1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Mickelmeck's Joyride

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by mickelmeck, Aug 22, 2011.

1. mickelmeck

mickelmeck New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello

After a few weeks of look around on the site, i decided to be a member
    I will post my progress here on my Joyrider project that i hope i can get motorized

So my first problem is the pipe parts, any advice to get the pipe parts
    Here in sweden a 2 elbow cost about 3€ /4$

Any good webshop anywhere?
  2. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  3. mickelmeck

mickelmeck New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    When i looked on the web ladt night i found a waterpool company that had great prices on the pipes and fittings so insted of pay 450 € i just pay 210 € for all of them

So now i just waiting to get it home so i can start to build the frame :)
    So now i must try to understand the electrics of the wipermotors or the dc motors

What should i have witch of them are the best to use for the motion?
  4. mickelmeck

mickelmeck New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Maby i should tell about my progress.

The frame:

I havent had the luck on my side yet. I found a good site to order my pipes. But it was a long delivery time. When they should ship my pipes the ran over them with a forklift. So now i am delayed a few more days for my building parts.

On the electrical side it slowly has gone forward , i havent maked any electrical things seens high school so i am like a newbe again. But after som studey i begin to remember more and more. First i thinked to use the popou controller. But after som research i decided to make the AVRC & DSMhb controller cards. Now i have ordered almost all parts to it so it's just fore me to sit and wait wait and wait.
  5. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    These controllers are good http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1393 , several guys including myself use them, one per motor, they will crank up to 30amps peak. I run mine at 22.5amps with cooling on them, they are easy to setup, just 7 wires and a usb cable. There are details of these here on this site.
    Cheers, David.
  6. mickelmeck

mickelmeck New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    For a while ago i thinked that i need a sport seat in my simulator. I went out on the net and found 2 offshore boat seats in fiber glass. The deal was okey he only needed to send them to me. But now he wont send them to me. So i decided to make my own fiberglass seat instead :)

Now starts my project for real

[​IMG]
    3D Model of the seat

[​IMG]
    106 A4 printed, redy to cut out

[​IMG]
    One example on the pices

[​IMG]
    Först pice cuted out and assembled

Now have the pipes arived so i start to build the frame to the joyrider. It is only some small
    Things to do now then its finised. It taked me 10 hours to assemble

[​IMG]
    Alot of pipe fittings

[​IMG]
    One of the side is finished, maked the first misstake here on the elbow ;)

[​IMG]
    The STRENGTHENING is ready on the secound pice

[​IMG]
    The frame is finnished

[​IMG]
    Begined to make the inner frame

[​IMG]
    Inner frame is attached on the frame and it can rotate 360 degress
  7. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  8. mickelmeck

mickelmeck New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Not the best chsir but it is just a moldframe ;)

[​IMG]
    Wraped in a dumpsterbag so it is easy to pull it out from the mold frame

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first 3 layers of fiberglass is finished. So now it shall harden and after that i need to make some more layers
  9. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    looking good there! You are handy chap with the glass
  10. mickelmeck

mickelmeck New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Now it has the project take a big step forward, I have completed the whole frame with the chair.
    So now is it only the two wiper motors need to be buyed and attached :) but the frame is finished

Have begin to look on the fake skin for the seat now. I am not so good to sew but i did my best. And i was really happy with the result :)

Have get my pcb card now to so maby i yhink you want to see them
    here is the project images

[​IMG]
    Back of the seat

[​IMG]
    Some fakeskin cuted out to fit the seat

[​IMG]
    How does this thing work ;)

[​IMG]
    Ready to sew

[​IMG]
    Fitting the seat into the frame with bolts

[​IMG]
    All in place

[​IMG]
    Last the pcb card :) but i see som unfinished parts of the card. I have to fix that. But they wasent finnished in the temålate eather. Werry strange but i think i can fix it with my dremmel
  11. jay_in_cgohio

jay_in_cgohio New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Looking good. I will be following your progress closely as it is what I am wanting to build with the exception I will be using it for flight.
  12. mickelmeck

mickelmeck New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the great respons :) this is my test build if this will work a i plan i maby build a 4 dof later. But this is a good simulator to start with. I just waiting on my electrical components now. And i maby will order a pololu motor controllcard. So i can start to runt testing faster :)

If you have any questions i will be glad to answer them :)
  13. mickelmeck

mickelmeck New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I thinking that i want to buy a electrical dc motor instead of a wiper motor
    Is this motor okey?

Electric Gear Motor 12v Low Speed 50 RPM Gearmotor DC
    Rated Voltage:  13.5 VDC
    Rated Speed:  50 RPM
    Rated Load:  60 Watts
    Rated Torque:  11.5 N-m (8.5 ft-lb)
    Mounting:  M6 screw holes
    Shaft:  10mm shaft with 2 flats where flat to flat is 6.6mm and threaded end to fit a M6 tightening nut.

You already know where i should use them :)
  14. mickelmeck

mickelmeck New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have now ordered a miniprojector for my screen setup. After i were lost in the jungle of elctrical devices just i just ran over a perfect match by a coincidence.

It was the 3M MP180 brand new for just 300$, so i think i maked a good deal here because in other webshops in sweden it coast almost 490$ :) hopfully i will come in my mail today or tomorow

I am thinking on some ideas to make it to my screen but i have to make some testing before i decide witch way i will go. I am not realy shure how to attach it yet. But i have a real crazy idea :)
  15. mickelmeck

mickelmeck New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Now i got the projector :D
    [​IMG]

Here i am projecting on my wall projection distance is 3m almost 10 feet
    It is a okey resolution but i will us it on a shorter distance :) and it wasent completly dark in the room eather. it is just my phones camera that suck donkey balls :D
    [​IMG]

And tomorow i will order my electical components for the pcb boards
  16. mickelmeck

mickelmeck New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hey there

i have som bad news and som good news.

the bad news is that i tried to make some weight testing on the joyrider, it was not a bright ide, i almost broke my pipes on the inner frame

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Wdl6r6J6HE&NR=1
    it sounds terribel on the movie

the good news is that i have reinforced with steel pipes on the sides so now i think i can lift a car with it :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxrbR6lQ57Y
    i just play around in the joyrider :p

and i have worked on another test project a dome that i can project on :)
    it is not the nicest things i have made but it is just a prototype made from old magazines and tape, i am planing to attach some white textil to project on later.

[​IMG]
    half of the dome is taped and rolled

[​IMG]
    it is finnished and moved to the garage

[​IMG]
    Attached to the frame, the frame is 220x220 cm 89x89 inch. it is just rofly attached now but i will fix this later, tomorrow i will attach some more string so it will be more round in the shape. , now it just look like hell

i didn't think the project should be so big, my girlfriend just go up to flames when she saw it, almost so i had to sleep in the garage this night ;)
    maby i will begin to cover it with the textil tomorrow
  17. mickelmeck

mickelmeck New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Today i get a real kick in my ass, when i went out to my garage my dome had colapsed :( So in my desperation i went to a hardware store and buyed a bunch of electrical plastic pipes. So now it will need a smaller earthquake to destroy my frame   Here is a image and youtube movie on my dome frame version 2  [​IMG] 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd0pVJsTunk&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
  18. mickelmeck

mickelmeck New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi After a short break, I will now with some pictures. Has been a bit short on time to the project lately, so it has a little fiddling with the sentence I am building but now they have a prototype that can be improved so here is some progression pictures. However, I am considering to build on the framework and put 12 branches and put the cloth in a different way so you do not get all the wrinkles:)

Dome
    [​IMG]

Computer Screen
    [​IMG]

Dome
    [​IMG]

Computer Screen
    [​IMG]

Picture without distortion
    [​IMG]

Should be added that I did not set any angle, but I have only set up things a bit temporary, so the end result Will be something completely different:)
  19. mickelmeck

mickelmeck New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey
    atlast i have a maked a step forward :) so now i have been makeing my controller cards :)

[​IMG]
    Here is the second set of the pcb cards, the first card i hade some problems with so that was a crap :p

[​IMG]
    Here i have begined to make it ;)

[​IMG]
    A almost finished card but i need to go to the local electric parts shop and get some 3pin connectors and a 8 pin conector that broke fore me :) the hbrigde is almost done. I only ned some bridge wiring to do :)