or Prepar3D, CPU horsepower is where it's at...along with P3d now shifting some of the load to the GPU, a high end GPU is very necessary.
    Like I said earlier - "me" would not oc without being on liquid cooling.............even the 69.95 Corsair does a very good job - and it's installation is very simplistic. Been there with the "Turbo Towers" air cooling
    for CPU and several others, and they just cannot cut it in comparison with todays' low prices of liquid cooling. My first liquid cooling was a Swiftec setup..............took me ALL day to modify and install and cost over 300.00 US - that was about 8 years ago......

In any event, Good luck on your purchase and build.

Tom
  15. BlazinH

Balance:
    16,568Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    I agree with you Tom! A high end GPU is as important if not more so than a super fast CPU. I had been using a GTX 460 and thought everything was great. But then I wanted to try a triple screen setup that the 460 just cant do. So I upgraded to a GTX 770. Wow! I thought the graphics looked good before because I didn't know what I was missing!

I hope your sim is coming along well and about ready for the electronics fun @cthiggin !
  16. cthiggin

cthiggin Active Member

Self-Employed
    Balance:
    15,209Coins
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hello........................BlazinH,
    Good to hear from you friend. About finished with all my "mechanical" on 3dof -
    Been "down" due to my Mom (up north) having a terminal illness - been to see her - 650 miles away....just tough man!!!!!!

I bought the Evga 770 Classified Oc'd - WOW - thought my 570 Classified was good..........just no comparison.....

Stay in touch friend.

Tom
  17. BlazinH

Balance:
    16,568Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    Yes! It is tough as I have been down that road already myself so I know how hard it can be.

But it is good to hear that you are about ready to tackle the electronics for your sim! Although I don't know much about setting up an AC system, I'm still here to help you in any way that I can though!
  18. cthiggin

cthiggin Active Member

Self-Employed
    Balance:
    15,209Coins
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hello again BlazinH,
    About the "only" things left mechanically: Place my custom spring and anchor / fabricate a holder for my 3 pots and anchor - then all that is left "of the build" is electronics....
    Speedy and yobuddy are helping me out there....so, very close.

Still have to finish my new pc build....just trying to find the time as my business is "on fire" right now....
    and my priority is my Mom.....don't care how blessed of a life one has had, you cannot go through life without pain and heartache....."they say" it makes you grow and become stronger,
    but what a price to pay for 'that' strength. Thanks for your thoughts.

Stay in touch my friend.

Have a most blessed one, to all.

Tom
    • Like Like x 1
  19. BlazinH

Balance:
    16,568Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    Terrific! :thumbs Sounds like you're in good hands then! And things just "lit up" even more here a couple of months ago too! :sos
  20. cthiggin

cthiggin Active Member

Self-Employed
    Balance:
    15,209Coins
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    BlazinH,
    Yes, it's been about two months since I've pm'd youbuddy & speedy......GLAD I will have waited for the mechanical to be DONE - before tackling the electronics - which is my weakest area.
    I'll be able to give 110% to the electronics build and not have to worry about springs & heims & all the other mechanical build.

Your reference to "things just lit up" a couple of months ago....brief me...as I'm not on the same page with you friend....

Thanks and have enjoyed our latest communications.

Tom