1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Lexus simulator

Discussion in 'Off Topic - All other stuff here' started by dhweizel, Oct 25, 2010.

1. dhweizel

dhweizel New Member

Balance:
    339Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The video says for make a simulator there is no expert to consult , Lexus could ask in the x-sim forum :rofl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGZIztjoHb8
  2. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    That's right!

They better put some fast moving actuators within the car to get more detailed feelings.
    Those slow movements can only reproduce my grandma driving. Put that sim on a racetrack with an open wheeler and you won't feel the kerbs...

Apart from that, I'm pretty sure the G-Forces and the immersion feel amazing!!!
  3. Deleted member 4120

Deleted member 4120

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    wow its very nice!!!
  4. fredspeed

fredspeed New Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hm... With the slow motions they show here I am thinking about making a copy of it,,, with vipermotors!... Inside the barn! (Just for som relaxing cruising on sundays ;D

btw: The rails...What happens if you accelerate and the sim moves to the end of the rails,,, and then you stop the car. When you accelerate again the sim first need time to return before it gives this dof again. I guess there is a lot of red lights in that city 8)
  5. CXCSimulations

CXCSimulations Member

Balance:
    - 9Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think this simulator is pretty interesting. For the cars they are simulating, it doesn't need to be that responsive. These street cars cannot change direction like race cars. The only forces this simulator cannot reproduce accurately would be a severe accident (which I'm sure they don't care about)

I think a combination of washout filters on the rail system in combination with the hexapod maneuvering could overcome this reasonably well.

Again, this is a street car simulator. Street cars don't continue to accelerate for extremely long periods of time (in amounts that would require more than the hexapod tilting). Sustained, high-g cornering may be a slight issue I suppose.
  6. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    And more importantly road detail. It might not be simulating high speed races but if you think about it, there are a lot more bumps and different obstacles on public roads than in a sterile racing environment.

The simulator cannot simulate crossings at train tracks, gravel roads, roads under construction, roads with damaged surface, curbs, etc...

They don't show the inside of the car in the video, but I'm pretty sure they would be more than delighted to brag about an extra seat mover in there. :)
  7. CXCSimulations

CXCSimulations Member

Balance:
    - 9Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You'd be surprised how many of those sensations get completely filtered out by modern luxury suspension systems in real life. Some do make it though but not much. I've even driven a modern Lexus on a race track, and there is not much there in the way of feedback. A severe curb hit was about it. I think the one exception was the ISF, that had a bit more sporty suspension, but still very luxury (read - disconnected) feel.

I think the whole concept is to literally bolt a complete, factory-stock car into the simulator to keep it modular. I think it might even be possible to plug the simulator into the cars computer to get all the control positions and even generate force feedback using the car's electric power steering system.

Modifications like seat movers and other feedback devices might not be welcome in this type of scheme.

NASA does something similar with their simulator in that they have bolt-in cabs for various aircraft. They also use a rail system+hexapod but theirs is in a vertical arrangement.
  8. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Well, if that is what they want to simulate then I guess you don't need fine detail...

Mounting a couple tonne factory stock on the platform would be stupid on their part.
    A much lighter gutted version with controlled feedback would make much more sense.

None the less, it is an amazing system, with a stellar price tag. I will make sure to hop in for a ride when I'm around. :)
  9. CXCSimulations

CXCSimulations Member

Balance:
    - 9Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, me too!!

It does seem a waste, but hey, it's their money :)
  10. R-eng

R-eng Member

Balance:
    28Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you watch the video carefully, they show and explain that each wheel hub has a vertical vibration system (about the 4min mark) for ride comfort evaluation, along with a 330 deg rotational platform (for yaw feel) on top of the hexapod/inside the dome. The x/y axis flat platform can achieve 0.5G with a max speed of 6.1 m/s, which is plenty good for non-spirited driving. After all, Toyota is promoting safe driving analysis according to them, and not racing!

R-eng
  11. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    You mean @ 1:40 and 2:30? The video is 3min long. :)

Now, the vibration through the wheel hub would do the job!
  12. R-eng

R-eng Member

Balance:
    28Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  13. dhweizel

dhweizel New Member

Balance:
    339Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I read somewhere that the ultra secret McLaren F1 simulator is based in a similar concept (and is as large as a football field) but i don´t find anything to support this claim, it seems really ULTRA SECRET :eek: