1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Making a static sim move

Discussion in 'New users start here - FAQ' started by st8smn, Jul 8, 2013.

1. st8smn

st8smn New Member

boilermaker
    Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi all, im researching motion platforms and other desings to try and put some 'cheap' movement into my static sim.
    I desinged my racing sim without the thought of motion and fabricated the whole thing out of 25mmx25mmx3mm gal shs and 3mm gal sheet so she's a bit heavy (77kg).

Thats 155kg with me but without the triple screen+ frame i plan to use ,so it's safe to say i want to move 200ish kg depending on who's sitting in it.

this will be mounted on a uni joint at the COG and probably have trampoline springs to return to center

I'm not to sure what motors to choose because i'm worried about weight.

So i'll ask the people that know first hand:

Will this worm drive be enough to move 200+kg with a 100mm lever to get a rough 100mm travel either direction and still be 'snappy' ?
    http://www.motiondynamics.com.au/worm-d ... orque.html

If so i'll start with a 2dof and add a 3rd at a later date

I'm a boilermaker so fabrication is no worries i own a mig,tig and stick welder and like to use it. Electricals do worry me :eek: but i sure i can find the help i'll need around these forums

cheers,
    Travis
  2. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,398Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    Gday Travis,

No don't think they will move 200kg, me I built a static sim from pvc pipe as something different and custom built a seat mover to replace the seat, not bad once up and running.
    Electrics, yes most of the stuff in the forum, and I live near by, cause I don't mind building them or helping you out with them, Im a bodybuilder by trade, and this is my 9th build.

Robbie
  3. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello Travis and welcome.

as your current ride is fairly heavy, maybe a properly balanced point, and 12v boat winch motors to move it as a 2DOF .
    Do you have more photos of the current sim you can post?
    12v big worm gears might, but I reckon a lighter frame might be needed.
    And the Pololu JRK for 12v use it the simple beast to use http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1393 , it will handle 14v at 30 amps continuous all day. One per motor.
    Still, Rob is local to you, go pay him a visit.

Cheers, David.
  4. st8smn

st8smn New Member

boilermaker
    Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi guys :D

thanks for the fast reply.
    I've only just moved here from QLD for work and dont know anyone over this end.
    hmmm well if this motor will struggle to give any compromise to fluid motion i think i might take the conservative approach and get one single motor\wormdrive
    and make a traction loss system on roller bearings , just to figure out how it all works with the PC and pots ect then make a platform+ new alloy rig later on.

I'm not too sure how to post small pics so i'll put some up the only way i know how and change them once advised
    Specs of rig in sig

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thats with the buttkicker amp and yamaha 5.1 amp mounted onboard.
    It works well enough but i cant for the life of me figure out how to setup the buttkicker with x sim , at the moment i just have a splitter on the sub output on the yamaha amp. I can build a water cooled gaming PC and a sim rig but no idea what to do with x sim :sos:

i'll be sure to contact rob in the near future.

all of this is limited to what i can do at home with the things around me for now as im finding it hard to find a job and $$ is a big issue right now.

cheers,

Travis
  5. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,398Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    OK you need to pop around to have a look at my seat mover, what I would recommend is a seat mover and place a drift frame underneath. I have access too a workshop with migs and benders and all sorts be happy to help you along. Yes jobs here in WA are a little thin because we have been flooded by new comers, oh well you shouldn't be out of work for long mate.

Contact me via Skype if ya like Im on every night from there we can start sorting out ya sim.
    And I don't charge for me help either , the buzz from seeing somebodies dreams come to life is more than enough payment for me.

Skype - live:netnutters plus email linked here i do check daily too.

What games do you use, and x-sim is no longer used here mate. There is new software in private beta at the moment and when ya pop over I can demo it for you, and once you have a running sim ready for software, You will be able to apply to become a beta tester.
  6. value1

value1 Nerd SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Balance:
    14,498Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,319 / 11 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, Joyrider
    Hi Travis
    I wasn't aware, that you're driving on the wrong side of the road in Australia – but of course, British Empire :D
    Anyway, I have a likewise heavy rig (see here) and am moving the whole thing with winches. Due to the high gear ratio (1:420) they are capable of doing so.
    Key for you is to strip off the moving platform everything which doesn't need to move (sub-woover for example) and balance it carefully when attaching to a u-joint.
    Luckily with eaorobbie you have a great expert at your hand ;-)
  7. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Wrong side of the road?! Ha ! Just to throw a spanner in the works, I have 2 sims, one right hand sequential shift and one left hand 6 speed shift. I have to remember that swapping between simulators. :mug1:
    But as said, Rob is your best bet over that side of the world. It would be nice if I could afford to hop in a plane and go see him, even though I am in Sydney. :brows:
  8. mario318i

mario318i New Member

Balance:
    88Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, JRK
    Hi!

i`ve to say .... 200kg is very much!

First of all, you dont need to move your PC + Subwoofer + Amps, this things need to be mounted on the static rig.

Well, i`m also moving very much weight (very stabil rig, TV, plus driver) and it rocks at 75mm lever. BUT here is terminus.

They move fast, hard and precise. I also use springs so help centering. (I know, Robbie and Dave do disagree)

It works fine for me, so i do it that way ........ 8)

regards mario
  9. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yo Mario, you have proved me wrong with the use of springs, :clap: but it should be more a last resort. 8)
    But yes, strip the platform down to bare bones for sure, loose the sub, amps and pc sitting on it.
    You may not need a new sim rig, just lighten yours up.
  10. st8smn

st8smn New Member

boilermaker
    Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hey guys ,

Its been a few weeks since I last posted and I have been a bit busy modifying my static sim to trim some fat
    to see if I can get it down to a reasonable weight in an attempt to use this sim for a motion setup instead of starting from scratch.

So before I started trimming it weighed 77ish kg on a crappy old set of bathroom scales so +\- 3kg I recon.
    I also jumped on the scales and to my dismay im the heaviest I've ever been :( 95kg ,looks like i'll be trimming some fat too.

I think the redesign is a lot more practical although I have nowhere to put my screen in the meantime :?

so without further ado

[​IMG]

All amps\speakers removed , whole backend removed and a major frontend redesign.

The weight loss program (lol) has my sim now sitting at 40kg+\-3 with all the gear on it, so effectively i'v halved the overall weight and will only need to move 130kg-150kg hopefully less once I get my ass into gear and loose a bit myself lol.

[​IMG]

All of the red electrical tape is only temporary and will be replaced with zip ties once fabrication is complete and rather than add more weight with a triple screen setup i'm considering the possibility of using an Occulus rift ,maby helmet mounted ? hhhmmmmmm
    My tax return is on the way and im hoping on having enough to buy some bits for this and the CNC router project I have going.

so do you think I have a chance of using the worm drives linked in the OP now ?
    or do I still need to do some serious physical training to shed some more kg's myself ?

Cheers,
    Travis
  11. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yep, that will work.
    Either build a big t-bar at the back of the seat and move it from the shoulders at rear (better option overall for moving a frame, but takes up space), or mount motors towards the feet underneath (more compact).
  12. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,398Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Well, well, the fat is trimmed, as value1 stated its now time to find the balance point for the rig. Need to mount the screen and driver, place something like a broom stick under it and have a friend push you forwards and backward till you find the exact longitudinal balance point on the base. This will show you where the uni joints centre needs to be to achieve a balanced design, as in the point where the force that's needed to pitch forwards is equal to the force need to pitch backward. I would strongly recommend that you mount the motors push rods to the shoulders on a T Bar to help with the weight, mounting them higher (greatly) form the pivot points centre will majorly decrease the force that is required to hold lever/push the sim. Simple physics of leverage.

So cut to the chase, you are on the right track , Well done, time to move on and build a base, buy some electrics and join in the fun.