1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Krusty's Build Log - 2DOF

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Krusty, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Krusty

Krusty New Member

Balance:
    142Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    Warning.... I'm not sure if I will stick with this as I tend to have a lot of projects incomplete at any given time... As my saying goes, "A project is always complete once I've learned I can complete it..." Just my way of saying sometimes it's OK to quit a project mid stream! LOL

I have looked at building motion simulators for about 10 years now and now that my son is 14 years old, works part time at a local race track and wants his own simulator I guess it's time to finally see what I can cobble together with old parts.... I've got a decent maker's workshop with a lots of electronics (Arduinos), a 6090 CNC, 45W CO2 Laser and various wood working tools, etc.

I am starting to play with some large steppers from a half completed 4x8 CNC build that I ran out of space for and abandoned. Yes I know, steppers are not at all ideal, but I figure if nothing else it should be a great intro into physics / geometry of a rig etc and a good place to get started now without an initial investment. With a bit of luck I am hoping my son can score a bunch of old parts from the garage at the race track like a seat, Universal Joints etc.

BTW, I once built a fully functional Arduino based 737 Auto-Pilot panel for Microsoft Flight Sim, but never tackled the motion simulator...

Looking to have fun at least and learn lots! Thanks for having me at your party!
  2. Krusty

Krusty New Member

Balance:
    142Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    As I mentioned above, I started playing with a Large-ish stepper.

It is a NEMA 23 (57BYGH115-003B) 425oz-in.

I am building it into a giant servo motor and am coupling it with a 3:1 belt drive to increase torque. With a 2 inch lever I calculate it to be approximately 40 lbs of lifting force.

My current plan is to couple it with an arduino and drive it with a Servo signal exactly like your run of the mill servo. I will probably integrate a hall effect sensor for positional calculations.

Rough dimensions of the "servo" are 6" x 4" x 7.5" and I am driving it with 24V on a Wantai Stepper driver at full step for greatest troque.

BTW, I found SimCalc, what an awesome tool, thank you!

Here are a couple of pictures so far... IMG_2698.jpg
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Haraguchi

Haraguchi Member

Gas rig operator
    Balance:
    120Coins
    Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    Yes !
    Nice building on wood !

Watching !
  4. Krusty

Krusty New Member

Balance:
    142Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    Thanks!

Small update, I found a 10K potentiometer and quickly 3D printed up a housing to hold it. I wrote a very quick temporary Arduino script to read the "servo" position and then drives the stepper towards the set point and all works well! I then cut out a 3" servo horn and it's got some nice torque to it, but I'm not sure if it will be enough. ill play again tomorrow evening...
  5. Edaurdo

Edaurdo Member

Balance:
    190Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Very good work! Please, tell me how your project continues