1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Kuka Racing Simulator 6 DOF

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by happytriger2000, May 13, 2011.

1. happytriger2000

happytriger2000 New Member

Product DesignerPart time cnc operator.
    Balance:
    348Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hi,
    I'm not sure if this is right place for this post if it is not, I apologize.
    I want to know if there's anyone here who is planning or already on his way on making a 6 axis Robot simulator like this one:

and does Xsim software support this type of simulator?

thaks,
  2. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  3. happytriger2000

Balance:
    348Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hi Dsft,
    Yes, the Ferrari F1 simulator.
    I have a Kuka KR200 KRC1 and I'm thiking of using Xsim with the robot for Car racing simulator, don't know if its possible?
    Here is what I've done with other collegues recently:

By the way, how do I show the youtube clip in the post?, I click youtube tab, do I then put the embedded code in between the like this ---> xxxxxx or the address of the link?

thanks,
  4. RaceRay

RaceRay Administrator Staff Member SimAxe Beta Tester

Self-employed | Web and application development
    Balance:
    23,837Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,965 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, SimforceGT
    I edited your posts for correct implementing of the youtube link.
    When you are on a youtube site, e.g.

Just put THAT code between the tags. Isn´t difficult, isn´t it?
    It does not work, when you copy a syntax different link.

Regards
  5. RaceRay

Balance:
    23,837Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,965 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Just edit your post to see the working sourcecode for your youtube video.
  6. happytriger2000

Balance:
    348Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Thanks Raceray!!
  7. Princemester

Princemester New Member

Robotic Engineer
    Balance:
    373Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Happytriger
    I too have been thinking of using an industrial robot in a sim situation see here :

industrial-robot-for-x-sim-use-t3342.html

Unfortunately asking for help on the communication side resulted in a slap on the wrist for creating some sort of death machine using x-sim software , i don't suppose it might occur to people that i am totally aware of the capabilities of industrial robots having worked with them for 15 years (11 of them with one of the biggest manufacturers ABB) .

Thanks again guys i'll figure it out myself .
  8. RaceRay

Balance:
    23,837Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,965 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Don´t understand us wrong. It would be very nice to see a KUKA or similar robotic arm working with x-sim, but as sirnoname is the developer of x-sim software, it is very important that he clarifies that he is not responsible for any damage which could occur by using the x-sim software. Just tell us more details about controlling the industrial roboter and i am sure that someone is able to give you useful hints.
  9. happytriger2000

Balance:
    348Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    I will have another spare KR150/200 soon, and will use this robot for this robot simulator project.
    Net device is needed for linking computer to kuka or Ethernet, will ask a techician for further explanations on this.
  10. Fraza44

Fraza44 Member

Balance:
    651Coins
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    I wanted to resurrect this old thread from 2011 to see if anyone would be interested in starting a discussion about using a Industrial Robot (IR) as a simulator platform. So in order to open the discussion because sooner or later someone will do this at the DIY level as prices on IR drop and better quality used inventory is available.

Couple of discussion point to slow down the spread of flames:

1. Yes, this would be a more expensive approach to building racing or flight simulator.
    2. No, I'm not talking about just attaching a chair to a IR and having it fling you round the room. I'm talking about putting safety first and using all available hardware and software safety measures to protect life and limb.
    3. No, this discussion is not for developing a commercial product, this would be strictly for the adventurous DIY who has funds, space, electrical power, knowledge or willingness to learn robotic as it relates to simulation and most of all plenty of time and patients.
    4. Lets save allot of time and not post a 1000 you'll kill yourself or tear down your house and make the assumption the Spirit of DIY can be applied to a Industrial Robotic and a Hobbyist.
    5. I hope those with Robotic experience will chime in and understand that you will not be held responsible or bashed for provides some input on what could be an enlightened subject.
    6. 2, 4, and 6 DOF flight simulators most likely started out on the commercial side and eventually some DIYs said "HEY! I want one of those"
    7. Yes, IR are and can be dangerous if not respected and handled properly so invite your Robot Buddies to jump in on this discussion and debate how to over come problems which would lead to a safe build of a IR based simulator.

Hope someone folks will jump in this thread and so we can lay a ground work which will either aid or hinder
    someone from this cause of TOMFOOLERY.
  11. Fraza44

Fraza44 Member

Balance:
    651Coins
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Some topics to throw out based on my research so far:

1. What is the easiest Industrial Robot (IR) to work with for such a project. There seems to be a allot of research paper related to using a Kuka robot since that's what the commercial side has used.

2. What application are available to allow integration of Simtools and other telemetry program with a IR controller.

3. What payload compacity would be needed?

4. How would you design IR mounting system to allow multiple simulator module such as Racing/Flight, Motorcycle, Helo, Hand gliding, Skiing and other simulations to be basically snapped into place on one IR.

5. How do you prep your IR space such as electrical needs (Phase converters & Transformers for 400v+), proper clearance, floor support for robot weight, control desk with proper safety measure, buying and shipping a IR to your home.

6. What older version of robot controllers would allow the easiest programming and integration with TCP/IP, UDP, PLC, and other application and hardware need to communicate with game simulation computer.

I know there is a butt load of topics to be considered but I thought I would just throw a few items that have been on my mind to see if any wants to jump in.

Once again don't be shy about jumping in on this topic and remember whether we like it or understand it, some DIY will take on this project if it hasn't already happened. MMONE probably started out like just a crazy idea but they went commercial.

If you know of a forum where this type of project is already being discussed then by all means please drop a link.
    • Like Like x 2