1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Lead on Ball Screw 4 or 5mm?

Discussion in 'Motor actuators and drivers' started by Juel-dk, Nov 26, 2016.

1. Juel-dk

Juel-dk New Member

Balance:
    89Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi all.

After reading page after page on this forum, it seems to me like everyone is using 1605 ballscrews wich has a 5mm lead. why dont you use 4mm lead types like the 1604? it seams to me that it would give more control and more startup torgue.
    Any insights?

Regards
    Morten
  2. Juel-dk

Juel-dk New Member

Balance:
    89Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok, I see the problem now.. Speed..
    Lets say that we are aiming 600mm/s and we have a 5mm lead, we need a rps thats 120 = 7200rpm. if we use a lead on 4mm that's 9000rpm
    And if we want a 600mm travel, we are pusing the limits of the ballscrew allready at around 5000rpm :/ I think that a 16mm rod is to small.. 25mm rod could reach 600mm/s on a 600mm stroke.. :)
  3. adgun

adgun Active Member

mechanic
    Balance:
    5,540Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 3 / -0
    A 1610 screw can make 600mm/sec.
    0,8 nm give 100kg force with 1604 screw
    1nm give 100kg gorce with 1605 screw
    2 nm give 100kg force with 1610 screw
    hope this helps
  4. Juel-dk

Juel-dk New Member

Balance:
    89Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, but 600mm/sec is not without problems, 1610 can't do it with a 700mm stroke.. not without several bearings.
  5. adgun

adgun Active Member

mechanic
    Balance:
    5,540Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 3 / -0
    It depends all how the screw is supported,with bearings!
  6. Juel-dk

Juel-dk New Member

Balance:
    89Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree, but if you want to make a actuator with the "normal" design, you can only have a normal bearing in one end, and a bushing in the other, then the problem begins :)
  7. adgun

adgun Active Member

mechanic
    Balance:
    5,540Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 3 / -0
    I agree also, but there are actuators with two pushrods to(not often used) but they have the space to fit a bearing on top of screw. Bearing is supported within top block between the two pushrods
  8. Juel-dk

Juel-dk New Member

Balance:
    89Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok, im in the process of drawing sketches for making my own actuators, so i'm not limited in my choice of design. I wanna build a simulator like the motion-sim version: And i want it to kick ass ;)
    So here is the big equation. i want 600mm/s movement, for that it seems like I need a xx10 ballscrew, that goes 4200rpm, for that engine to still have some punch, I cant figure out if a 24V 1kW engine with around 5Nm is enought, I need to have both speed and punch :/ Many of the threads in here are talking about 350W 12V engines, thats way to small for that kind of simlulator I think..
  9. adgun

adgun Active Member

mechanic
    Balance:
    5,540Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 3 / -0
    I dont think you gonna get 4200rpm and 5nm with 1kw
    1.5/2kw looks more like it.
  10. Juel-dk

Juel-dk New Member

Balance: