1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Just starting out

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by Haldus, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Haldus

Haldus New Member

Balance:
    261Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Joyrider
    Ok I've decided to I want to build a motion simulator as my next project and you guys seem to know tons about it. I am looking to build a sim that can be used for racing or flight so I was thinking the Joyrider design looks right up my street. Currently I am planning and pricing different options to see what is best, pvc or aluminum, motor control boards etc, so I thought I might try to tap some of the wealth of knowledge on this forum.

First off I'm looking to make a good sim but I don't have very much money to throw around so cheaper is better :). As far as control boards go for the motors, what are the options? I have heard Pololu Jrks mentioned but they are quite pricey, is arduino with a motor shield an option? I have just finished building a Prusa Mendel 3D printer and have an arduino mega lying around so I don't mind getting into slightly more involved solutions.

All advice and discussion welcome!
    Haldus
  2. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,159 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Hi Haldus and welcome aboard!

I recently completed my own 2DoF motion platform using an Arduino (with RacingMat's 4 DOF sketch), 2 Pololu 755 driver boards, two 12v boat winches and a deep cycle battery. Plus a bunch of square tube steel. Total price was around 500.00.

Arduino is 100% doable. I am sure RacingMat will chime in, you should check out his build thread he did a great job and very well detailed.

I would love to see a build thread on your 3D printer if you have one!

Again, Welcome to XSimulator.net!
  3. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello and welcome.
    Yes if you are code handy, arduino.
    If you are code useless, like me, Pololu JRK 12v12. Cost about $99US each.
    Arduino can be used on bigger h-bridges, so if yo want to go 24v or bigger , that can be done.
    research is being done into the Kangaroo control board as well, it is self tuning, and less code complicated I believe.
    Frame build, take your choice of material. Ive done at least 10 different variations in 2DOFs , started with a Joyrider design, then went to full frames and seat movers.
    Motors for 12v, boat winches as Historiker says, a few guys have used them. Or 12v 200watt big worm gear motors http://www.motiondynamics.com.au/worm-drive-motor-12v-24v-200w-180-rpm-20nm-torque.html or ebay dayton equivalent.
    PVC is sturdy enough, but use PN18 or class 18.
    Steel, well, most popular.
    Aluminium as well I have seen done.
    Do you have a particular design in mind for a frame?