1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question Kangaroo vibrating and shaking violently .

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by David Harbour, Dec 27, 2020.

1. David Harbour

David Harbour Member

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    479Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, Motion platform
    Hi can I ask anyone who has experience of the Dimension Engineering’s Kangaroo controller.

The problem I am having is that the motors vibrate and shake violently in the downward motion and it is not so bad going in reverse generally ok I have tried this in simtools with the same effect .

I have tried all the settings in DEScribe with no effect.

Thanks
  2. Sam Neall

Sam Neall Member

Balance:
    84Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    This sounds like a SMC3 issue. Maybe try changing the baud rate. I have a Sabertooth which is also made by Dimension Engineering and I never had to configure anything on it. I had the same issue with the motor skipping when going down and I fixed it with changing the baud rate from 500000 to 115200.
  3. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,875Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,079 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    did you use the autotune kangaroo function?

what is your mechanical setup? some pics?
  4. David Harbour

David Harbour Member

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    479Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi Sam
    thanks for the reply, at the time of writing I was having issues with Kangaroo controller and the sabertooth, without using the SMC Software although I have had issues since I decided not to use the Kangaroo Controller and went over to SMC.

The problem I was having with the Kangaroo was severe oscillations in the downward motion that I could not get rid of, to the point the motors would lock up, this was more pronounced on the right motor.

I have also tried SMC again with problems, I think the root cause is in the design and implementation of the hall sensors, my first attempt was using a pully system this seemed ok but i am getting to many errors so I am in the process my hall sensor mounting to be driven direct from the motor.

Attached Files:

5. David Harbour

David Harbour Member

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    479Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi RaceingMat

Thanks for your reply, I did use the autotune function and managed to get a successful tune using limit switches I tried this three times and it worked every time, the autotune that is.

but after the tune in Simtools I had severe oscillations in the downward motion to the point the motors would lock up and i would need to reset the simulator.

I think the root cause is in the design and implementation of the hall sensors, my first attempt was using a pully system this seemed ok but i am getting to many errors so I am in the process my hall sensor mounting to be driven direct from the motor, at this point to rewire my simulator to make this work.

Attached Files:

6. Sam Neall

Sam Neall Member

Balance:
    84Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Oh ok. I have never used my motors in the DE software, to be honest I didn't know you could haha. I have had very similar problems to yours where a motor will oscillate when going one direction but move smooth the other direction. This was only prevalent in one motor for me and occurred after using the simulator for about a minute. The baud rate setting has been known to cause these really weird issues.
    I have my sensor direct driven, but I would experiment with the baud rate because your design could be fine. Try changing it to 115200 on the game engine and the Arduino code. Some off-brand Arduinos like the one I have cant handle 500000.
    • Informative Informative x 1