1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Limiting axis travel

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by Jugle, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Jugle

Jugle New Member

Bored Witless
    Balance:
    43Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, JRK, Joyrider
    Hello all,

I have the Joyrider all rigged and running with JRKs (thanks heaps to everyone particularly eaorobbie, whose contributions here are legendary!), and I have Simtools running and am at the stage where I am sorting out the travel of both axes.

Using Game Engine, I've managed to get nice smooth movement, but so far I've been unable to get either pitch or roll in anything other than one direction and can't stop the travel. Testing just runs the motors till the pushrod arms hit their physical stops.

Am I missing something? Do I need to choose a particular game plugin and run that? I wanted to experiment first.
  2. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    did you try changing numbers in the tuning centre?
    Bigger number, less travel, smaller number, more travel.
    Did you set the feedback correctly for the pots in jrks?
  3. Jugle

Jugle New Member

Bored Witless
    Balance:
    43Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, JRK, Joyrider
    Thanks bsft but nothing seems to alter in the tuning centre. Yep the feedback is set up correctly.

This is a flight sim, using X-Plane 9. I downloaded the plugin tried to set it up as per the guide here, but even just starting the program sets the motors going and pushes them to the stops.

I really need to see an example of how others have set up Simtools for a joyrider for flight.
  4. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  5. Jugle

Jugle New Member

Bored Witless
    Balance:
    43Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, JRK, Joyrider
    Thanks for this, very comprehensive. I'll go through and see if I can sort it out.
  6. Jugle

Jugle New Member

Bored Witless
    Balance:
    43Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, JRK, Joyrider
    Still grappling with this. Can anyone tell me, should I be able to set the limits of motor travel purely in the JRK utility?

I've disconnected the pushrods while I sort this, seems no matter what I change or how carefully I calibrate, they just roll on endlessly till I hit the "stop motor" button. I was under the impression I could set the limits in either direction before I even got into Simtools.
  7. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ok, I take it you have set the max/min feedback settings in JRK utility.
    Setting actual travel limits is done in the utility, not simtools
    Simtools si for setting the actual force and the percentage related to the force
    Heres some videos I did ages ago.

If the motor spins around to the other side or keeps spinning, try inverting feedback and or motor direction in the utility program.
    Check and re-check till it moves right in the slider bar of the INPUT tab.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Jugle

Jugle New Member

Bored Witless
    Balance:
    43Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, JRK, Joyrider
    Thanks bsft, however I must confess to my mistake, had the jrks connected to the auxiliary header instead of feedback. Duh! All this mucking around and finally twigged.

I remember reading about that somewhere along the line and I recall I was getting no response from them initially so connected them in that way.

Apologies for giving you and others the runaround. I'll press on.
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1