1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question Looking for the best and most real (affordable) Airbus H145 heli sim motion platform

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Pit, Aug 17, 2021.

1. Pit

Pit - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Gold Contributor

Balance:
    30,409Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Hi folks, as a few of the older members know, I am a veteran in building racing sims, my first attempts happened in 2013. The last 3 years I had a lot of other projects to follow. Now it's time to come back for a new project. :)

Since I am a helicopter enthusiast, but now too old for the PPL (which also costs a lot of money) I intend to go further by building/buying the most real helicopter simulation platform possible (as long I can afford it lol).

Novasim seems to offer a perfect package for professional pilots NOVASIM VR | MR - BRUNNER (brunner-innovation.swiss)) but is very pricy on the other hand - more than 100'000.- Swiss Francs are not a steal at the first view. Admittedly the newest development is very promising. They developed a complete new platform, also they use the VARJO headset (very expensive) in combination with real panels of the heli, all control units offer FF. Interesting is the motion cueing algorithm to eliminate simulator sickness and the additional seat shaker using "Vibration Cueing". "Unfortunately" for a helicopter the yaw is a bit limited on the NVOASIM VR motion platform, a 360° turning motion platform would be more real IMO than a washout filter (I hate washout filters to be precise).

Any other helicopter enthusiasts out there? Would you like to share your experiences? I fear, I will fail with a DIY project when it comes to build a real copy of the H145 (not a copy of the simulation platform NOVASIM, just a 6DOF inspired by this kind of platform)

@noorbeast a short note about commercials and DYI projects, I know there is a forum for commercials but as I plan to build something similar so I hope this thread is not clashing against the forum rules.

Regads
    Pit
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
  2. RaceRay

RaceRay Administrator Staff Member SimAxe Beta Tester

Self-employed | Web and application development
    Balance:
    23,837Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,958 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, SimforceGT
    Welcome back @Pit. Good to see you again. Now as the end of summer is nearing it's the perfect time for a new build:)
    I am watching this thread here and hope other enthusiasts will share their experience. The novasim looks awesome. Congrats to the swiss engineers in case they read that. For 100k you'll get a used Schweizer 300C (Hughes 300C) so indeed that amount is over most of our budgets for a simulator:D
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Pit

Pit - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Gold Contributor

Balance:
    30,409Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Dear RaceRay, thank you for the cordial welcome, as you know I have never been absent ;), just too busy with life, work, children etc. And yes, summer comes to the end and autumn/winter is a great period for tinkering and soldering. NTL I am really impressed by the Novasim rig, obviously they did all right to build something for professionals at lower cost. Not so cheap the rig from vrm-switzerland.ch, also a Swiss manufacturer as you can imagine, EASA qualified a type-specific Robinson R22 Virtual Reality Training Device developed and built by VRM Switzerland. Their A145 rig costs about 850'000.- CHF, certified notabene. I asked for an offer without certification but the price is waaaaaay above my pay grade :D.
  4. rippler

rippler New Member

Balance:
    26Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Pit, Long time lurker first time poster.

I too am really keen on building a 6dof platform for a heli sim. In my research, I have come across several NASA papers that have looked at yaw in a helicopter motion simulator specifically. It turns out that rotation or yaw in a helicopter sim platform has almost no affect on pilot performance, and furthermore is usually imperceptible. It turns out sway (translational affect) is far more important when adding simulating "helicopter yaw". See "Helicopter Flight Simulation Motion Platform Requirements" on the NASA website, and also attached below, page 15-19.

Attached Files: